Ok so my band has got our first gig at some charity thing called oxjam. The problem is they have no amps there and we all only have 15w amps.Would we be able to mic them up or would it not work? Also could you give me some tips cuz im a little nervous lol.

All help apprieciated
Hey there.
I would check with the venue before hand to make sure they can mic you. As far as nerves go, that gets better with more shows.
most venues will mic up as nearly everywher uses a PA system
for nerves
just look confident and don't sacrifice movement for playing correctly
go over the songs with your band until you dont make any mistakes whatsoever and moving around, then on stage you should be alright
Maybe they could run your instruments into their mains, depending on what kind of system they have going on down there. You should go ahead of time to get it checked out.

For nerves, looking confident is more than half of it. Also, when your heart beats fast, just take deep breaths and jump right in!

Hope that helps.
If you're a sociable person or come from a musical family there's also the possibility of borrowing equipment from someone who trusts you.

How the frick were you getting by on fifteens? Is this fifteen SS or fifteen tube? Is your drummer a six year-old girl with a bass and toms packed full of blankets?

And for the performance, stay in your comfort zone. If you try to be too animated like Frank Iero or Hendrix you're going to end up botching your parts. Try not to stand still, but don't be afraid to if the other option is missing the right fret. And don't be a Joe Bro and kick someone's cab over, be considerate.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Mar 10, 2009,
Learn your parts and scrounge whatever equipment that you can get you hands on at the gig as someone might be nice enough to let you use it
Are you playing on your own or are there other bands on the bill?

If there's other bands, maybe you could ask the band that's on after you if you can borrow their amps for your set.
Point out to them the advantages of doing this, such as that it'd make sure their amps were really well soundchecked and warmed up before their gig and that it would make the changover from your band to theirs a lot quicker and easier.

Promise not to abuse any of their gear and also promise not to change any settings without permission first.

Above all, ask them weeks before the actual gig, there's no point waiting until you see them at the gig before you ask.
Contact the gig organiser who will have a contact number for them.
Quote by superfish123
most venues will mic up as nearly everywher uses a PA system
for nerves
just look confident and don't sacrifice movement for playing correctly
go over the songs with your band until you dont make any mistakes whatsoever and moving around, then on stage you should be alright

In my experience, unless you're on the pro circuit, the only venues with a full house PA are the ones who'll rip you off with crappy pay-to-play policies. You know the sort, ones with 'showcases' where each band plays for barely half an hour and charges all your friends through the nose to get in...?

Practically every paying gig I've ever played was unmic'd, using the band's PA for vocals amnd everything else raw.
Most of the Oxjam events round here have been smaller venues, pub function rooms and that, so you'll probably have to borrow amps from whoever else is on the bill.
Quote by guitarherolol
We only have 15 watt amps cuz were all 12/13 lol.

r u serious?!?!and ur gonna have a gig...jesus ive been playing for 4 years and i still havent gotten one with my band

=(*hangs head in shame*
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by guitarherolol
We only have 15 watt amps cuz were all 12/13 lol.

Well there you go. That's why you aren't getting gigs, bro. I'm sorry. It's an adult's world and absolutely no one is going to take you seriously, though maybe some will "humor you", regardless of your intelligence, maturity, or past deeds. If you want a gig, you're going to have to make one. :\
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Well there you go. That's why you aren't getting gigs, bro. I'm sorry. It's an adult's world and absolutely no one is going to take you seriously, though maybe some will "humor you", regardless of your intelligence, maturity, or past deeds. If you want a gig, you're going to have to make one. :\

actually thats bull****
If you are a 12 year old band that can play through a song or too and look all cute, you can get eat up by disney producers and marketed and put out onto the world and be a bunch of cutesy little assholes while other bands struggle to make it through. Go on myspace and search for Kicking Dasies. A bunch of ****ty little kids who play mediocre music are being backed by the producer for *shutters* the jonas brothers and are recording an album and have a viral marketting deal. Market is all about money and they can make alot of money off these little kids if they can play.
Quote by Highwaytohell
actually thats bull****
If you are a 12 year old band that can play through a song or too and look all cute, you can get eat up by disney producers and marketed and put out onto the world and be a bunch of cutesy little assholes while other bands struggle to make it through. Go on myspace and search for Kicking Dasies. A bunch of ****ty little kids who play mediocre music are being backed by the producer for *shutters* the jonas brothers and are recording an album and have a viral marketting deal. Market is all about money and they can make alot of money off these little kids if they can play.

You have a point, but judging by his System of a Down avatar, Ibanez RG and Spider III I don't think he'd take an offer from Disney if held at gunpoint. And even so, bands made of young people are marketed to the same age group, ala The Naked Brothers band, which is backed by Nickelodeon, and I don't think that'd square with him either if he wants to play anything heavy.

By the way, for the sake of my dignity, I have a seven year-old brother and that's why I'm familiar with the Naked Brothers Band.

EDIT: Wait. I was looking at brooklynsoulja. I'm a dumbass. But the post is still valid, OP listens to Green Day and Nirvana.
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Mar 13, 2009,