well im looking for a decent priced 212/halfstack that has nice cleans but a great drive channel...
i have a valveking 112 and i like the cleans and the drive channel is pretty good.

are there any 212 tube combos/halfstacks that will be a bit heavier than my valveking but still having nice/better cleans than it?

please recommend me something, my budget is about $700 and i'm able to buy used.

thanks
Bugera 333xl (something along the lines of that)?

what kind of overdrive tone are you going for?
5150 2x12 used.

/thread
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
5150 2x12 used.

/thread

not really a clean amp, is the only problem.
a used fireball,if you are lucky. Otherwise maybe a used XXX
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by Ghold125
not really a clean amp, is the only problem.

just slap on a reverb and delay pedal the cleans are manajable

edit: i also think the 5150 cleans beat the VK...and the 5150 has 3x the drive of a VK
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Mar 10, 2009,
the combo version of the 5150 has very good cleans compared to the head version. the combo is alot warmer and biased correctly. has better response then the heads. the stock 5150 heads are biased really cold and have a bit of cross over distortion between the power and preamp tubes which causes the heads to sound buzzy sometimes. the combos stock do not have this problem. the cleans are better cause of no crossover buzz. the cleans sound like the cleans on the 5150 IIs, but IMO sound better
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by HouseBoy83 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Peavey Ultra... Great Cleans and can handle rock to brutal...

+5
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by K!nj!
a used fireball,if you are lucky. Otherwise maybe a used XXX

i second the XXX

EDIT : third
ok, so right now i'm hearing about the peavey ultra, the xxx, and the 5150.
i've actually tried out a peavey 5150 212 combo and loved it. can anybody else confirm that the 5150 combos have better cleans/response/etc. than the heads?

and can anybody compare the gain/drive and cleans of the xxx vs the 5150 vs the peavey ultras (which appear to be discontinued, trying to google them for info

i'm also assuming these are all heavier amps than valvekings, correct? i know the 5150 is...
+1 to the Peavey XXX.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
xxx and 5150 have about the same amount of gain, but i think the 5150 has a bit more. And i think the xxx is brighter/more treble.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by dbl93100
ok, so right now i'm hearing about the peavey ultra, the xxx, and the 5150.
i've actually tried out a peavey 5150 212 combo and loved it. can anybody else confirm that the 5150 combos have better cleans/response/etc. than the heads?

and can anybody compare the gain/drive and cleans of the xxx vs the 5150 vs the peavey ultras (which appear to be discontinued, trying to google them for info

i'm also assuming these are all heavier amps than valvekings, correct? i know the 5150 is...

The heads are better then the combo's largely due the the transformer.

The XXX and Ultra are pretty much the same amp and sound Identical. The Ultra turned into the Triple and the word on the street is its the same circuitry with a few minor changes. I've owned the ultra and loved it as for gain the triple and Ultra are right up there with the 5150 but the major difference is voicing. The 5150 is alot more raw compared to the smooth gain structure of the Triple.

There all a ton heavier then the valveking, I used to own one of those as well and it sucks horribly for high gain applications. Its made to be a jack of all trades and a master of non and its really geared towards blues then anything. Also now I own a 6505+. So I have had my hands on all three amps and enjoyed all of them but for all out metal go with the 6505, if you need versatility and like a smoother gain structure go with the triple/ultra and if you want a low gain flat sound project amp go with the valveking.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 10, 2009,
^ but the xxx is more versatile and the 5150's gain is punchier and tighter imo
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Almost forgot if you want cleans go with the Triple of the Ultra there actually not half bad and are a ton better then the 5150. Thats were that versatility kicks in. The one other thing I noticed is cut through and note clarity, the 5150 is the way to go if you looking for that aspect.
thanks for all the help...
so what i've gathered is that the ultra and xxx have better cleans, and they're more trebly and bright. the xxx and ultra are very similar.

due to the good cleans, they're versatile.

the 5150 is higher gain, not as good cleans (and i'm getting contradicting info on what's better, the head or combo), but cuts through a lot more with better clarity.

anyone else have comments, comparisons?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The heads are better then the combo's largely due the the transformer.

The XXX and Ultra are pretty much the same amp and sound Identical. The Ultra turned into the Triple and the word on the street is its the same circuitry with a few minor changes. I've owned the ultra and loved it as for gain the triple and Ultra are right up there with the 5150 but the major difference is voicing. The 5150 is alot more raw compared to the smooth gain structure of the Triple.

There all a ton heavier then the valveking, I used to own one of those as well and it sucks horribly for high gain applications. Its made to be a jack of all trades and a master of non and its really geared towards blues then anything. Also now I own a 6505+. So I have had my hands on all three amps and enjoyed all of them but for all out metal go with the 6505, if you need versatility and like a smoother gain structure go with the triple/ultra and if you want a low gain flat sound project amp go with the valveking.

Listen to this man.

He wins.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.