Poll: What do you think?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think?
I think the internet is good for guitar players.
100 75%
I think it would be better if it was like 30 years ago.
33 25%
Voters: 133.
I was just thinking, back say 30 years ago, all they got was a guitar and the music and they had to completely play it by ear or get a teacher. Now you can just go on the net look at some tabs and you don't really have to know anything - Do you think this is better for guitar players of today, or do you think it's better if guitar players don't use the net?

Think about it, you don't have to put much effort into playing when you start as you did back then, you can just see some tabs and play it easy, back then the ****ty players would just give up after they learned they couldn't play songs an easy way. Now you can just go on the net and play anything easily. But it could also be argued that now we have access to music more easily so you could say that guitar players learn alot faster and playing the instrument became alot more accessible.
Last edited by Dog-- at Mar 10, 2009,
Well you can compare the music of today with the music of 30 years ago. That'll tell you the answers.

Seriously though, I think that it's good for someone who's starting off. And if they wanna continue and take guitar further they'll lean aural perception and theory etc.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
on plus side we can research songs on the internet.
and help us get noticed

on minus side its melting my brain!
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
I personally think the internet is really helpful. I learnt to play some licks and was inspired to play in the first place due to youtube vids of my favourite blues artists. I learnt a lot of things about playing and general guitar advice due to the wonders of the internet. For instance, when i started playing originally i didn't know how to change a string (i know, stupid but hey i was a real noob) so i typed it onto youtube and i found a vid showing how to change strings properly and from that i learnt

I love the internet!
If you don't think the internet is helpful, what the **** is wrong with you?

The spread of free information is amazing no matter what the topic in my opinion. On the flip side we might see make shift atomic bombs in the future.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I can find some great videos that have a positive impact on my playing that would not exist 30 years ago.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think there's something cooler about being a guitarist 30 years ago. Start out with jack **** and cheap guitar from the pawn shop down the road, end up a rockstar etc. etc.
Well I think it can hinder originality and creativity. By learning from tabs and video lessons you're being told exactly how to play something. Messing up and doing stuff wrong can lead to a unique technique (lolz rhyme) and tone.
I think the internet is an awesome source, but the abundance can be a little overwhel-- oh hang on I have to check the newest article on cracked.com.
I don't think it really hinders unique playing techniques because eventually your gonna be exposed to guitarists with unique playing techniques like Thurston Moore and Lee Ronaldo of Sonic Youth and Tom Morello. And then you might try to figure out your own unique ways to play.

The wealth of information available on the internet is great but there's always something that might be overlooked by someone whose teaching himself using the internet rather than taking lessons, like vibrato or left-hand muting.
Last edited by thelurker at Mar 10, 2009,
I get my tabs on the internet, I can watch lessons on the internet for free, I can ask other guitarists for advice and discuss with them about things. I couldn't live without it .
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Without the internet, there was probably no distractions that could lead you off-course of playing guitar.

I voted for that it might have been better a long time ago. People who use the internet now does not realise how it was back in the day.

But the internet is good and bad in different ways when it comes to guitarplaying.

If you want to learn guitar without paying for a teacher, all you need a guitar and the internet and you're set.

But I think the people who gets trained by ear becomes better musicians.
DeVillains!
Yes. I'm completely self taught, and so without the Internet I wouldn't have made even 1% as much progress.
Quote by Dog--
I was just thinking, back say 30 years ago, all they got was a guitar and the music and they had to completely play it by ear or get a teacher.

This is where you're wrong good sir. Sheet music has been available for hundreds of years, and it was like the "tabs" for other instruments besides guitar. You seem like the type who only knows about guitar oriented music.
Well, the invention of the internet has kind of decreased the effectiveness of 'guitar natural selection', i.e the people who are crap at guitar today would want to carry on because they have access to so much information like online lessons and stuff, whereas someone crap 30 years ago probably would have given up.

I'm not really arguing either side here, I just thought I'd throw that out there.
no, the radiation from the moniter will melt our fragile minds
Quote by hide_the_beer
"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

crazy?

Quote by hide_the_beer
Aw man. Out of context! People are going to think I'm crazy.

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

nope
Well on one hand I wouldn't have easy and free access to songs I want to learn if it wasn't for the internet but this would probably mean I would have better ear skills and be better at transcribing songs. That or I would have given up years ago.
Quote by metaldud536
This is where you're wrong good sir. Sheet music has been available for hundreds of years, and it was like the "tabs" for other instruments besides guitar. You seem like the type who only knows about guitar oriented music.

But then again, sheet music only tells you the notes so you'd have to have someone show you the scales and shapes, no?

Also, did tabs not exist before the internet?
Look at todays music, lol.

But back then the people who managed to play guitar were the good ones who were determined, sitting in their rooms spinning records trying to learn to play solos.
The ones who shouldnt be playing guitar would have quit after frustration.
In modern times, anyone can be a guitarist, just look at moder music. The Jonas Brothers know about 5 power chords. Back then, they would have failed miserably without the internet to teach them what they were to stupid to figure out. I consider it to be better in Jonas-free world.

But the internet is great for starting guitarists, I'm just saying it limited who got through to really be playing.
Quote by master
But then again, sheet music only tells you the notes so you'd have to have someone show you the scales and shapes, no?

Also, did tabs not exist before the internet?

It tells you the notes, the rhythm, note duration, etc. Tabs don't show you notes, only numbers. If a you knew how to read standard notation, you could play things that weren't written for guitar.

My point is why is TS saying 30 years ago you could only learn by ear or with a teacher if musicians of other instruments have been reading standard notation for hundreds of years.
I'm on here, so it isn't doing my guitar playing any good - it's being wasted in this hell-hole...

And I can't get away from it
NOPE.
Quote by metaldud536

K, well first off we are talking about guitar, not violin or something like that, and second, you most likely need a teacher or someone to show/tell you how to read and play/use the sheet music, even with the internet, some people who play today can't read it.
It has it's ups and downs
You can get sheet music for the song online which is great, but with the advent of YouTube, it encourages people to cover songs rather than create their own material.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Well you can compare the music of today with the music of 30 years ago. That'll tell you the answers.

Seriously though, I think that it's good for someone who's starting off. And if they wanna continue and take guitar further they'll lean aural perception and theory etc.

Yah quality of music has gone down. I'd probably would've gotten lessons if it wasn't for the internet.....but theirs so much variety now...**** I dono......I'm split on. I voted on the oldies...but....the internet rawr.
Quote by charvel_man
I'm on here, so it isn't doing my guitar playing any good - it's being wasted in this hell-hole...

And I can't get away from it

lol true that
Well the poll options are a bit weird because the first one just says guitarists, so the internet is good for an individual guitarist, but the second one is saying if things were like back then, like it's saying music in general was better. I voted internet because I think the use of the internet has helped people to poor to get a formal teacher a chance to play, and I think music is better today if you really dig for it. Pop music was better 30 years ago. though
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
I think if there was no internet then I would spend a lot more time playing guitar...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
its good and bad, rite now peoples ears aren't near as trained as they used to be because we have tab sites (bad), but if you get stuck you can look at a tab (good)
i can play by ear really well now but its somethin that comes with practice i dont really need tabs anymore.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
The internet is a good thing. It makes it easier and more convenient to learn.
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC
because maybe it'd revive me instantly
i just hope i don't come back black

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
Internet allows guitarists and all musicians to showcase their talent to a much broader audience then simply their neighborhood which keeps them going (either they feel proud of their talent and all the compliments and learn more or you're told how bad you are and so you learn more or quit).

Tabs does tear out some musical elements though, I agree on that. I can read sheet music but I can't play from sheet music on the guitar. I'm not a piano player but I can play sheet music through a piano.

Another thing is, maybe it's not b/c of the internet, probably not, but I hate seeing some worthless pure shredder w/ no musical talent but guitar and in guitar only know sweep picking and people find them absolutely amazing while someone who posts a song they've made themselves, a beautiful piece of art but the technical skill used doesn't require much and it's ****ted on.

I saw a video of some kid who could sweep pick but couldn't alternate pick (he said so) and all he did was an arpeggio over and over again and people found him so talented. Good thing he had it tuned, but hearing an arpeggio over and over is so boring as a guitarist, if he was taught by a teacher he'd know how to alternate pick amongst other things.

tl;dr (Assuming it means a shorter version of the above text)

1. Guitarists get to show off and know how good they are which leads to more practice.
2. Tabs miss a few musical elements, I can't play guitar w/ sheet music but I can play piano w/ sheet music.
3. Crappy shredders get so much spotlight while true musicians aren't given any attention.
4. I saw some kid sweep pick over and over but didn't even know how to alternate pick, if he had a teacher he'd know.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Mar 10, 2009,
that was back when guitar was an instrument.

Im guilty of playing tabs. I cant learn a song by ear no matter how hard i try.
I wishicould just play along with anything that came upon the radio but the interweb took that from us but hey weve got UG so thats cool