Ive suddenly got into the idea of modding my squier strat. Ive painted it, installed a killswitch. Im really not into improving its sound yet, so i had two ideas. Install LED yellow LED lights into it, or mount a tuner into it. I know how to solder, so its not an issue. Has anyone ever put a tuner on a guitar? Anyone have a schematic?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Ha, sorry i went out.

Thats it. I relize that i will need to use a router. Any suggestions as to where is a good spot?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by divinorum69
As I said before, the thought of it gives me shivers. I suggest putting it on the back, so it doesnt change the appearance of the guitar, and you can look to it easierly. If you put it upfront it will be difficult to read.

Yeah, i have considered putting it in the back, in case i mess up the routing job. Only thing i can think of that will be a problem is where to solder wires to. You have any idea?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
Yeah, i have considered putting it in the back, in case i mess up the routing job. Only thing i can think of that will be a problem is where to solder wires to. You have any idea?

Yes, you need a normal guitar jack that has to be connected to the tuner. Now before the output jack.. wait nvm wait a sec Ill make a diagram... cause a picture is worth a thousand words
Quote by divinorum69
Yes, you need a normal guitar jack that has to be connected to the tuner. Now before the output jack.. wait nvm wait a sec Ill make a diagram... cause a picture is worth a thousand words

Ha, thanks, your loads of help.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Ok, the hot wire from the volume pot is a wire with another incased in it. So i would need a four pronged two way switch?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by divinorum69
No, it should be a normal wire. Which guitar do you have, how many pickups. how many knobs?

two humbuckers, two tone nobs, volume pot.

EDIT: three way switch
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Mar 10, 2009,
Here is mine. It used a stereo jack and a 3PDT switch. It will only turn the tuner on when there is a plug in the jack so you dont accidentally leave it turned on. It also uses true bypass.

Take the tuner out of its packaging, its not really needed and takes up space. You can stuff the circuit board into your control cavity or make a new one. The tuner should have 3 leds that indicate if you are sharp, flat or right on. Make extensions for these/get new LEDs and mount these on the front of the guitar. Mount the switch on the front of the guitar also.

Would it help if i opened it up and took a picture of it?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Painless power, Your missing a point there, what if you wanna do a drop D?
Or maybe you could be tuning on green, but one full step down. I suggest doing it the easy way. routing for the full tuner, you save the mess of doing a complicated diagram, disassembling the tuner, buying stereo jack.

well thats my opinion. I can not help you with this last diagram, I dont understand
Quote by PainIsPower
Here is mine. It used a stereo jack and a 3PDT switch. It will only turn the tuner on when there is a plug in the jack so you dont accidentally leave it turned on. It also uses true bypass.

Take the tuner out of its packaging, its not really needed and takes up space. You can stuff the circuit board into your control cavity or make a new one. The tuner should have 3 leds that indicate if you are sharp, flat or right on. Make extensions for these/get new LEDs and mount these on the front of the guitar. Mount the switch on the front of the guitar also.

I like the idea of taking the LED's and making them seperate from the actual tuner.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by divinorum69
Or maybe you could be tuning on green, but one full step down. I suggest doing it the easy way. routing for the full tuner, you save the mess of doing a complicated diagram, disassembling the tuner, buying stereo jack.

well thats my opinion. I can not help you with this last diagram, I dont understand

Yeah, thats another point, i couldnt see if i wanted to tune to D, which i usually dont, but still a good point.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
divinorum60, the wire going from the volume pot straight to the output has a wire inside of it. So its a gray casing with wire in it, then in between that its a white casing with wire inside of it.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by divinorum69

Uh, you would have to be some what incompetent to not realize you were tuning an octave down. If you want to drop D compare the first green light on the way down from E will be your D if you are using a guitar tuner. also, you can compare it to the D string that is already on your guitar to make sure you are getting the right note. Unless you are restringing you really arent going to be that far out that you would need to worry. At which point, I always leave a tuner next to my wirecutters for such a case.

And yes, my diagram is more complex then yours but it is almost more functional. and sleeking. yours also wont work if wired up the exact way you drew it up. Also, how do you turn the tuner on and off in yours? Taking the tuner out of its case really isn't that difficult. Extending leads on the LEDs is simple. Drilling a 4 holes, is simple. If he is lucky he can fit the tuner into the guitar as is. If not, well, if he follows your idea, he is already routing the body anyways. my way he just needs to cut a cover for the new cavity.

Edit. That wire sounds like it might be a shielded wire? A pic would help
Last edited by PainIsPower at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by PainIsPower
Uh, you would have to be some what incompetent to not realize you were tuning an octave down. If you want to drop D compare the first green light on the way down from E will be your D if you are using a guitar tuner. also, you can compare it to the D string that is already on your guitar to make sure you are getting the right note. Unless you are restringing you really arent going to be that far out that you would need to worry. At which point, I always leave a tuner next to my wirecutters for such a case.

And yes, my diagram is more complex then yours but it is almost more functional. and sleeking. yours also wont work if wired up the exact way you drew it up. Also, how do you turn the tuner on and off in yours? Taking the tuner out of its case really isn't that difficult. Extending leads on the LEDs is simple. Drilling a 4 holes, is simple. If he is lucky he can fit the tuner into the guitar as is. If not, well, if he follows your idea, he is already routing the body anyways. my way he just needs to cut a cover for the new cavity.

Well i do like your way also.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Ok, now the six squares are..? I need more explanation, im not so good with this :S
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
OH, so im doing nothing with the wire that goes from the volume pot to the output. Im just splitting the ground wire, putting a basic lead end onto it, and thats it? And the other wire. So im gonna need a six pronged, two way switch.?

EDIT:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062499

That good?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by fender4482
OH, so im doing nothing with the wire that goes from the volume pot to the output. Im just splitting the ground wire, putting a basic lead end onto it, and thats it? And the other wire. So im gonna need a six pronged, two way switch.?

Doh! The wire on the left, should say Hot. My mistake. and you need an On/ON DPDT switch
Quote by PainIsPower
Doh! The wire on the left, should say Hot. My mistake. and you need an On/ON DPDT switch

Sorry to be such a pain, but i dont wanna mess this up. How does this look?

MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Okay Okay Okay......

COMPLETE tuner is obviously useful for restringing, usually I take all strings out therefore I do not know on what octaves I am on.

Now, my diagram is okay, it is just missing ground cables, now, they are irrelevant as these should not be tampered with! you do not need a ground for the tuner!

Also I believe that the complexity of your diagram is the lack of neatness, not the amount of components or wires. Now, routing a guitar is not that difficult. So why discourage him not to do it. You just need practice on scraps and thats it, its a great learning experience. Plus we do not know if he has space for a full tuner circuit underneath his pickguard or in his cavities.

cheers
Quote by divinorum69
Okay Okay Okay......

COMPLETE tuner is obviously useful for restringing, usually I take all strings out therefore I do not know on what octaves I am on.

Now, my diagram is okay, it is just missing ground cables, now, they are irrelevant as these should not be tampered with! you do not need a ground for the tuner!

Also I believe that the complexity of your diagram is the lack of neatness, not the amount of components or wires. Now, routing a guitar is not that difficult. So why discourage him not to do it. You just need practice on scraps and thats it, its a great learning experience. Plus we do not know if he has space for a full tuner circuit underneath his pickguard or in his cavities.

cheers

Thanks, youve been loads of help.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
Sorry to be such a pain, but i dont wanna mess this up. How does this look?

Bump? i need to know if this will work.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by divinorum69
Now, my diagram is okay, it is just missing ground cables, now, they are irrelevant as these should not be tampered with! you do not need a ground for the tuner

UH, messing with the grounding in the guitar really isn't that big of a deal. "tampering" with it really wont hurt much as long as you have them. Your diagram will not work though, and you do need the ground to the tuner. Hooking up one side of a pickup to anything wont produce a signal. You need the ground or - half of the signal to go to the tuner for it to work. It is like a light bulb. Cut a wire, and the bulb goes out.

Use the DPDT switch, you diagram, I don't know whats going on in it. Use the last one I posted if you want to use one like that. I still recommend my first diagram as it really is no harder to do. But if you must...

As for your diagram, the tone and volume controls don't get attached like you have them, the Hot connection comes FROM the volume/tone to the switch. If you look at the switch, the left half deals with hot, the top lug gets connected to the hot part of the jack for the tuner. The bottom lug gets connected to the hot part, TIP of the female 1/4 jack. The right side deals with the grounds. The top lug connects to the grd conection of the tuner jack, and the bottom connects to grd part of the female 1/4 jack. BTW the 1/4 female jack is your out put jack

Hows this one?

edit: I think the ground wires wrong.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90