Just got off the phone with a guitar tech, who told me it would cost $125 for a setup + fret leveling. Is that a normal price? That seems a little expensive, though I've never had this done before so I wouldn't know.
OK price. Fret leveling can be quite expensive sometime.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Also, I'm kind of worried. I know I have some high frets, but if the guitar tech does a lot of leveling, couldn't that make my action seem higher since the frets would be lower? Because the reason I'm doing this is so that I can have low action without fret buzz.
if he is a good tech he will only level the frets that get in the way of a low action. he will adjust the string height as well so that you end up with a uniform clearance between string and fret.

it's a reasonable price if he is reputable and does a good job. make sure he is experienced. don't fret about it.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
^ That can only happen he levels it ALOT!
You can always lower the bridge. Action adjustment at the nut is not always as simple, though. Since your guitar tech giving you a setup ask him to keep it as it was.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

1. Is fret leveling the same thing as fret dress? Because he actually told me "fret dress" on the phone.

2. Is lowering the bridge and adjusting the truss rod the only things that affect guitar action? My floating bridge is about as low as it goes, and I've done some truss rod adjusting but never really know if I'm doing it correctly. I just want to know what I need done so I can make sure it gets done.
Make sure what your talking about and what he is talking about are the same is all. Some shops a fret dress isnt much more than polishing them and getting rid of sharp edges. Fret levelling and a complete set up that cost isnt unreasonable. Every shop has a different idea of what things mean. Make sure a "complete" set up will include truss rod adjust and if needed neck shim. And definately play it before you leave and make sure everything is right before you leave.
Well this isn't a shop, it's just some guy who my dad's friend recommended. Do you advise going to a shop rather than a person?
Quote by dr_john
if he is a good tech he will only level the frets that get in the way of a low action. he will adjust the string height as well so that you end up with a uniform clearance between string and fret.

it's a reasonable price if he is reputable and does a good job. make sure he is experienced. don't fret about it.

No pun intended?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by fixationdarknes
1. Is fret leveling the same thing as fret dress? Because he actually told me "fret dress" on the phone.

If I'm not mistake, it is not. Fret leveling is actually altering the height of the frets to achieve optimal playability and action whereas fret dressing is just cleaning up and polishing old and worn out frets.

With that said, his price is a little steep, but if he's a reputable guitar tech who you know will do a good job it's probably worth it.
Last edited by T!AN at Mar 10, 2009,
floyd?

edit: yes i know you said floating, but sometimes guys arent specific.

the reason i ask is because a floyd setup alone can run $75.

and a fret polish, cleanup, can cost about $60
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by biga29
No pun intended?

yes it was pretty bad i admit. still, glad someone noticed!
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix