I didn't want to post this in any of the metal forums because i want to get a wider opinion.

How exactly do YOU define a song as 'heavy'? There are a lot of people who listen to all kinds of heavy music, and everyone has their own definition of what a 'heavy' song should sound like. I've always thought it was interesting how different people define this stuff, so I figure I'd ask to see what you guys have to say about it.

In my opinion, a song is heavy just by the overall feeling of the track: Things like big, distorted riffs; blasting drums; any tempo, ranging from slow to fast; pound your skull drum parts or an insane groove; and just an overall feeling of raw power and emotion that oozes from the song itself, whether it be through the instrumental parts, the vocal parts, or a combination of the two.
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

Last.fm Page
i think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Like the guy above me said, heavy is all about what you hear, nothing really describes it....but I'd say Gojira pretty much sums it up....especially Vacuity...
I find slow, crushing songs heavier than faster ones.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Slower songs with really strong rhythm, that you can really feel. Has to have a really fat (For lack of a better term) sound. Blast beats and lots of double bass take all heaviness out of a song for me, it should have slow drums with a very obvious bass beat.
Quote by Geiger89
Blast beats and lots of double bass take all heaviness out of a song for me, it should have slow drums with a very obvious bass beat.

I think I tend to agree with you on that, but (at least for me) if it's too slow than it kind of takes away from it unless its got some kind of groove to it...so real slow doom metal-type stuff can be heavy but I find it to be iffy sometimes.

Quote by TyrsFromAbove37
Like the guy above me said, heavy is all about what you hear, nothing really describes it

That's definitely what I'm getting at. I don't know why but I've always thought it was interesting how certain people perceive music a different way from others, and I love learning things about what other people hear when they listen to a song; I feel like it helps me grow a music listener and as a musician to know how other people hear different stuff
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

Last.fm Page
Heavy to me is slow, deep, songs with the emphasis on the rhythm section.
Most "heavy" bands I just like to describe as aggressive.
Quote by Just_Matt
Atta boy! *pats makefunoflucky and heads towards the rear...*
The music needs to produce so much tension that it almost smothers you.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
to me its the overal sound of the song
bc to me walk is the heaviest song out tere
Annoying.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

^ kindly shut the fuck up, you're not welcome in this discussion.

there is only one definition to "heavy"... distorted, slow, chunky, chugging, catchy, deep.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by ltd v100
to me its the overal sound of the song
bc to me walk is the heaviest song out tere

i definitely feel you on that, Walk is heavy as ****...but other people may not think so. In this specific case, it's a matter of the feel for sure, more specifically groove-type drumming and rhythm section stuff versus blast beat stuff you hear in death metal and similar genres
-Victor Hugo

Last.fm Page
The feel. It doesn't have to be super fast, slow, or uber distorted. "Tales of Brave Ulysses" by Cream is one of the heaviest songs ever, simply because of the feel. It's absolute chaos, and even moreso considering it's a 60's blues rocker.

Also, the drumming is completely necessary to make a heavy song. A steady rock beat is not heavy, pounding double bass can be heavy. Heavy is sheer aggression, in that you can hear every crack of the snare skin or bass head.

That's heavy.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I define heaviness with the potency of the riffs, say something like Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath, what makes it heavy is the dissonance in the riff, the grinding churning, but also it can be in the impact of a song, such as Curse you All Men! by Emperor, the fury of the the drums and guitars, it's a wall of power, but it's also a different kind of heavy, though sonically it's an assault, the Sabbath one can seem heavier due to the slow grind, rather than the fast. So yeah Basically the heavy factor is different due to different things, dissonance give a feeling of tension, which can lead to a 'heavy' feeling because it makes you uneasy, it could be a sonic assault with blast beats, it just just be the fact everything is ultra aggressive, It all really depends.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
i'm really into what a lot of you guys are saying, i definitely agree with a lot of the stuff on here but i never even thought to put that into consideration until you mentioned it, especially what Slaytanic and Dakkstar are saying.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Heavy is sheer aggression, in that you can hear every crack of the snare skin or bass head.

100% agree with you on this. the agressiveness and just raw power from a drum part can make a song completely
-Victor Hugo

Last.fm Page
Quote by Slaytanic1993
The feel.

Completely agree. A straight up hard rock band can sometimes be heavier than a metal band if they have the right riffs and groove. For example, Alice In Chains are pretty heavy though most people consider them grunge.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
You realise that The Beach Boys used a Wall of Sound?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Well, the song needs to be slow for me to be heavy at first, then, add some bad-ass bass and guitar, and a drum that would go with them.
The ultimate definition of a heavy song for me would be Sad But True by Metallica.
im into slow slow slowwwwww chug parts, with longs pauses between chugs with a nice vocal pattern in between.

oh, and china's and snare hits need to be excruiciating.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate