Poplar
9 18%
Oak
2 4%
Maple
11 22%
Voters: 50.
Page 1 of 2
I'm going to pick up wood from Home Depot today to build my new telecaster guitar. I have a choice between Pine, Poplar, Oak, Maple. Which do you suggest I buy. I know old telecasters were made of pine so that's tied with poplar right now for my choice.
Pine. Poplar is crap.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
pine is a far better tonewood then people give it credit for. plus the original teles were pine.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
maybe it was only the broadcasters and the esquires..
but the broadcaster was the original tele
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i just dont like poplar for personal reason, that and its wayyy to easy to dent it.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Mar 10, 2009,
and those green mineral streaks...ugh...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
how would a pine body with a 1/2" maple top fare?

EDIT: or a maple- pine-maple body with a 1" piece of pine sandwiched between 2 1/2" maple pieces. Because maple is harder and wouldn't dent as easy
Last edited by Redsx158 at Mar 10, 2009,
Pine. I'm going to build a bass out of the stuff.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Pine, bitch.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Invader Jim
Why bobby? Did poplar sleep with your girly?

Before i knew about all of its wonderful properties i used it to fill some cavity....
The wood shrunk in the climate, and left a horrible looking indent in my body cavity on the back, where it was used to fill in a trem. Also cracked the finish and everything. its not stable enough to use to fill cavitys....

Course this was before i had UG, so i learned my lesson.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
yupp.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
You are underestimating the sexiness of a good piece of pine.

My blank(isn't a blank anymore but I dont have any pics of the body):

It's much sexier in person.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Redsx158
i think i may do a maple front and back with pine in the middle because i've heard pine dents easy and I don't want this guitar denting all over the place.

this sounds like a great idea. do that.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Poplar is my all time favorite tonewood for strat and tele style guitars. It's ugly but it sounds amazing. The tone is very very similar to alder (the traditional tonewood for strat and tele guitars) but it sustains longer and it has more sparkle in the high end. The reason people say it's crap is because it's cheap and ugly which means it's used in cheap guitars. Cheap guitars tend to have low quality control and horrible electronics which equates to bad tone. If you put good electronics into a poplar body guitar you will be amazed at the tone you can get.

Don't forget you need to make sure the wood is properly dried before you build a guitar with it. The rule of thumb for air drying is 1 year per inch of thickness. Home depot doesn't dry their wood so you cant trust that it'll be ready.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Before i knew about all of its wonderful properties i used it to fill some cavity....
The wood shrunk in the climate, and left a horrible looking indent in my body cavity on the back, where it was used to fill in a trem. Also cracked the finish and everything. its not stable enough to use to fill cavitys....

Course this was before i had UG, so i learned my lesson.

You didn't let it dry. Poplar is harder than alder, mahogany, or swamp ash.
Quote by Redsx158
could I just place it in my oven??
Does Home depot really not dry their wood??

It's a bit more complicated than that. Kiln drying still takes a couple months. Most lumberyards don't dry their wood. Most specialty stores that focuse on exotic hardwood will dry their lumber but even then, you should still ask.
Do you mean where to get it from? If so, you are going to have to look at your local options. Exotic wood suppliers are rarely chain stores so every town has different options to look at.
no i mean i really don't have any place near me that does wood? so what should I do with any home depot wood I get and what would happen if I don't let it dry?

Will the guitar crack if I don't.
Last edited by Redsx158 at Mar 11, 2009,
^most likely it'll warp and twist. Both of those things can make a guitar unplayable. If you want to build now then check ebay for body blanks. They will be more expensive but you can use them now! If you can wait then get a billet asap and start letting it dry. There are not that many options and none of them are good.
because 1mm of twist doesn't hurt a deck but it can make a guitar unplayable.
Page 1 of 2