I am currently applying to a music academy (ACM). On the assessment form, there are two charts one in standard music notation and one in tab. On the standard music notation chart there is a number 5 written above the treble clef, what does it mean. I know what a 8 or 15 written above the treble clef means, but not the number 5.

No one seems to know.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Is this for guitar? Must be if you were givin tab. I think it is telling you what position to play on the fretboard.
i think it means that the actual note you play has to be a fifth above the note written down
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by quinny1089
Its the bar number...
Its the fifth bar of the piece.

correct.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by quinny1089
Its the bar number...
Its the fifth bar of the piece.

But surely there would be other bar numbers (usually one at the beginning of each line) so TS would have asked about other numbers above the treble clef too.
I'd recommend BIMM over ACM ! I go there on a pro diploma course and it's awesome few people that i've know have done courses at ACM say it was so so... Check out BIMM there's a campus in Bristol the other is in Brighton.