If I tune it open strings, it sounds fine. But then as I get higher and higher and say , play something around the 12th fret, its completely out of tune and I have to bend the string for it to be in tune. Anyone know the solution to this? I may get new strings but I don't think its just that. I have a tune-o-matic bridge but I'm not exacatly sure what adjustment does what.
It's your intonation. Check the set-up thread in the stickies for an in depth faq, read on for a short guide.

You tune the open string to pitch, check the harmonic on the 12th fret. Then fret the string on the 12th fret and see if it's sharp or flat (flat in your case).
You turn the saddle (Where your string touches your bridge) towards from the neck, slightly, and retune the guitar to pitch, check the harmonic, and then the fretted note etc etc etc until you get it right.
If the string your checking is sharp, you obviously turn the saddle AWAY from the neck.

Edit: Also, it's best to do this with new strings anyway, so get to that.

Also, to the guy below me, adjusting intonation isn't that big of a deal unless it's a floating bridge.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 10, 2009,
its either your strings are very old or over played, or you need a intonation done to your guitar, a intonation keeps the strings in tune all the way up the fret board which is what it seems in your case but hopefully im wrong and its just the strings.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by Y00p
It's your intonation. Check the set-up thread in the stickies for an in depth faq, read on for a short guide.

You tune the open string to pitch, check the harmonic on the 12th fret. Then fret the string on the 12th fret and see if it's sharp or flat (sharp in your case).
You turn the saddle (Where your string touches your bridge) away from the neck, slightly, and retune the guitar to pitch, check the harmonic, and then the fretted note etc etc etc until you get it right.

Edit: Also, it's best to do this with new strings anyway, so get to that.

Also, to the guy below me, intonation isn't that big of a deal unless it's a floating bridge.
This, except if you have to bend the string to get it in tune it must be flat atm... unless I'm having a brain-fart...
Quote by zhilla
This, except if you have to bend the string to get it in tune it must be flat atm... unless I'm having a brain-fart...

Nope, that was my brain-fart. I instantly assumed it was sharp. I'll edit that in.
Quote by Y00p

Also, to the guy below me, intonation isn't that big of a deal unless it's a floating bridge.

i agree with all your saying but that statement just isnt true, ivve owned atleast 15 guitars over the years and floating bridge or not if your intonation is out your going to hit some pretty sour notes moving up that fret board.

my Dot Deluxe needed a intonation very badly and that is a tune-o-matic bridge.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by invision2212
i agree with all your saying but that statement just isnt true, ivve owned atleast 15 guitars over the years and floating bridge or not if your intonation is out your going to hit some pretty sour notes moving up that fret board.

my Dot Deluxe needed a intonation very badly and that is a tune-o-matic bridge.

Oh, of course, you're right. I thought you meant 'I hope it's not' as in 'I hope it's not your intonation because tuning that is a real pain in the ass'. Which it's not, unless on floating bridges.

I meant to say 'intonating' in that other post. I'll edit that in as well.

Yes, that was two brain-farts in one thread.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 10, 2009,
Thanks guys! I've never had to deal with this before so you're a big help! I'll be working on fixing this now. I was scared that this would e a serious problem but it turns out its no big deal. Thanks again!
no problem its so easy once you get over the fear of making it worse, what you have to do is fixable if it goes wrong( it wont i have faith in you).
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo