I currently have a Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP, and I have no experience finishing guitars. Therefore, I would definately go to a pro to finish my guitar for me. How much woud a pro charge (just an approximation) to make my guitar look something like this...

silverburst
Gear:
Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
Lots of factors. What kind of paint? You want it sanded to bare wood or just scuff the old paint and paint over it? But a good burst paint job by a pro is gonna cost figure 500.
My dad has some thirty years of experience with woodworking but he's not a luthier, he says it'd come out around $150 for the nitrocellulose finish, maybe more since thay'd have to take the time to sand down the old finish.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
My dad has some thirty years of experience with woodworking but he's not a luthier, he says it'd come out around $150 for the nitrocellulose finish, maybe more since thay'd have to take the time to sand down the old finish.

Probably $150 + labor.

Depends who you talk to. Some guys want to start out painting and want guitars to practice with and they'll charge you price of materials, then you have pros who have been doing it for years who will charge well over $500.

Chances are you might want to change some hardware to get a better look also.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Probably $150 + labor.

That makes sense, my dad probably thought I was giving him a project and didn't consider labor.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
My guitar doesn't have a finish right now, it is just an finished mahogany, so would that lower the price?
Gear:
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
They'll most likely want to sand down the clearcoat and any stain it has and start from fresh wood, and they'll probably charge extra for it. But you can easily do that at home if you know what you're doing, feel comfortable doing it and have a few hours to kill.
bust
Gear:
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal