Poll: Can any idea be expressed through language?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can any idea be expressed through language?
Yes
30 35%
No
56 65%
Voters: 86.
I say that it can. But I always hear people say that some things 'you just can't put into words', and I think that's just bull****. I think that if you have a good grasp of whatever language you speak you can convey whatever you're thinking - even if it takes you a little while to formulate it.

Agree/disagree?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Yes, but it takes time and an audience capable of following your ideas.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by SG_dave
disagree... language doesn't have words for every possible concept/emotion. it's not possible as there are som many different "shades" of emotion etc.

It is possible to use more than one word to explain an emotion. And it is possible to find the right combination of words, every time.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by SG_dave
disagree... language doesn't have words for every possible concept/emotion. it's not possible as there are som many different "shades" of emotion etc.

Using a phrase such as "I can't put into words how much I..." denotes the degree of the feeling.

So Yes, any idea can be expressed with language.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.
Using a phrase such as "I can't put into words how much I..." denotes the degree of the feeling.

So Yes, any idea can be expressed with language.

cheat...

i believe that even using a combination cannot account for all possibilities.
there'll be times when you're stuck for words because you have no baseline to compare ,what you are trying to convey, to.
They can, but it's often more fun to use a Duffman-esque pelvic thrusting motion instead.
Theoretically, almost anything can be expressed through a language of some kind, but at the end of the day no human being will ever be able to express every possibility. Also, vocal language is not developed enough to do this anyway.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
It might be theoretically possible, but I know I can't always express myself as good as I'd like it. So, no.
I think it depends what you mean by express really...

As technically you could express everything, just that there are a lot of abstract concepts, or things that don't already have specific words for them, that can be very difficult to convey, and even then, it's just plain impossible for anybody to understand exactly what you mean, because the words you use are subject to your own interpretation of them, and when people hear them, they are given slightly different meanings by each person as a result of their own experiences and things slightly influencing their interpretation of the words.

I suppose there are some things that are just inherently so difficult to express as to be practically impossible.
No, real communication between humans isn't possible.

Geez, you guys haven't been reading enough beckett..
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
What about languages that only have 300-400 words?

Even translating from one common language to another, you can often notice that some words remain untranslated because there simply isn't a word to express it in the other language.
Quote by meh!
No, real communication between humans isn't possible.

Geez, you guys haven't been reading enough beckett..

Define 'real'?

Quote by You Never Know
What about languages that only have 300-400 words?

Even translating from one common language to another, you can often notice that some words remain untranslated because there simply isn't a word to express it in the other language.

There may be no one word to adequately translate a word in one language to another, but it could be done with a few words or sentences.
So you want us to talk about concepts that can't be expressed in words? Hmm . . .
Yo Adrian!
No.

There's a well known saying: "sometimes a picture says more than a thousand words" and that about sums it up.

Could Vincent van Gogh have accurately expressed his paintings without ever painting them but describing them verbally instead? Could Bach have explained his music without playing it or at least notating it? Surely those were ideas as well. But a non-verbal form of communication was necessary in order to convey them.

Similarly, it's impossible to describe the experience of being in love if the person you're explaining it to has never experienced it. When describing ideas like that, the reader/listener needs a reference point in the form of a personal experience in order to understand exactly what you're saying. And considering the fact that ideas are a product of one or several people's unique brains and that every person's thoughts are all affected by his/her unique previous experiences, you could even argue that every idea is inherently misinterpreted when put to words, even if it's just by a tiny fraction.
The expression comes from people who can't think of words that accurately express what they are trying to say. I can't think of any circumstances that can't be described with words.
Quote by JamesDouglas
Define 'real'?

Go read some 'Beckett'.

I'm not joking! Beckett's worth reading - art has a place in discussions and i'm not up for trying to synthesis beckett into a 100 word post.
words are finite and ideas are infinite. while language allows us to convey ideas to an extent, it is still failable and wholly inept when it comes down to it.

to say language can fully express ideas would be like saying that robotic duck i had as a kid that did backflips when you wound it up, is a real duck.

reality is bigger than a man-made creation.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Kapps
Yes.

Tell me of one idea that can't be.

Kapp's last tape?

This guy knows his beckett
Quote by meh!
Kapp's last tape?

This guy knows his beckett

You know what you should read? Some 'Stfu.'

Suggest a specific work of his for me to read? (Beckett, not Stfu)
I vote for no. Sometimes you ran out of words to say and some even say that "Words are not enough to express how I feel"... I am not a native-English speaker and I know that every language is as unique as a person. I can easily translate English to Filipino but I find it hard to express exactly the same amount of emotion when I'm translating Filipino to English. They are a totally different language. Although English has the most number of vocabulary words, I could say that not every Filipino word has equivalent English translation. Example:

nanghihinayang- I cannot translate it, but I will describe the emotion. It is like something has wasted and something has lost. There's some feeling of regret. But regret is not the exact word for that.

inumaga- If I would translate it to English it would be like "morninged". You say that word to someone if somebody come home late (in the morning of course).

nagtatampo- when I google-searched it, I haven't found any translation that would best describe it. But when one English friend researched for it, he said that the word equivalent in English language is "sulking". And when I looked in the dictionary, he was right. "Sulking" is the equivalent.

There are still many other words but I could only give a few...
Yes, I like to express my feelings through music lyrics, you guys should try it, a lot of girls at my school think it's cute.
Rush Rocks

Quote by Braiton
If Beiber is our generation's Cobain I can't see how that is a bad thing.
Just make sure the shotgun is loaded.