So one method of changing strings on a floyd rose is to change one string at a time. The other method is to block the back of the cavity with a 9v battery or a piece of wood or something, and change the strings with the tremolo blocked.

My question is, which way works better? I just got a guitar with a FR, and it's time to change strings. I need advice

depends if you need to clean the fretboard or not
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do the 9 volt battery method, but that usually isn't big enough, so add some wood shims are not cards until it stays in place.
what i do is place something about equal size right under the bridge on the body of the guitar keeping it pretty level as it was strung and......da da da da.....restring.

and when you tune to pitch you have to alternate strings - low E - high E- A string and so on.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by invision2212
what i do is place something about equal size right under the bridge on the body of the guitar keeping it pretty level as it was strung and......da da da da.....restring.

and when you tune to pitch you have to alternate strings - low E - high E- A string and so on.

so you prop up the trem, then restring ALL the strings at once?
Do one at a time. Its easy and the only way you guarantee not breaking your pinky.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
^ lolwut?

^^ yeah. but as i said, if you aren't planning on cleaning the fretboard, you can just restring it string by string.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by J Mud

yup all at once and never had a problem with it, infact i never heard string at a time until i came here a few years ago, not saying its wrong i just never tried it and old habits die hard i guess.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by J Mud

Don't do this. String by String is by far the easiest way to do it, you dont have to do anything with the tremolo, and when you finish putting all the strings back on, it'll be ready to go.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
^ how do you clean your fretboard? if you want to clean your fretboard, like ever, you more or less have to take off all the strings.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ how do you clean your fretboard? if you want to clean your fretboard, like ever, you more or less have to take off all the strings.

Not really, Just squirt some lemon oil on the fretboard and put a paper towel folded up a couple of times under the strings and run it up and down the neck, the string tension basically cleans the fret board by itself, and you get all that crap off the bottom of your strings at the same time, for deep cleaning right beside the frets i just use a q-tip.

It's always worked for me.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Mar 10, 2009,
Dave_MC: Not really... Just push the bar down and you can easily get all sorts of 0000 steel wool, oil-soaked rags and brushes in there...

However, I do prefer to clean an unstringed guitar too.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Mar 10, 2009,
i guess so... yeah, i just prefer to take them off and whack something in under the bridge, makes things a lot simpler.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whatever you do, don't underestimate how much tension those springs can have. If you block it off by putting somethign accross the hole make sure it sits flat on the finish on both sides of the hole. I once put something into the hole on both sides at an angle and it left little dents where the pressure sat on the corner of the cavity.
good point. i've done that too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One string at a time, for sure. If something goes wrong when all of them are off, you're really ****ed. -_-
One at a time. Isnt having no strings on the guitar supposed to damage it due to neck tension? I might be wrong

Even with all the strings on, the fretboard can be cleaned with lemon oil and a cloth, as you can bend the strings when they get in the way
^ probably will be fine with all the strings off, at least in the length of time it takes you to restring.

Quote by toyboxmonster
One string at a time, for sure. If something goes wrong when all of them are off, you're really ****ed. -_-

how are you ****ed, exactly?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ probably will be fine with all the strings off, at least in the length of time it takes you to restring.

I guess because something is more likely to happen in terms of neck damage if the strings are off
but what is likely to go wrong? i'm not trying to be an ogre or something, i'm just not seeing it. it's a bit like telling someone not to go outside in case they get hit with a meteorite... theoretically possible, i guess, but not terribly likely. certainly not likely enough to avoid doing something which (imo) makes things a lot easier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

It just gets very tedious getting it back to the right height and then making sure the strings stretch correctly before you lock everything in, etc...

I did away with Floyd Roses a few months back. They're just too much hassle.

Anyone who says floyds are a hassle is just a moron. Even changing tunings on a floyd can be done with ease once you know what you're doing.

I restring will all strings off at once, as I find it much easier to clean the fretboard and oil it up without the strings.

Very simple, and only takes me ~10-15 min to do.

One at a time seems more tedious to me...cleaning around strings and what not...never understood why people bothered...probably just playing follow the leader.

I'd say generally if anyone says all strings at once is a no-no, or that floyds are a hassle, they are typically an idiot, and don't deserve your time.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
^ i wouldn't be just as harsh as you (haha, when i first had one i didn't have a clue either, and it took me quite a while to get a clue), but agreed, more or less.

Quote by toyboxmonster
It just gets very tedious getting it back to the right height and then making sure the strings stretch correctly before you lock everything in, etc...

it should still be at the same height even if you remove the strings?

also, you have to stretch the strings whether you change them one at a time or all at once, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

it should still be at the same height even if you remove the strings? :confused

i think he means changing guages.

ANYWAY i put a wedge in the cavity behind my FR and changed all the strings in under 20 minutes. first time changing FR strings too... Maybe next time i'll try one by one to compare
Quote by nvranka
Anyone who says floyds are a hassle is just a moron. Even changing tunings on a floyd can be done with ease once you know what you're doing.

There are a lot of professional jazz & blues musicians you're grouping into the category of 'moron'.

And they are a hassle. I'm not saying they're impossible, or that I can't deal with them, but changing stings does take longer, and a Rose can really **** you over onstage. To me, that seems to justify calling them 'a hassle'.
but a lot of those problems are problems with any floating trem, not just floyds, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
but a lot of those problems are problems with any floating trem, not just floyds, surely?

Changing strings on a Strat takes a couple of minutes.

And a string breaking doesn't cause it to go quite as out of tune, does it? I'm not terribly familiar with strats; I've never liked them much.
Instead of hassling with al of the cutting the ball off and all that junk, just put your stings through your tuning pegs and you dont have to worry about all the extra cutting and measuring.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Quote by The Philosopher
Instead of hassling with al of the cutting the ball off and all that junk, just put your stings through your tuning pegs and you dont have to worry about all the extra cutting and measuring.

You're going to have fun winding all that spare string unless you cut off the excess which you could have done anyway to get rid of the ball bearing which can also create burrs in your posts which could lead to strings snapping more easily.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Changing strings on a Strat takes a couple of minutes.

And a string breaking doesn't cause it to go quite as out of tune, does it? I'm not terribly familiar with strats; I've never liked them much.

if the strat trem is set up to float, it'll take longer to set up (close to as long as a floyd), and broken strings will also throw it out of tune.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

You can just remove the trem before you restring.
And stringing with the ball ends at the tuners is much easier. Plus if you use D'addario's it looks cool
Quote by Dave_Mc
if the strat trem is set up to float, it'll take longer to set up (close to as long as a floyd), and broken strings will also throw it out of tune.

In that case, in every comment I say "floyd rose", you are authorised to see "floating tremolo system".
^

Quote by littlephil
You can just remove the trem before you restring.

good point
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?