OK guys, here is the thing. I break up for Univeristy in MAY and will have 4 months break in which time I will be working and building up a fair amount of cash. Also during this time I will have a lot of spare time in which I want to really take my level of play up a gear.

The only thing is, that having gone through several practice amps (my current being a Roland Microcube...), and want to finally invest in a really good valve amp. To make things clearer here are the stats if you will:

Current Gear- Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Tone I looking for- I need something versatile here, I want to play stuff from early Guns N' Roses, Van Halen and Black Sabbath, then Maiden and perhaps Bullet for my Valentine.

Budget- £500/$690 I can move on this, but only for something pretty damn awesome which will fill my needs like nothing else.

Cheers guys!
I am....making progress...
Not sure how it converts to pounds, but look into Randall Amplifiers. I got mine for just under 600 dollars

This is the answer.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
That budget won't get you your last amp....
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
That budget won't get you your last amp....

If you want your last amp, the only way to go is a Soldano SLO 100, because it has a transferable lifetime warranty!

Seriously, though, if you want basically a Marshall tone, & you live in the UK, a tube Marshall of some sort (I'm not sure what's available over there) should do it for you.
Likely necessitating an OD to get BFMV tone as stated previously.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
some guy mentioned randalls.

check them out on ebay and see if you can get one of those module amps.

i dont know if your familiar with them but they made them so you can change out the pramp and switch it with another one to completely change the amps charecter.

lets say you want van hallen, they got a module for that.

lets say you want hendrix, they got a plexi module.

and it goes on and on etc.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-MTS-Series-RM20-20W-Guitar-Amp-Head-without-Modules?sku=481125

you can start with one module obviosly and then get more down the road.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 10, 2009,
Heh you guys are awesome, thanks for the replies. The Marshall looks pretty sweet and I'm leaning towards that but I will look into the others as well.

Telestar if I could amass that kind of cash before my term starts up again at the end of September then I would honestly consider it lol.

Yeah I was kinda dramatic in my thread title, but the kind of amp I am looking for is something that will last me indefinitely until I actually get good enough to start playing gigs with friends (i.e. probably not anytime soon lol...)...

Like I said though, £500 is kinda like a rough guide, but I am not really going to be spending cash on anything else this summer so I can move on that by maybe another £200 if I don't buy random stupid **** on eBay
I am....making progress...
a randall RM model would CERTAINLY keep you satisfied for years, but you need a bit more of a budget than what you've stated. for the tones you want, and the budget you have, i don't think you'll get an amp that can you could claim to be your 'LAST' amp you'd ever need for a while.

you prolly should go with a marshally sounding valve amp for the most part, and i think a used Traynor or something along those lines would work out. if you can stretch your budget, however, definitely go for a Randall RM50, used of course, with EL34s or get it switched to that.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I agree with the others, save a bit more and try for a Randall RM series model. If you don't plan to do any major gigs, an RM20 (20 watts) should be enough for you, as it's a loud 20w.

Plus, the switchable modules allow you all kids of sounds.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Peavey will have a 6505+ 112 coming out a little later this year, like Q2 sometime. Its MSRP is around $720, so you might want to take a look at it if you want to play some high-gain stuff. I've never played a 6505 before, but they're plenty popular.
I would say a splawn competitoin but you don't have enough.

so I say Laney AOR
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
a 6505+ would do the BFMV probably really well, but the others it would just be over the top, i think he's better off getting a mid gain vintage voiced amp, and push it for metal when the time arises.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out