I've heard on some recordings a kind of scratchy/slidey sound when guitarists change chords or notes - and I do it myself. I thought that was correct, but it seems like a bad technique. Is that right? I've been trying to practice physically taking my hand off the guitar to minimise this effect, but even on clean you can hear either the vague ringing of the chord/note you just played (when you don't want it) or the note of the open string.

Can someone help me?
its called string raking
its pretty difficult to get rid of (i actually dont think you can)
some guitarists embrace it
you can try palm muting, that might help

or you can start using flat-wound strings
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by roarinflames
you can try palm muting, that might help

Though it's easier to do than it is to explain, this is absolutely 100% correct. The way you position your palm on the bridge can be pretty essential for muting any strings you're not using or any unwanted noise between notes.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
So I should try to avoid string raking then? Is it considered sloppy playing?
Not considered sloppy, and in some cases I think it works best with certain songs.
But it always helps to learn how not to do it.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by GirlGerms
So I should try to avoid string raking then? Is it considered sloppy playing?

It's still pretty much inevitable, no matter what. But there are techniques to minimize it. Hell, sometimes even picking the right guitar and amp counts. I get more finger-squeak out of my cheap Peavey Predator than I do out of my seven-string, just from the way the pickups are wired.

So maybe try out other guitars too, see if you're still getting the same sound.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Some guitarists think it's sloppy while others thinks it compliments a song. It's all personal opinion. I for one love the sound, it makes the song sound more real to me. Especially on good acoustic track. So whatever you think sounds best.