im playing battle of the bands next week and we are playing trivium's dying in your arms. I still have my ****ty starter guitar and i have a really nice amp(look at sig) anyways, when i hear the song, i dont know corey's guitar has like an edge to it or like a bite or scream, mine doesnt, might be the pickups craftsmanchip, ect. but do u guys think that using a JEM(the white one) will give me the bite i need?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
for soloing ? a jem will definatly give you those screams but so does any decent quality guitar with evos. you should definatly save up for a guitar that feels best and sounds best to you. so my advice if you`re looking into buying a guitar is to just try one, cause it how you play it that makes it scream
any guitar with decent humbuckers and a decent player will make it moan
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Will be probably be pickups, but save up and try out lots of different guitars with high gain pickups. Ibanezs, ESPs that type of thing
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by whoswt
for soloing ? a jem will definatly give you those screams but so does any decent quality guitar with evos. you should definatly save up for a guitar that feels best and sounds best to you. so my advice if you`re looking into buying a guitar is to just try one, cause it how you play it that makes it scream

no im talking in all the song anything played in the 3-1 strings sounds like if it has only ball, and i considered a jem because i friend offered to lend me his since he doesnt like it/care for it
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
If you're not already give the notes that scream a bit of vibrato. That gives me the right sound for that song atleast; might be different with your set up though.
Firstly, Trivium are among the bands that can boast quite high budget production; trying to achieve their studio tone is a bit like young girls trying to look like their airbrushed celebrity idols. It's unrealistic.
Secondly, turn to the bridge pickup, turn up the tone on your guitar and turn up the treble on your amp and if you still don't have the "bite" you're after (even if it's a little unrefined) then you should indeed consider a new guitar.

EDIT
Holy crap man. Snap that JEM up, seriously. It should be great for your tone whether it gets you your "bite" or not, even if it's just for that gig.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Mar 10, 2009,
im close to their tone, but im missing the bite, i was thinking a OD would do it, but i think i should save for a guitar instead
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
it may be your gear, but it could also be you. Part of what makes your guitar "scream" is the way you play. It will only scream, cry, moan, etc. if you make it. Maybe you need to play a little more aggressively and really "feel" the melody.

could use a better guitar too
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
some of those screams guitarist make are nothing more than harmonics done by the players thumb and pick, maybe im interpreting this wrong as i dont know the song in question but hey learn to do it anyways and see people impressed over nothing more than a trick
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by devit
im close to their tone, but im missing the bite, i was thinking a OD would do it, but i think i should save for a guitar instead

A better guitar, and some REALLY nice pickups will give it all the bite and scream you want.

My JB, for example, has given my already great guitar tons of "scream".
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by invision2212
some of those screams guitarist make are nothing more than harmonics done by the players thumb and pick, maybe im interpreting this wrong as i dont know the song in question but hey learn to do it anyways and see people impressed over nothing more than a trick

ur talking about pinch armonics, and let me say iim quite good at those, anyways, im sure(or atleast i want to be) that the pickups are to blame
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by Simsimius

My JB, for example, has given my already great guitar tons of "scream".

A JB?
That's not "scream," that's harsh high end D:
I dunno, I've had mixed experiences with the JB.
Anyway.

TS, make sure every aspect of your phrasing is acceptable before you start considering new gear.
Got a JEM myself, although some would seemingly disagree, and yes the scream. And wail. And shriek. Pretty much the perfect replacement for a woman.

Just messin', but yeah, they do wail.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Rock Pig
A JB?
That's not "scream," that's harsh high end D:
I dunno, I've had mixed experiences with the JB.
Anyway.

TS, make sure every aspect of your phrasing is acceptable before you start considering new gear.

Shh! Don't tell!

But seriously, my JB sounds amazing [but only with high gain] - it just has something to it that makes it sounds amazing!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
have you tried positioning your bridge pup as close to the strings as possible?
Quote by slimp
have you tried positioning your bridge pup as close to the strings as possible?

this only makes for a muddier sound when they are too close, too much magnetic force.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
I could be your pickups or pick-up positioning. Move your pickups up and down and see what gives you the best bite or "scream".

GET THE JEM!!!!!!!
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
EMG's.......
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Rape it and it will scream

you sir are a genius
i was about to say that
Get one of those mouth thingies that Peter Frampton uses and scream into it
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I wouldn't necessarily get the Jem.

I mean you could always go to the guitar store and try out guitars until you find one that you can make squeel. Could also feel better and be cheaper. Expansive guitars don't guarantee their for you. It's just a price tag after all.
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
"Screaming" has very little to do with your guitar or your pickups - it's all about haveing a decent amp set correctly and more importantly your own ability.

Buying a new guitar or changing pickups won't magically make you better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try positioning the side of your bridge pup closer to the 1 string closer...It's the first thing i do with my guitars >_>