OK i couldnt for the life of me figure out why i coudnt get the sound of the real nice clear, high output fingerpicking that blink has, so i read an interview that he did with GC, and he said that he uses two amps, one on the clean channel with the gain turned up, and the other on the dirty channel. That gives him low end boost, with the clarity to hear all the notes perfect! It should work, in theory, right? So before i go and order another head, is this the possible answer to my... dilema? And how do i hook up two heads into one cab?
poop. funniest word ever.
Quote by fly135
You can't unless the cab is wired for stereo.

Yes he can, he just needs another line selector if he's got a mono cab. There's plenty that allow you to use Channel A, Channel B, or both.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Mar 10, 2009,
you'll get a muddy sound if you have 2 heads on the same cab. get a combo tube amp, like a fender for the cleans and whatever you already have for dirty.

then you need an A/B/Y box to split your guitar signal without tone loss. trust me, Y cables don't work well.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Yeah, get a Fender tube combo like a Blues Jr. What amp are you using right now?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
you'll get a muddy sound if you have 2 heads on the same cab.

Not necessarily true, bands with 2 guitarists often stereo if they've got mono cabs and it doesn't sound muddy at all (To the OP, Delonge uses 2 different stacks, but not everyone has a couple grand lying around for speakers). As long as your settings are set right it will sound fine, or else big shows would never mic the amps into PA systems.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by apollo66
Yes he can, he just needs another line selector if he's got a mono cab. There's plenty that allow you to use Channel A, Channel B, or both.
Two problems with this answer.

1) The way I read his question is that he want's to hear both amps at the same time. I may be wrong. If so you need a cab with two separate speaker circuits.

2) You can't just advise someone to disconnect a running amp from a cabinet unless you know what kind of amp it is. You should never disconnect a tube amp from it's load while it's turned on.
Quote by fly135

1) The way I read his question is that he want's to hear both amps at the same time. I may be wrong. If so you need a cab with two separate speaker circuits.

2) You can't just advise someone to disconnect a running amp from a cabinet unless you know what kind of amp it is. You should never disconnect a tube amp from it's load while it's turned on.

I think he just wants to use two amps at once, in which cause an a/b/y box would be sufficient.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by fly135

1.) No, you don't. Most channel selectors (like I said and like you quoted) allow you do do A/B/Y. Y gives him exactly what he's asking for.

2.) I know, but he was asking for 2 heads running through at once, again with the A/B/Y selector, the load is never disconnected.

Quote by chrisiphone

Yes, that is an option, although it doesn't allow you to run both at the same time, which is what I gather the OP is trying to do.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by Chrisiphone

way too expensive and doesn't let you run both amps at once.
Wow i sppreciate soo many responses. And yes, I am trying to run two amp heads at the same time, one on a clean channel, the other on a dirty. And i know delonge uses two stacks its just that youre right i dont have the 2 grand for the mesa cabs he uses. But, to give more info Im running a peavey 3120 into a winsdor cab right now and thought about buying the winsdor head as a nice cheap tube amp for the cleans. Plus i heard that the cleans on that head are kind of dirty so i think its what im looking for. I just need to know if
1) It will five me the sound im looking for and
2) how to make it come out of the same cab.
Quote by himynameisangel
Wow i sppreciate soo many responses. And yes, I am trying to run two amp heads at the same time, one on a clean channel, the other on a dirty. And i know delonge uses two stacks its just that youre right i dont have the 2 grand for the mesa cabs he uses. But, to give more info Im running a peavey 3120 into a winsdor cab right now and thought about buying the winsdor head as a nice cheap tube amp for the cleans. Plus i heard that the cleans on that head are kind of dirty so i think its what im looking for. I just need to know if

Unless the sound you're looking for is bad I doubt you'll like out of the same cab...
Quote by himynameisangel

Don't know if it will give you the sound you want, but my answer is the same. You need a stereo cab, or rewire an existing mono cab to separate the speakers. A 1x12 won't do it. You will need multiple speakers.

An A/B/Y selector is the wrong answer. That's not to say you can't use an A/B/Y selector in this situation. It would be useful. Just that it isn't the answer to the question.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 10, 2009,
I should have asked this before, but are you sure he runs the heads at the same time? I'm almost positive he does what a lot of other musicians do and just switches between a 'clean' amp and a 'gain' amp, not play through both at the same time.

An A/B/Y selector is the wrong answer. That's not to say you can't use an A/B/Y selector in this situation. It would be useful. Just that it isn't the answer to the question.

How will it not? He would need to use two but it gives him the exact solution he is looking for. Granted, it may not be the best one, but he does not need a stereo cab (it would certainly be easier, but he may not be able to afford it).

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
He is trying to run two heads at the same time with one speaker cabinet. The only way to do this is to have a separate speaker connected to each head. If he's using one cabinet, that implies either a stereo cabinet or a rewired mono cab (which is the same as stereo).

It is true that an A/B selector would be valuable in this particular setup, but the question is how to run two heads into one cabinet. And that has nothing to do with an A/B switch. Although Crisiphone's A/B switch was the correct answer for switching two heads with a mono cab. It wouldn't get you both heads playing together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxCqBa6jnr4
this is EXACTLY the sound im looking for the opening riff, and again at 0:52. You can hear how its really high gain, but you can hear every note CLEARLY. When i play it, around the 3rd and 4th notes it gets really, like, it all just mushes together, and thats with the lowest setting on the gain knob. I noticed the same thing on a JCM900, so im thinking that it HAS to be the clean channel and the gain channel mixing together to get that sound. If anybody can help me find that sound ill give them 20 bucks! But ive tried everything, except the two amp head thing.
Quote by apollo66
You seem to be completely missing the fact (which I have pointed out repeatedly) that most A/B switchers also allow you to run the Y option, which is both signals getting output at the same time. One cable, both signals, no need for a stereo cab.

What song is it? I can't get to youtube at work.

First Date.

and TS, it sounds like you want two seperate amps/cabinets/combos. however, for one cab, you will need at least two speakers, each with their own input.
The windsor is a terrible idea if you want clean tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can pull of the same thing with a Boss LS-2 and a distortion pedal...

You just set up the distortion pedal as a loop and then use the pedal to mix the levels between dirty and clean.

Now thats if I recall the manual correctly...
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by nbroers
You can pull of the same thing with a Boss LS-2 and a distortion pedal...

You just set up the distortion pedal as a loop and then use the pedal to mix the levels between dirty and clean.

Now thats if I recall the manual correctly...

hey i think this might work!, I think ill give this a try...