Page 1 of 4
Hey, i know a friend who knows someone at his work and his friend... etc.
My friend said he can get me a Macbook for £150 or Macbook Pro for £250. Now obviously this is a big bargain but the one catch is they were taken off the back of a lorry and now these people are trying to sell them fast

The price is excellent but I wanted to know your serious :p opinions on whether i should go ahead with this. ( i will get to check it out before i buy)

Also if it was taken off the back of a lorry is there any chance when i connect to the Internet, authoritys will trace is with like a MAC address or something?

Thanks
/CENTER]
I wouldn't buy stolen stuff.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I wouldn't, if I did I'd probably build a steel box to use it in so noone can trace me

*puts on tin-foil hat*
Hmm, interesting. They most likely will be traceable, considering they will have records of all service tags of the missing stock from Apple. Don't buy it. If you get caught, you lose your laptop and your money.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Hmm, interesting. They most likely will be traceable, considering they will have records of all service tags of the missing stock from Apple. Don't buy it. If you get caught, you lose your laptop and your money.

I see, yeah its just that its such a mint bargain where they are usually worth over a grand. Could i not use some sort of proxy software to hide it?
/CENTER]
You really think they would have a list of every laptop with the MAC codes? They would have a list that said "X quantity of X item" but they wouldn't have the mac address and other vital information. Even if they would, mac spoofing FTW.

Edit.

It's possible about the service tags, although highly unlikely. 1000's of people buy stolen items from "the back of a lorry", I imagine Apple would be more likely to want to find the person who stole them than the products themself.
Last edited by dandadog at Mar 10, 2009,
yeah they can trace you and forget about trying to register with apple. when you first start up the os you have to create an account with them and give them all your information so be careful with that too.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
as long as you get me one. No.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
If you know someone who is buying one/has bought one- wait 3 months. If they get caught don't use it- sell it to some new guy for double what you paid. Wait a while. It is either a great score or a great investment. Buy it and tuck it under your bed. (Presuming you have a way to determine if they are being tracked in real life compounded with your research into the matter.)
Couldn't you quite easily deny that you knew where they came from? Or just buy legit.
buying and being in possession of stolen property is still a criminal offense i believe..

Feigning ignorance won't get you off the hook either.

but on the other hand..

its unlikely you'd get caught if you were to let it 'cool down' for a few months first.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I say go for it. It's risky, but if you do get away with it you'll be bloody glad you went for it.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
I say go for it. If the cops turn up at your door just say the guy said it was his old Mac and he wanted to sell it.

FUREDIT: Also This:
Quote by Kivarenn82

its unlikely you'd get caught if you were to let it 'cool down' for a few months first.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Last edited by benjy118 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by pl0x
Also if it was taken off the back of a lorry is there any chance when i connect to the Internet, authoritys will trace is with like a MAC address or something?

Probably not, but posting about it publicly on an internet forum makes you an idiot and would probably make it easier for them to track you if someone found out about this post. Congratulations!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
KK thanks for your opinions guys

To be honest its £250 for something thats over £1300

I don't think i could live life wondering if i got away with it. So this week ill check it out possibly and if the police want it back ill just have to let it go.

Il most likely unopen it for a few weeks and see what the crack is xD
/CENTER]
There is a high probability that the serial number of the stolen comp would be known by apple. You try to register it, they flag it, and then track it down using your IP address. You end up getting screwed.

P.S. Here's a thought, buy the laptop, if you do get found, flip on the dicks that stole it, and cut a deal to get them.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Nice, buying stolen stuff is definetly not illegal (notice the sarcasm)... Do not do it mate!
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Last edited by TaV0 at Mar 10, 2009,
Your risk. Just have fun knowing that the pricks who stole the laptop have cost people thousands of pounds just so they can get a quick sale for a few hundred.
RULE BRITANNIA
Just buy it and don't use it for a while. See if you can find some techie-geek that would have some more information for you.

So basically, you didnt bang a girl, because she was shocked how small it was.
Lolz @ j00 and your tiny p3n1s.

I *heart* Metal ----Violent J----
Quote by travislausch
Probably not, but posting about it publicly on an internet forum makes you an idiot and would probably make it easier for them to track you if someone found out about this post. Congratulations!

Right...

No one can track me, im signed on as a guest at a public computer place specifically to ask you people. So so far im anonymous, and i don't think police go looking for "pl0x"

EDIT: i don't care if police turn up at my door, ill tell them i bought is 2nd hand. Im only bothered about the chance of them taking it =P
/CENTER]
Last edited by pl0x at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by pl0x
Right...

No one can track me, im signed on as a guest at a public computer place specifically to ask you people. So so far im anonymous, and i don't think police go looking for "pl0x"

Well, they can contact UG, get your most used IP adress, and track you that way. SO if you've ever logged into this website on a computer that you, or someone you know owns, they'll find you.

EDIT: The only chance involved is if they find you. If they do, they will take it.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at Mar 10, 2009,
Say it was a present from a friend.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
and clicking on your profile does tell quite a lot about you, im sure they could find you lol
dont do it! and what exactly is a lorry?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by tommyza
and clicking on your profile does tell quite a lot about you, im sure they could find you lol

lol i suppose
but off topic :p

Just wanted to know if they could trace the MAC, there seems to be mixed opinions but i think i will probably go for it
/CENTER]
Quote by Shirate
Well, they can contact UG, get your most used IP adress, and track you that way. SO if you've ever logged into this website on a computer that you, or someone you know owns, they'll find you.

This. Not saying the will, but they could if they really wanted to.

Besides, breaking the law is pretty stupid anyways. I could do an essay response about lack of motivation to work leading to lack of wealth and its correlation to crime, but nah. I just combat the urge to steal things by working to attain my goals. Why should I need to screw someone else over in the process? The thought processes of kids these days just boggles my mind.
I say buy it and buy one in a store then put the stolen one in the box and go to the store asking to have your money back. You'll have a legit macbook
umm I think theres an obvious no risk option here.

Buy it, put it on Ebay for triple the price. Hello profit.
Quote by Kastöm

Lol i was considering buying two, one for eBay but then that would be too far xD
/CENTER]
Quote by travislausch
This. Not saying the will, but they could if they really wanted to.

Besides, breaking the law is pretty stupid anyways. I could do an essay response about lack of motivation to work leading to lack of wealth and its correlation to crime, but nah. I just combat the urge to steal things by working to attain my goals. Why should I need to screw someone else over in the process? The thought processes of kids these days just boggles my mind.

Some laws are stupid though.

I smoke weed all the time, and that is against the law where I am.

Robin hood broke the law all the time to get food to poor people.

I know this is a different case with a laptop and stolen goods, but laws are not necessarily good things.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by Kastöm

then the guyt who buys it gets in ****, you get blammed for stealing it
uhhh HELLO?!?!?

1. buy stolen laptop
2. dont use it
3. sell on ebay
4. PROFIT

my best mate bought a laptop mint off a guy in his school, for very little. it worked fine etc. no problem with it, but i found out it was stolen when i tried installing vista for him, because his windows key for xp which he had been using had been invalidated by microsoft.
he never got traced etc. and he even took vista off it and put back the invalid version of xp, and still runs on it, hes never had trouble.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Quote by ScottElwood

I smoke weed all the time, and that is against the law where I am.

Robin hood broke the law all the time to get food to poor people.

I know this is a different case with a laptop and stolen goods, but laws are not necessarily good things.

Yeah, i know buying it is illegal, but i'l take the risk. I smoke the shizz as well and it is illegal in most places lerk xD
/CENTER]
Quote by ScottElwood

They are. I'm not debating how stupid some laws are (I support the legalization of marijuana, despite wanting absolutely nothing to do with it myself). But at the same time, people in our day and age are just lazy bums who don't amount to anything, ruined by a lax educational system and a complete lack of discipline from their parents. It almost seems like no one is motivated to actually work to reach their goals anymore, and people will resort to crime for just about everything. Maybe that's not the case outside of my area, but it seems like most kids these days think that the only way to have fun is to break the law, and anything less than that is for pussies. But there are the rare people in high schools nowadays that are working towards everything they want in life, still knowing that honesty, hard work, and integrity are the most important tools for success, even though our kids are practically being taught by their young, apathetic parents, and their uncaring teachers that yes, screwing everyone else over for your own benefit is actually pretty okay, as long as you don't get caught!

It's sad to be seeing our generation go to sh*t like this.
Quote by travislausch
They are. I'm not debating how stupid some laws are (I support the legalization of marijuana, despite wanting absolutely nothing to do with it myself). But at the same time, people in our day and age are just lazy bums who don't amount to anything, ruined by a lax educational system and a complete lack of discipline from their parents. It almost seems like no one is motivated to actually work to reach their goals anymore, and people will resort to crime for just about everything. Maybe that's not the case outside of my area, but it seems like most kids these days think that the only way to have fun is to break the law, and anything less than that is for pussies. But there are the rare people in high schools nowadays that are working towards everything they want in life, still knowing that honesty, hard work, and integrity are the most important tools for success, even though our kids are practically being taught by their young, apathetic parents, and their uncaring teachers that yes, screwing everyone else over for your own benefit is actually pretty okay, as long as you don't get caught!

It's sad to be seeing our generation go to sh*t like this.

Your right about that, i do have a job and i have money to buy one officially if i wanted to, but i think i might as well seeing as the price if good
/CENTER]
Page 1 of 4