Ok, so my band is ready to start playing some local shows are the area. Problem is, I can't get in touch with any venues or local bands. I managed to get one interested in letting us open, but they said they don't control who opens for them so we're out of luck.

Idk what to do. I've done everything the promoters asked me to do when I sent my info off and so far we've just been ignored by every other place out there. How do I get my band a show when no one will give us a chance?

And p.s. I know its not our recording because I've heard worse recordings from terrible bands and they've still gotten shows here locally
You keep playing sh*tty dive bars and clubs until you get reputation enough to be asked to come perform.

Or get a manager, who'll talk you guys up and do all that for you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Make friends with other bands
Get lots of myspace plays/views/friends so that if a venue looks at it they'll see that you're well known enough to draw a crowd
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by strat0blaster
You keep playing sh*tty dive bars and clubs until you get reputation enough to be asked to come perform.

Or get a manager, who'll talk you guys up and do all that for you.

Agreed. Try getting into local Hall shows that are put on by local bands and dont have promoters. Stick around on the scene for a while, and the managers might be a bit more willing to chat with you. Just because you know how to make up a press kit doesn't mean anything, especially if you're music isn't what they're looking for.
Get friendly with other bands so you can support em. Or rent out places and advertise it well so you make back your money as well as gain a few fans here and there
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I never once played a show where anyone in any band I was in gave any sort of recording to the booker. Are you trying to get into clubs and open up for like, signed bands, or something? Because you can pretty much just go to any dive and be like, "Hey, I got a Nu Metal band, you have any shows open?" "Yeah, you can play April 15th." "Ok, cool." I mean, it's really easy to play a show.. I think you must be trying too hard.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
1.ask bars if you can play there

2. request to be freinds with local bands on myspace/facebook whatever

3. hold your own concert and ask local buisnesss to sponsor you and ask the more popular bands in your area to come and play for you.

are town has a huge concert every year (huge for a town of 9,000 or so) called Rocktoberfest and its the first weekend of october and we just submitted a ****ty audacity recorded demo of 4 songs and we got in now (at age 15 all of us) we're playing with like 20 year olds and being payed and requested to play with them you just have to find a way to make it work
**** the person who owns the place you wanna play at

or

play as many gigs as you can that you have access too(like bars and small ****) and get noticed, then show-owners might see your band and ask
GO BRAVES
Quote by Thespade22
**** the person who owns the place you wanna play at

I speak from experience (well, I guess not me, my drummer, haha..), this works VERY WELL.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by GansterLi
Get friendly with other bands so you can support em. Or rent out places and advertise it well so you make back your money as well as gain a few fans here and there

Quote by ShredGod George
Make friends with other bands
Get lots of myspace plays/views/friends so that if a venue looks at it they'll see that you're well known enough to draw a crowd

I would love to be able to do this. My problem however is that none of the other bands will get back with us. All the local bands just tell us they don't have time. Seems like they've forgotten what its like to be a starting out band.

What exactly is in a press kit and what should they look like? I'm a complete n00b at this guys
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
I would love to be able to do this. My problem however is that none of the other bands will get back with us. All the local bands just tell us they don't have time. Seems like they've forgotten what its like to be a starting out band.

Maybe you guys need to work on your material. If you're your club scene's pariah, that's usually why.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Maybe you guys need to work on your material. If you're your club scene's pariah, that's usually why.

Well, they've never even heard us before, aside from whats on our profile. Plus, we're virtually unknown in the scene. We have no bad reputation, heck, we don't even have a good one either! I'm pretty much just wanting to know how to get my unknown band to get known and start playing shows
If your town is anything like mine there are at least twenty churches and they all want live music, for their congregation or their youth group. This is a great place to start, because while you will be given your setlist, it's a good place to drum up support, fans, and popularity, while at the same time gaining a powerful resource in the church- If you play well and get people paying attention, they will spot you cash for your expenses.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
****, what happened to Dutch Apples article about this? Damn Archives of the Best.....
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Depending on your style and lyrics a church may or may not be a good idea...

I have recently been getting a band together, and it is a reggae/rock/jam band/ska/etc band so that style wouldn't fit well for a church really. Also, there are actually some lyrics I have written which are religious, but I also have quite a few drinking, smoking, and party songs and I highly doubt a church would be the right venue for that..

Like people said make friends with bands, talk to as many people that your friends with and have them reccommend you at their favorite bars or hang out places. Also, if you're old enough talk to bar and venue owners.

I would also suggest making a short demo that you can give away to help promote yourself.
At this point, playing for free at house parties and such is really your best option. It might not get you any cash from the gig, but it'll give you great exposure and that's what you need right now. Until you get a good enough rep to start playing bars and clubs, this is the best way to go about it. When you do end up getting a bar/club gig, NEVER say you'll play for free or they'll expect you to every time and possibly tell other bars or clubs that you do and that's very bad if you want to start getting payed for gigs.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Ramblin'_Man
Depending on your style and lyrics a church may or may not be a good idea...
That isn't how it works. The idea is to play live and have the congregation/youth group sing along, the pastor gives you your setlist. You don't play any originals.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Just keep working at your stuff, build up your online friend base and stuff, keep asking aroudn because someone may want an opening band at some point when you are ready you can play the gig and impress people enough for them to really start taking notice
Quote by Highwaytohell
you could always start by having a bunch of kids come down in your rehersal space to watch you play...

This has been done
I called on of the venues and they told me to message their myspace. They've been online today and they ignored us again.

I don't understand this. How are we supposed to get any notority if we can't get anyone to take us seriously? I mean, we want to record some new stuff, but whats the point if no one will give us a show? I'm stressing out really badly over this
It's always important to consider the possibility that they don't think you're any good. This will depend on the venues in your area, but you also might not be suitable to play at them.

I just listened to the demo on your user account, and...well, you'd have to be a fan of some pretty extreme genres to actually believe that a band who sound like that could bring people in. It probably could, but you have to convince the bar or whatever that you could.

They're not ignoring you because they don't want bands, but because they don't think you'll make them much money. Which is all a bar cares about when it comes to letting bands play...they would host the Jonas Brothers over Tool if they thought that one would sell them more booze.

I'd recommend 1) getting a myspace that works (I just tried the one in your sig, and it doesn't seem to)
2) getting more music on it,
3) getting loads of fans on that page
4) playing free gigs (I mean, you can set up a gig yourselves - hire a church hall/scout hut, get another couple of starting bands, charge $2 admission, problem solved)
5) Persevere. This is the music *business* - you can't just set up a band and expect everyone to be interested. There are hundreds of thousands of bands out there. You're going to have to work bloody hard to even get gigs at professional venues, let alone to be able to earn a living from it.
If your 17, most bars probably won't book you, unless your playing with an older band that draws an older crowd. They want to sell alcohol. They usually like covers too. If you have to, record some classic rock covers and tell them thats what you play. Promote the hell out of it, draw a big crowd, and play your regular songs. By then it'll be too late to stop you and they probably won't give a **** what you play.

Also make up shows. Say that you've played other places. They aren't gonna check.

Post the emails you've been sending out. Do you sound professional? Do you ask to play whenever, or do you ask for a certain day or week you'd like to play. I can't see any local bar loosing money if you play a weeknight and nobody shows up to see you.

I think churches, warehouses, empty buildings are your best bet. Playing at a bar sucks anyway. Put on your own shows and book other bands to play. Where theres a will theres a way. Or wait till you finish school and move to new york. That's the best way.
Go to a city that has a more laid back music scene, one of the reasons I LOVE living by FAME recording studio, tons of small name bands there willing to help out a beginner.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Garage bashes for the first gigs. If you have control of the arena, just PROMOTE it with fliers and online. Book your lamest bar than work your way up the chain.
Myspace is your friend. Network like hell. Open up for bigger local bands in your area. Compete in Battle of the Bands' as much as you can. Give your demo to bar owners in your area, and did I mention that myspace thing?

It's all about who you know. Get out there, talk to everyone you can, and when you're starting out, take basically everything you can get, even the shows you know are going to be dives.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Take EVERYTHING. Play parties from people at school. This will sound lame but play "girl parties." It's really, REALLY lame to play them because they don't care about your music most of the time but girls talk. My old band got gigs because we played a girl party and they told all their friends and they asked us to play other parties.

Hold a small gig with 4-5 other bands you know and invite EVERYONE you know/see to the show. As word gets you will will get known.

Edit - Oh, I just listened to your songs on your profile. I don't like metal much so I won't be too judge mental. Like someone above me said, its going to be hard to get booked with that sorta music. The general bar isn't looking for a metal band. They want anywhere from an acoustic show to a hard rock band. I know there are metal bars that book bands like yours but just the average bar won't normally be interested.
Last edited by The_Paranoia at Mar 15, 2009,