Hey guys, I was just wondering if the following could be done:

I want to wire in an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 89 in the neck, but I want to build the guitar with just one push pull volume knob that splits the neck pickup when pulled. The 89 can split and the 81 cannot. Can you wire up a guitar like that and not have the bridge cut out when you coil tap the neck?

I would just go for the 81tw and have them both split, but it's more expensive and I almost never use the bridge single coil split in my other guitar that has it...
I suppose you could get a separate volume pot for the neck pickup. To me, that seems like the simplest answer. Plus, you get another volume knob.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I suppose you could get a separate volume pot for the neck pickup. To me, that seems like the simplest answer. Plus, you get another volume knob.

Yeah, but I'm going for a more stripped down look. A single volume knob would be pretty rad if can get away with it.
yup, you can do it fo sho.

diagram in a minute

edit: the colour code's different, but just look it up on the manufacturer's sites..

you're basically using this diagram:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_3w_pp

but forget about the red and white (red and white in the SD colour scheme) from the bridge. in a splittable pickup, you'd tape them together, but in the 81, there wont even be the two wires for splitting. wire the neck to be split as normal, and the bridge as you normally would to the switch.

hope that makes sense. I could draw a proper diagram if you want, but I got lazy and just posted this one, hopefully it tells you what you need..
Last edited by james4 at Mar 10, 2009,
Are you using selector switches? If you have it selected in the middle, both on, then you can coil tap the 89 and still have the 81 on as well.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah, the coil tap is just grounds out a wire, so you just rig up the switch to that pup before the selector switch. You would have your wires connected to the center lug on the switch, and ground the top lug, leave the bottom lug alone. And viola.

Erm, that is how I did it for SDs. I think its same for EMGs no? they should have a diagram on their site under the info section on that pup

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by lumberjack
Hey guys, I was just wondering if the following could be done:

I want to wire in an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 89 in the neck, but I want to build the guitar with just one push pull volume knob that splits the neck pickup when pulled. The 89 can split and the 81 cannot. Can you wire up a guitar like that and not have the bridge cut out when you coil tap the neck?
absolutely. splitting the neck has no effect on the bridge.

Quote by lumberjack
I would just go for the 81tw and have them both split, but it's more expensive and I almost never use the bridge single coil split in my other guitar that has it...
if you wanted them both split, it would be much more difficult. it takes 2 poles to split an EMG. you can't split 2 EMGs with one push-pull switch.

Quote by PainIsPower
Yeah, the coil tap is just grounds out a wire, so you just rig up the switch to that pup before the selector switch. You would have your wires connected to the center lug on the switch, and ground the top lug, leave the bottom lug alone. And viola.

Erm, that is how I did it for SDs. I think its same for EMGs no? they should have a diagram on their site under the info section on that pup
No.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 10, 2009,