Is there anyway i can fingerpick louder? i jst started an acoustic band with a freind and he plays with a pic, so were having problems with him being to loud compared to me.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Ask him?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
get a brighter guitar and have him use nylon
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

use fingerpics, they make plastic ones for guitars, theyre kinda like banjo picks.
It's normal.
Maybe use finger picks. But then you won't have that much control tho.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
if you're playing live/recording, you'll just have to turn your volume in the mix up higher than him.

for just playing completely unamplified, its a bit tougher...

usually its hard to play at the same skill level at a different volume level (whether its you playing louder, or him playing softer).

The best option I can think of is using one of those 'feedback buster' things. its like a rubber disk that goes in the soundhole. They're usually used in live situations to help reduce feedback, but if you get the other guitarist to use one, it'll make him a bit quieter playing unamplified. the tone gets a little dulled, however, from what I've found

that would be for playing without any amplification, though. once you have any amplification on your instruments, it'll be just fine if you mix it right
SOrry to hijack but what kind of pick is best for acoustic as my friend got one and I don't know if any of my picks are suitable.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by demitriv
SOrry to hijack but what kind of pick is best for acoustic as my friend got one and I don't know if any of my picks are suitable.

uh... you... couldn't... possibly be serious...?

I think buying a new guitar which is louder is obviously out of the question, and amps have the simple answer of just turning the volume on yours up.
there are fingerpicks i think by the brand propick. they are nice and expensive, and made of metal. you'll definitely have a clearer, crisper and louder tone with them. you can also try growing out your nails. these are just some ways you can acoustically make it louder.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I've tried fingerpicks, I really did my best with those things and i just cant seem to get used to them, they seem just to sloppy for me. That and one usualy ends up flying of my finger mid song.

About, good idea with the metal picks, i'll definatly give them a shot.

I was looking at the feed back reducer, that may well work.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
maybe you had them on backwards, you have to have the curvature of the pick under your finger, not over your fingernail.
Quote by roguesound
maybe you had them on backwards, you have to have the curvature of the pick under your finger, not over your fingernail.

Nah, lol. although i'll admit for a couple of days i did have the things on backwards before i realised. a pretty easy mistake to make.
I think technically, fingerpicks are a pretty good idea, it's just it'll take a bit of patience to go back to thumbling around with them, you know? Back to the Drawing board sort of.
That being said, i think ill give them another go.

Thanks everyone
I owe you all a drink.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by james4

The best option I can think of is using one of those 'feedback buster' things. its like a rubber disk that goes in the soundhole. They're usually used in live situations to help reduce feedback, but if you get the other guitarist to use one, it'll make him a bit quieter playing unamplified. the tone gets a little dulled, however, from what I've found

I think this is the best option. You're going to have to turn him down instead of turning you up. More volume is usually the worst solution to volume balance problems.

You could try using the fingerpicks that go on each finger, but it feels very uncomfortable for most people.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
no let ur nails grow and get them prefactly round and long because the finger picks fall offf and when ur ata gig u realy dont want that
Fingerpicks are a good idea, but you do need time to get used to them. I usually have to pick the song without them first(ie during practice) then redo with picks on to get the right sound.
Good luck.
Quote by cross_freak
Fingerpicks are a good idea, but you do need time to get used to them. I usually have to pick the song without them first(ie during practice) then redo with picks on to get the right sound.
Good luck.

Yeah, i think most people don't start playing guitar using fingerpicks, so when later they discover them they don't wan't to return to the early learning stages
Takes alot of patience.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by about
uh... you... couldn't... possibly be serious...?

I think buying a new guitar which is louder is obviously out of the question, and amps have the simple answer of just turning the volume on yours up.
there are fingerpicks i think by the brand propick. they are nice and expensive, and made of metal. you'll definitely have a clearer, crisper and louder tone with them. you can also try growing out your nails. these are just some ways you can acoustically make it louder.

Actually I can so sit down and shut up.
Just found out today that he actually got a classical guitar so what kind of pick is suitable?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv
Just found out today that he actually got a classical guitar so what kind of pick is suitable?

Mate, you should no better than to hijack this thread, you've been here longer than I have. This guy gave me some good advice, i'm glad he/she didn't listen to you.

But, that being said, if it's a clasical. The best pick to use is no pick it all.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Mar 11, 2009,
Ok that is your opinion but my friend doesn't want to use his fingers, he actually wanted an acoustic but his parents bought him a classical.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Well then tell him to use your head as a pick, it's clearly not being put to any other use.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by demitriv
Ok that is your opinion but my friend doesn't want to use his fingers, he actually wanted an acoustic but his parents bought him a classical.

sooo, you try to hijack a thread, and it doesnt work so you insult someone. Then somebody answers your question even though they probably shouldnt, and you say no. Even though what he said is the RIGHT answer.
Come on guys, play nicely.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Well then tell him to use your head as a pick, it's clearly not being put to any other use.

OI calm down jeez whats with all the angry people on internet forums these days.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv
OI calm down jeez whats with all the angry people on internet forums these days.

Okay man, well i got my answer and you got yours. So lets let this thread die peacefully.
I'm not going to risk a ban.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by demitriv

Quote by demitriv

ya i know man, people need to lax, but it's ok because we all forgive angry people anyway.

ps. i love british people, they are the greatest at insults
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Turn your mic up on the p.a. and his down I guess or maybe trying to ajust the gain. But pretty much always fingerstyle is more quiet than a plectrum
If you haven't already... Let your nails grow long! I prefer the sound and playability of my long nails. Fun fact: I carry a nail file everywhere I go.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
get a semi acoustic, plug it into a marshall MG, not only will you play LOUDER than him, but you will also have CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!!

****ing br00talz
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...