Will aluminum tape work in the place of copper tape for shielding guitar internals? I bought a cheap role of it to use and I was wondering If anyone knew.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
You can certainly try it. I would think aluminum would not conduct nearly as well and you might have problems, but I'm completely ignorant on the subject. Good luck.
Guitar & Bass
since i had a question about shielding, might as well post it here.

is it worth getting sheilding for a humbucker guitar? with coil pslit if that matters
Quote by Invader Jim
Shielding ANY guitar is a good thing. Humbies hum too.

so if you were building a guitar, you would put out 10 bucks for a roll of copper tape stuff? none of my other guitars are sheilded so i dont know the differencee

and you guys are talking about that plumbers silver tape stuff?
Last edited by tjfishrocker at Mar 10, 2009,
I got it from home depot, it's used for sealing ducts and is good for high heats.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Shielding and star-grounding will make a huge effect. Ask Lumberjack. His guitar saw so retardedly noisy, and now "it makes as much noise as a rock, even with the EMG AB and an ultra-high gain amp".
well that about settles it then. might as well. anyone else tried the aluminum stuff? thats alot cheaper i think?

report back here when you do it man

and by conductive across each strip did you mean just have it overlap?
Quote by tjfishrocker
well that about settles it then. might as well. anyone else tried the aluminum stuff? thats alot cheaper i think?

report back here when you do it man

and by conductive across each strip did you mean just have it overlap?

The proper stuff (copper) has conductive glue.

Ali tape does not have conductive glue.

Use copper dude.
haha i shielded the control cavity of my squier with aluminum foil and my trusty glue stick. not really sure if it helped or not since i did it during the modification and not after i had the pups and everything unshielded at first... but trust me, it's there.
Quote by tjfishrocker
none of my other guitars are sheilded
I doubt that, the guitar cavitys are probably painted with sheilding paint, making you think they are sheilded.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
so thats how gibbys are shielded...i was wondering why mine is so quiet yet doesnt have tape/paint in the cavity....

however, copper will most likely work best.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Skeet UK

Use copper dude.

I just have to make sure the pieces are connected.

Anyways, I'll report on how it works when I get around to it tomorrow.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
I've been thinking about doing this to my bass. It's a cheapo so I am thinking of doing it with tinfoil (aluminium kitchen foil) and araldite just cos that's what i have to hand. I have read a few articles on the subject, form what I understand I have to:

- overlap the edges to make the contact between the scratchplate and the cavity,

-solder joins

-avoid ground loops

is there anything else I'm missing?
Some say aluminum wont do it some do. My carvin came with aluminum shielding in it. Any strat Ive bought had the aluminum on the back of the pickguard. I went and looked around to see if there was some actual evidence for or against aluminum. Seems theres no real difference between copper and alum. Aluminum is cheaper but is harder to solder to for proper grounding.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Mar 29, 2009,
I want to shield my guitar, but apparently it voids the warranty, so my dad doesn't want me to. It'd help so much.

It's a good idea TS, I would do it if I could. I might just say "**** the warranty" and get it done anyways.
copper is a better conductor then aluminum, but aluminum isn't a poor conductor itself, so it shouldn't matter.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
I think the aluminum vs copper argument is a moot point. No, I don't think you will notice any difference if you use aluminum (except the ease of soldering a connection). But for $17.22 head on over to mcmaster-carr and buy enough copper tape to shield all of your guitars, your friend's guitars, and your mom's guitar.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#76555a725/=17vnbs

you want 76555A725 a 6 yard roll of 2" copper tape with nonconductive adhesive back for $17.22.

you might also consider the 3" wide roll or whatever other width you want.
i got that stuff too from home depot like 2 weeks ago and put it on my guitar, the stuff worked great, i have the 69 custom special fender pickups, and they make no hum whatsoever, i did overkill though, i put 4 grounding wires in it, goin to a bunch of different areas, then i soldered the tape together, you could put a small piece of foil and wrap it around the side of the pickups where the wires are, that'll help too
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Ok, I just finished mine. It looks a bit like the T2000 had an abortion but I don't suppose it'll matter if it's under the scratchplate. I was thinking; it'll cut down the wiring alot since I don't have to add many grounds. I was wondering, should I leave the ground wire off the output jack?
Quote by Skeet UK

Use copper dude.

This is not always true, especially that copper tape always has conductive glue.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
^ I think he means that copper tape sold as guitar shielding tape will always have the conductive glue, where as if you just buy a roll of bog standard aliminium tape it wont have the conductive glue.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
why would you want your sheilding to have conductive glue?

that doesn't really make any sense since you pay about twice as much for the conductive adhesive version and it serves no purpose.

maybe this is so you can just over lap the edges rather then connecting them all with wire?
Quote by Mike134
why would you want your sheilding to have conductive glue?

that doesn't really make any sense since you pay about twice as much for the conductive adhesive version and it serves no purpose.

maybe this is so you can just over lap the edges rather then connecting them all with wire?

That's right, which is easier, quicker, cleaner and less likely to get screwed up.
Quote by Absent Mind
^ I think he means that copper tape sold as guitar shielding tape will always have the conductive glue, where as if you just buy a roll of bog standard aliminium tape it wont have the conductive glue.

Yup.

It would seem that some require the benefit of your clarification, well done Sir.
El-cheapo left-handed ebay strat copy $100 special

Body Sheilding

Pickguard Shield

Back together with my pickguard painted

I had it maybe an hour before I had it torn apart. lol. Used foil and spray glue to hold it down. Did a star wiring, tied all the grounds together. Multimeter shows good continuity between all grounds and the foil. Took away alot of the noise. In humbucker 2,4 positions, its silent. 1,3,5 got some noise to them but they're cheap pickups for one, and two, strats 1,3,5 are a bit noisy anyways. lol.
Last edited by GeToChKn at Apr 1, 2009,
Now just make yourself a hat out of it, and then they won't be able to read your thoughts.
Quote by Mike134
Now just make yourself a hat out of it, and then they won't be able to read your thoughts.

Seriously guys, as Jim quoth me, aluminum foil works fantastically. I used the stuff to shield my guitar and pickups, and it works like a dream. I was running hot as junk Swineshead X-Buckers into a high gain Peavey XXX, and it silenced the beast 100% thoroughly. I just cut it to shape and slapped it in all the cavities with spray on adhesive, making sure to overlap each piece to keep a cohesive shield.

It's pretty amazing what shielding a guitar will do.... check Invader Jim's wiring diagrams thread for all the links and articles I found during my "research from hell period" if you want to read up on it.