Hi all.

I just got a new Ibanez RG2550Z prestige and it is by far the best guitar I've ever played in terms of feel, and it is very good sound wise, but I think new pickups will kick the sound up a notch. I've decided on Dimarzios and am thinking of PAF Pro in the neck, Pro Track in the middle, and PAF pro in the bridge. However, I don't know if the pickups will be hot enough for what I want to do. I play a lot of leads, in the style of Vai or Gilbert, play a lot of metal, good chunky rhythms are a must, leads must be tight with a balance of brightness and warmth, and I also play a lot of blues.

Thanks
I think Gilbert's signature model has both PAF Pros in bridge and neck, FWIW.
But, I've had real good experiences with the Tone Zone. Fantastic mids, not squealy, really solid pickup. Sounds great when coil tapped.
Yeah, I was thinking PAF pros because they seem very versatile and good for chops playing, how do they compare to the tonezone?
Ya know, I can't really give you a solid answer on that. I had a PAF Pro on the bridge of a HM strat many years ago, and was happy with it. I really like the Tone Zone b/c of the mid levels on the pup, and its hotter output. The Dimarzio site and forum actually has the best info for you, I think, for real comparisons, and Dimarzio users who really know their stuff. I just think, based on your description of what you need for a bridge pup, the TZ might be a better choice. Lots of Dimarzio players also dig the Evo for the bridge.
PAF Pros are outstanding neck position pickups with great clarity and tonal versatility.
You shouldn't be worrying about having a high output unless you're cranking your tube amp, technically.
I'd stick to a true single coil in the middle; after all, who uses the middle for anything but mixed positions anyway?

How's your budget and what amp will you be playing through? And do you have any specific tonal demands?
I don't really have a set budget right now, just getting a rough outline of what I want. I'll be playing through a Carvin V3, and I WILL be cranking it. Needs to be able to play Really good biting yet smooth leads, think Satriani or Vai, good chunky rhythms, a lot of blues. etc.
Quote by Chickenparts
I don't really have a set budget right now, just getting a rough outline of what I want. I'll be playing through a Carvin V3, and I WILL be cranking it. Needs to be able to play Really good biting yet smooth leads, think Satriani or Vai, good chunky rhythms, a lot of blues. etc.

In that case I'd spring for Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats; they should suit you perfectly, dealing out a good deal of front end push with a brilliant lead tone that's exactly what you're after. They're pricey though.
I suggest you email tim at Bare Knuckle Pickups and consult him on your choice of pickups. He's a really nice guy and he more than knows his stuff.
Ibanez makes good pickups for their guitars but they are the classic example of people that trust spec sheets and computer readouts rather than their own ear. The specs tell them they are making the right pickups for their guitars but in practice they don't usually work.

I suggest you try swapping the magnets in the neck and bridge pickups before you buy anything. The neck pickup in that guitar is wound about as hot as a PAF but uses a ceramic magnet which leaves it sounding cold and weak. Putting the bridge's alnico 5 magnet in the neck pickup will add warmth and boost midrange and give the illusion of having more power. The overall tone will then change and be more like a slightly hotter than normal PAF.

The bridge pickup in that guitar has a mushy low end and lacks top end bite. By putting the necks ceramic magnet in there it'll add top end, tighten the low end, extend the frequency range of the pickup, and move some of the emphasise out of the midrange to help give the pickup more balance and distortion.

so give it a shot. If you don't like what you hear then get new pickups but if you do like what you hear than you saved yourself a lot of cash.
Not taking any online orders.
Well I tried the Paf Pro in the neck of my RG2550, and I mostly liked except it seemed to boomy on the low E string. It also had this excess hum about it though that may have actually been because I should have shortened the wires more. While I like the cleans on it more than the stock ones, it felt like there was something missing with the lots of gain thrown at it. Where I am at now is a Breed in the neck and an Evo2 in the bridge, its working for me atm.
Guitars: Ibanez RG2550, RG920QM, SZ520QM
Amp: Marshall Haze 15, Eminence Man-O-War Speaker
Effects: Digitech RP250, DIY Keeley Mod DS-1, Jemini
Quote by Rock Pig
In that case I'd spring for Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats; they should suit you perfectly, dealing out a good deal of front end push with a brilliant lead tone that's exactly what you're after. They're pricey though.
I suggest you email tim at Bare Knuckle Pickups and consult him on your choice of pickups. He's a really nice guy and he more than knows his stuff.

This. If money isn't that big of a factor, I always go Bareknuckle.
Here's two vids of a guy using the Cold Sweats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEy1Gjt5JZc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjyaNOaFGdw
That's the Cold Sweat in bridge. That tone, to me, sounds exactly like what you want.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
^ Uh, no, do this \/

Quote by CorduroyEW
Ibanez makes good pickups for their guitars but they are the classic example of people that trust spec sheets and computer readouts rather than their own ear. The specs tell them they are making the right pickups for their guitars but in practice they don't usually work.

I suggest you try swapping the magnets in the neck and bridge pickups before you buy anything. The neck pickup in that guitar is wound about as hot as a PAF but uses a ceramic magnet which leaves it sounding cold and weak. Putting the bridge's alnico 5 magnet in the neck pickup will add warmth and boost midrange and give the illusion of having more power. The overall tone will then change and be more like a slightly hotter than normal PAF.

The bridge pickup in that guitar has a mushy low end and lacks top end bite. By putting the necks ceramic magnet in there it'll add top end, tighten the low end, extend the frequency range of the pickup, and move some of the emphasise out of the midrange to help give the pickup more balance and distortion.

so give it a shot. If you don't like what you hear then get new pickups but if you do like what you hear than you saved yourself a lot of cash.
Quote by PainIsPower
^ Uh, no, do this \/

How about you justify yourself instead of simply making a pointless statement?
Obviously Cord's a genius and his idea will probably solve the whole problem but that doesn't mean you simply disregard all other suggestions just yet. It definitely doesn't mean you actually tell him to disregard other opinions.
Quote by Rock Pig
How about you justify yourself instead of simply making a pointless statement?
Obviously Cord's a genius and his idea will probably solve the whole problem but that doesn't mean you simply disregard all other suggestions just yet. It definitely doesn't mean you actually tell him to disregard other opinions.

Mr Pig;

I think it is you that needs to justify a pointless statement, the one quoted. My statement has merit, I was reaffirming Cord's post and by disregarding other posts in the thread pointing out that it has been the most useful piece of information posted so far in this thread.

Also, every one has neglected one of the more important pieces of information in this, as to what amp he is playing through. Also, no one has commented on his statement that he wants to play metal and blues with these which are stretching the limits a bit. You can't get the best of both world's.
Quote by PainIsPower
Mr Pig;

I think it is you that needs to justify a pointless statement, the one quoted. My statement has merit, I was reaffirming Cord's post and by disregarding other posts in the thread pointing out that it has been the most useful piece of information posted so far in this thread.

In your opinion. Something you neglected to mention. It's not so much the "do this" I took issue with though, as the "don't do that." The point of my post was to point out the fact that every other opinion in the thread was valid as well, something you appear to disagree with right now.
Also, every one has neglected one of the more important pieces of information in this, as to what amp he is playing through. Also, no one has commented on his statement that he wants to play metal and blues with these which are stretching the limits a bit. You can't get the best of both world's.

Quote by Rock Pig

what amp will you be playing through?

Quote by Chickenparts
I'll be playing through a Carvin V3

I cannot extoll enough to you the importance of READING. Amp was adressed. yes there will be compromise if you want to play metal and blues but I would in fact argue that this compromise is barely noticeable with the Bare Knuckles reccomended nd that any Hot PAF will handle both styles with ease.

Now you can respond to this however you wish but I'm not going to let myself be held responsible for turning this thread into an argument so I'm not going to post after this, however much I might disagree with your opinion.