I will be buying a Fender American Deluxe V Neck Stratocaster within the next couple days. I have been told that the pickups aren't exactly too great once you play them more and more. I liked the sound of the strat within the few hours I played it in the store, but it is always nice to look and research, just in case. I idolize John Mayer so I want a pickup that will sound like him, especially the solo on I Don't Trust Myself, as well as the guitar on Belief, Gravity, and Wheel. The most overdrive I will probably use is his Try! stuff or maybe some Stevie Ray Vaughan so I don't need too much. Basically, the set of pickups will have to go for a few key artists including John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton. Any ideas? It is an S-S-S guitar.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

How much are you willing to spend?
If you can go high enough, I'm thinking a set of Bareknuckle Apache's would do you well.
Here's a video of Hank Marvin (The guy with the strat and glasses) using them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQaZZuizTe4
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Big Dippers if I'm not mistaken are what JM uses in his Strats. As for the overdrive, the sound on both the Try! recording and a great deal of SRV's work is the original Ibanez TubeScreamer.

Hope that helps.
Quote by TimboSlice
Big Dippers if I'm not mistaken are what JM uses in his Strats. As for the overdrive, the sound on both the Try! recording and a great deal of SRV's work is the original Ibanez TubeScreamer.

Yes, +1
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
"Ultimate" is not an applicable term on this kind of stuff, as people have different tastes. Personally, I love Texas Specials and will vouch for them(I consider them the most evolutionary pickup since the Wide-range in 1972, the PAF before that and the single-coil before that, since it's been used in all sorts of genres while retaining a characteristic tone), but it all comes down to what you want. Anyway, based on the artist's you mentioned, it's simply, do you want more of a Stevie Ray, Mayer, Hendrix or Clapton sound? I assume Clapton is the most important amongst them for you since you mentioned him twice, so I'll go ahead and recommend seeing if you can find a lone Texas Special for the neck and a gold Lace Sensor in the mid and bridge positions. If you want Jimi's tone, a set of 69's is the way to go. Same for Mayer personally, though if you can scrounge for his signature since they don't sell Big Dipper pickups standalone yet, go for that, but the 69's are probably the closest you'll get I'd think. As for SRV, the Texas Special truly shines with his style of Texas Blues IMO, but a 69' will also work since I believe #1 was a 61' strat. Overall though, I'd definitely recommend a Lace Gold Sensor in the bridge and either a 69' or a Texas Special in the neck, and the mid depends on whether you want Clapton or Jimi. This isn't even considering boutique options like Lindy Fralin, or people who'll custom make them for you like CourdyEW(did I spell that right?). Keeping simple and stock though, those were my recommendations.

Hope that helped.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
you can't buy the big dippers unless its ebay, and they are usually about $400/set. No thanks.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

How much are you willing to spend?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
fender lace sensor reds. look them up now. i have one in my neck and it's amazing. so bluesy. get it, you won't be dissapointed. they didn't put lace sensors in the clapton strats for nothing, great pickups
No specific price range
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Lace Sensor Golds or Bare Knuckle Apaches would probably do you nicely for Mayer/Clapton, but for Hendrix/Stevie I'd suggest the Fender '69s, or if you can stretch further the Bare Knuckle Mother's Milks.

I'd reccomend the Bare Knuckles over anything but they're quite expensive.
Quote by necrosis1193
"Ultimate" is not an applicable term on this kind of stuff, as people have different tastes. Personally, I love Texas Specials and will vouch for them(I consider them the most evolutionary pickup since the Wide-range in 1972, the PAF before that and the single-coil before that, since it's been used in all sorts of genres while retaining a characteristic tone), but it all comes down to what you want. Anyway, based on the artist's you mentioned, it's simply, do you want more of a Stevie Ray, Mayer, Hendrix or Clapton sound? I assume Clapton is the most important amongst them for you since you mentioned him twice, so I'll go ahead and recommend seeing if you can find a lone Texas Special for the neck and a gold Lace Sensor in the mid and bridge positions. If you want Jimi's tone, a set of 69's is the way to go. Same for Mayer personally, though if you can scrounge for his signature since they don't sell Big Dipper pickups standalone yet, go for that, but the 69's are probably the closest you'll get I'd think. As for SRV, the Texas Special truly shines with his style of Texas Blues IMO, but a 69' will also work since I believe #1 was a 61' strat. Overall though, I'd definitely recommend a Lace Gold Sensor in the bridge and either a 69' or a Texas Special in the neck, and the mid depends on whether you want Clapton or Jimi. This isn't even considering boutique options like Lindy Fralin, or people who'll custom make them for you like CourdyEW(did I spell that right?). Keeping simple and stock though, those were my recommendations.

Hope that helped.

I usually don't agree with him, but this time I do. I would listen to him.

And BTW,

CLAPTON HAS A 25db MIDRANGE BOOST WHICH CONTRIBUTES TO HIS SIGNATURE TONE. I would also get one of these.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
I usually don't agree with him, but this time I do. I would listen to him.

And BTW,

CLAPTON HAS A 25db MIDRANGE BOOST WHICH CONTRIBUTES TO HIS SIGNATURE TONE. I would also get one of these.

It would be much easier to get either a middy set of pickups or a Klon Centaur overdrive, which has a massive mid hump.
Since Mayer's tone lacks mids, the Klon would be a good idea alongside some scooped pickups (such as Mayer's Fender Big Dippers) so you can go from a broad Mayer sound to a punchy Clapton growl.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
you can't buy the big dippers unless its ebay, and they are usually about $400/set. No thanks.

+1 to that.

Listen to necrosis, he pretty much gave you everything you need to know.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
a great blues single coil is the Dimarzio Blue Velvet. that should get you SRV, Clapton and Hendrix without thinking twice
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
SRV had over wound pickups in number 1. It's an interesting story, but they were kind of an accident. Anyway, the closest thing readily available these days is Texas Specials. I have them in my strat, and they sound amazing (to me). Check out Little Wing on my profile, the whole thing was recorded using the center and bridge pickups. Most of SRV's tone was in his amp setup and his hands though. Good luck with that.

Mayer on the other hand as someone mentioned has Big Dippers in his sig strat, but I read recently that he prefers underwound pickups ( http://www.stratocastertalk.com/showthread.php?t=21 http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-377221.html ) and doesn't use the big dippers all that often. Go figure... I played a JM sig with the Big Dipper pups, and was not impressed at all. It sounded "tinny", and for lack of a better term had no balls. Just my opinion though, I encourage you to try them all until you find what's right for you.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Last edited by strat2finish at Mar 11, 2009,