so ok, i've been playing for about a year and i know mostly intermediate stuff but... i want to improve all of my technique. does anyone have any good riffs to look at that will work on my alternate picking? i want to get my hands synced up and moving at the same speed for alt picking. i can already do it fairly well but i want to improve. sooooo, back to the point. throw some alt picking riffs at me!
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Last edited by alexpalka23 at Mar 10, 2009,
what helped me was just doing scales over and over blah blah blah and after about a month i no longer did all down stroke picking and now today i can stop but playing alternate picking
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by invision2212
what helped me was just doing scales over and over blah blah blah and after about a month i no longer did all down stroke picking and now today i can stop but playing alternate picking
I don't know any food riffs but this is what I do too - but not just up/down, use different patterns so I'm working on finger independence and string skipping and stuff too
Bed of Razors - Children of Bodom
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Quote by invision2212

what are some decent intermediate scales to look at in your opinion?
Try to do " Hey You" by Pink Floyd or " Pardon Me" (acoustic) by Incubus
when i first started trying alt picking i played manson's cover of sweet dreams... but that might be too easy
Quote by alexpalka23

almost any pentatonic scales are great to learn, start in the A position and learn the patterns one at a time eventually learning all patterns in that scale up and down the fret board, you can do some pretty crazy stuff just knowing where the notes are.

try these patterns out and keep at them atleast 20min a day for 30 days and they will be locked in your head for life.

http://www.geocities.com/trollstjerne/pentatonic.html
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Just run through scales with a metronome, it will be much easier to utilize alt picking in something you use a lot, such as scales for your own soloing. If you learn alt picking by learning songs, it might be harder to apply it to improvisation.

Of course it won't hurt to learn songs though, since they'll throw you into situations you wouldn't regularly see in improv
Quote by alexpalka23

What scales do you know now? I just tend to stick to pentatonic minor (with the odd blues note), major, and minor (mainly natural, but with the occasional melodic or harmonic minor thrown in) in a couple of different positions
the main riff off master of puppets, great for your pinky and alternate picking on different strings
Running through scales doesn't help anything except helping you play that scale, if you ask me. I'm not saying all of these guys are wrong, I just disagree. I would tell you to learn licks rather than scales. However, if you're just starting with alt. picking, scales might be the best way for now.
Quote by The.new.guy
Running through scales doesn't help anything except helping you play that scale, if you ask me. I'm not saying all of these guys are wrong, I just disagree. I would tell you to learn licks rather than scales. However, if you're just starting with alt. picking, scales might be the best way for now.

how would scales not work????

you dont have to follow the pattern up and down but your still alternating your picking regardless if its a scale or not, i say scales because they help soloing out bigtime just knowing where the notes are located.

riffs are fine to but what if he doesnt know any???

maybe hes in his 1st year playing we dont know and can only offer advice to him
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by The.new.guy

i feel the same way after looking at these scales. i might just find licks like what was mentioned.
Quote by invision2212
how would scales not work????

you dont have to follow the pattern up and down but your still alternating your picking regardless if its a scale or not, i say scales because they help soloing out bigtime just knowing where the notes are located.

riffs are fine to but what if he doesnt know any???

trust me, i'm no total noob beginner. i can play alot of things rather well. i know a bunch of songs that i'm about to try and apply this to more, starting with welcome home by coheed and cambria. seems like that intro may be good for this. probably just try and see how fast i can get it without focking up.
imo scales are useful for this sort of thing because they give you a structure to start off with - I certainly wouldn't advocate just going up and down the scale, but I think playing about with it making up your own exercises and licks can be really useful. Sorry if I didn't say that before. Having said that, learning other people's licks can get you out of your comfort zone and make you push yourself a bit more.
Quote by invision2212

And if it is his first year, riffs would be the best thing for him to learn. Learning riffs is only going to help him. Learning scales could actually hurt him musically. No...Let me rephrase that; Learning scales would help him if he learned the intervals in the scale. Learning where your fingers go in a scale could hurt him.

Also, if it's his first year, he's not going to be ready to start with much music theory. With riffs, he can use them to improvise. They can also give him a better place to start when writing his own music.