Hey!

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but in that case please just move this thread to the proper place.

I have played guitar for almost 1.5 years now and one of the songs I decided to learn from day one was Master of Puppets by Metallica. To be honest it did not take long to "learn" the song since it's pretty easy (except the solos) and I can play basically the whole song now excluding the solos up to speed.

However, the problem is that I can only play each part at the time up to speed since my arm dies after like 20 seconds of down-stroking in most parts of the song.

My question is, is there a good way to build up stamina in my arm so i will eventually be able to play the whole i song in one run without killing my arm? I know the easy answer is "practice" but seeings as I have practiced for about a year now on this certain song (obviously not only this song, but you get my point) I feel I should at least be able to play like 20s longer now than i did 3 months ago.

So please give me some advice on something I can practice in order to build up some stamina in my arm.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by xaedon at Mar 10, 2009,
im not even kidding,baiting helps buld ur forearm and bisceps if u dont believe me look it up
its actually true so i better not get in trouble!!
i didnt say fap=)
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Jerk off.

Another way is to just practice. Honestly, if you stick with it, in a couple of years you won't even have these problems. Til then.. try option 1..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
masturbate.lol
When I buy my wife, at first she cook good, her vagine worked well, she strong on plow, but three years later when she was fifteen, she receive hair on her chest, her voice become deep, "BORAT, BORAT", and her vagine hang like sleeve of wizard
Does no one else see the biggest problem?
The biggest problem is your arm is in pain. You shouldn't be using your arm to pick. You should be using your wrist. Solution is simply practice, and make sure you're always relaxed.
Though if you're set on using your current picking method, then just lift light weights for a long period of time, emphasizing the muscles that are week.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
ok, thanks for the those few serious answers I have received so far :P

Can just add that lifting weights will not help me at all since I am doing fine with that already. I would probably have too big muscles if I would train them even more

Back to topic. Maybe it is my picking that is my problem then. Is there a good lesson/movie/guide where I can read about this picking technique that I should use? Because I am only having problems with pain in my arm when playing these fast down-stroke riffs. Never when I play "normal" stuff. That is probably why I have never questioned my own picking technique.
Quote by Baby Joel
Does no one else see the biggest problem?
The biggest problem is your arm is in pain. You shouldn't be using your arm to pick. You should be using your wrist. Solution is simply practice, and make sure you're always relaxed.
Though if you're set on using your current picking method, then just lift light weights for a long period of time, emphasizing the muscles that are week.

picking with your wrist means exercising your forearm muscles. so its probably his forearms that are in pain. btw, i dont mean to sound like a smartass or anything.

EDIT: forgot to add in my opinion on the thread. i'd have to go with just practice. and deffinately lots of jacking it. had to say it lol.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Last edited by a7xsteve at Mar 10, 2009,
Practice, practice, practice. I used Metal Militia to build up my speed in alt picking and i did it for months. The results were great. I still use that song as a warm up before I play anything.
Quote by xaedon
Hey!

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but in that case please just move this thread to the proper place.

I have played guitar for almost 1.5 years now and one of the songs I decided to learn from day one was Master of Puppets by Metallica. To be honest it did not take long to "learn" the song since it's pretty easy (except the solos) and I can play basically the whole song now excluding the solos up to speed.

However, the problem is that I can only play each part at the time up to speed since my arm dies after like 20 seconds of down-stroking in most parts of the song.

My question is, is there a good way to build up stamina in my arm so i will eventually be able to play the whole i song in one run without killing my arm? I know the easy answer is "practice" but seeings as I have practiced for about a year now on this certain song (obviously not only this song, but you get my point) I feel I should at least be able to play like 20s longer now than i did 3 months ago.

So please give me some advice on something I can practice in order to build up some stamina in my arm.

Thanks in advance!

try alternate/economy picking
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
you know everyone was going to say wack it.......
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
I don't recommend weightlifting because John Petrucci reported that his arms and fingers tensed up way more often after periods of lifting weights