Page 1 of 2
Hey i searched for this same thread by using the searchbar , i didn't find it (surprisingly )

I was playing guitar earlier (my big steel stringed acoustic) and i noticed that the high e had gone quite out of tune, i was about to tune it up but then i kept playing and thought to myself 'i kinda like this sound'. I don't like it for everything but i've noticed sometimes when my guitars are out of tune especially on an acoustic i find it sounds more raw with more character or something

So how about you guys? Ever enjoy it when your guitars abit out
Have fun playing chords...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I sometimes tune my 6 string a bit below the "perfect" pitch of whatever tuning I use... not that much, but enough for a subtle difference
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
No - I suppose you could get away with it if it's out by a whole semitone/tone and you're just noodling, but otherwise just no..
Quote by kylepianoman
I sometimes tune my 6 string a bit below the "perfect" pitch of whatever tuning I use... not that much, but enough for a subtle difference

similar to a chorus effect or just abit lower? Sounds good actually, i might do it
Quote by \Powerslave/
Your chords will sound beyond horrible.

But they're horrible in such a good way It sounds like the guitar has been through a lot.
Quote by The Clerk
But they're horrible in such a good way It sounds like the guitar has been through a lot.

Uhhhhhhhhh...no.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ugh, you are just like one of my friends who gave me a free bass. He almost NEVER played in tune, firmly believing that when he would improvise, it would sound "dark and mysterious"... Bull ****, it sounded like he didn't know what he was doing. And if he did find something that soudned good, he could never play it again. But, if he was in tune, the notes are still there, he would just have to find them.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
when i restring i play with the notes as they are before tuning it up and got some pretty nifty sounds, hell if anything it killed 30min of the day keeping me amused
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
No. Just no. It MIGHT sound slightly cool if you play around with a slide, but that's it. Chords, scales and any theory is out of the window.
you fail.

my low E is the first thing that goes out of tune, it makes me want to kill babies when its out of tune on its own and i try to play chords.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
You can be slightly out of tune, if all six of your strings are out of tune together. If you have one string to tuned perfectly and another a quarter step flat and then another a half step sharp you're going to sound like ass.

And no it doesn't sound good.
Quote by conor1148
you fail.

my low E is the first thing that goes out of tune, it makes me want to kill babies when its out of tune on its own and i try to play chords.

what kind of bridge is your guitar using?
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
that sounds like something someone who has never studied ear training would say.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
All the strings on my Fender detune at the same rate, so that when I pick it up it's usually about an eight of a step flat but still tuned to itself. It comes off sounding like E standard but bassier, I think it sounds pretty hot. But all the strings have to be their normal intervals apart or it'll just be gross.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by voteforpedro36
Jack White? Is that you?

Jack White is one of my favourite guitarists
Quote by The Clerk
similar to a chorus effect or just abit lower? Sounds good actually, i might do it

not really sure since I don't use chorus... just whatever sounds good

I do it mostly when I'm a half step down though
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by invision2212
what kind of bridge is your guitar using?

one is a TOM, the other is my floyd that i usually keep in dive only mode (tremol-no)

both do the same thing.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by biga29
Have fun playing chords...
LOL, how to look, and sound, like an arse all at the same time.
If you're talking something like EADGBEb then that's cool to fool with, or whatever (just play in an open tuning ), but something like EADGBEb1/2 is just...

Ew.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
as long as it's tuned to its self, i think it should ok.
correct me if I'm wrong
Robert Smith from the Cure often kept his 12-string out-of-tune...

Just throwing that out there.

I'm not sure why.

I'll be going now.
Quote by The Clerk
Jack White is one of my favourite guitarists

Me too, I didn't mean that as an insult.
For me, an out of tune guitar drives me nuts. Especially the acoustics.

Alternate tunings.....now that's a different story (Foo Fighters "Name" comes to mind)

jack
07 Ernie Ball Axis
04 Ernie Ball Axis Supersport MM90
04 Ernie Ball Sub 1
06 Godin Exit 22
69 Guild Studio 302
06 mim Telecaster
2000 Ovation S771 Balladeer
97 Stratocaster mim
2005 Stratocaster mim
99 squier strat
07 Ernie Ball Albert Lee
How do you harmonize on the high e string if it's out of tune less than half a semi tone or in between semi tones? I'm a bit skeptical but my Schecter isn't perfectly in tune and it sounds okay. But to my ears it does sound a lot better when it is.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Once in a while I tune my G string on my LP just a little sharp and it sounds better, but usually I just tune it up as usual and go about my business...
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
The only time I've ever heard a guitar sound good out of tune would have to be watching a vid on youtube of Hendrix playing "Wild Thing" (the one where he sacrifices his guitar at the end), or generally any Hendrix song where his strat would go out, which is like all of them lol.

Or when Matt Belamy (Bellamy?) smashes an explorer style Ibanez at the end of a song on the Hullabaloo DVD.

Saying this, the only time a guitar sounds good out of tune in my opinion is when the stage antics performed by the guitarist playing it balance out the fact it's out of tune.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
I don't know how that could be true, and for the guy who said the low E goes out quicker then all the rest i agree, probably because i play in a cold basement and it's subject to a fair amount of temperature change, either way the moment i hit a chord when it's out of tune i start twitching. Idk how you can stand it.
I think that anyone that has just said "No." or something similar is retarded. Eddie Van Halen and other hard rock outfits around that time often tuned their guitars to a Beatless third as opposed to a major third because he thought it took that overly happy feel out of major chords. Have fun experimenting man, I hope you come up with something cool.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
I think that anyone that has just said "No." or something similar is retarded. Eddie Van Halen and other hard rock outfits around that time often tuned their guitars to a Beatless third as opposed to a major third because he thought it took that overly happy feel out of major chords. Have fun experimenting man, I hope you come up with something cool.

+1
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by The Clerk
Hey i searched for this same thread by using the searchbar , i didn't find it (surprisingly )

I was playing guitar earlier (my big steel stringed acoustic) and i noticed that the high e had gone quite out of tune, i was about to tune it up but then i kept playing and thought to myself 'i kinda like this sound'. I don't like it for everything but i've noticed sometimes when my guitars are out of tune especially on an acoustic i find it sounds more raw with more character or something

So how about you guys? Ever enjoy it when your guitars abit out

hahahaha

No.
Quote by The Clerk

Imagine Cartman's face when he's trying to get into the paralympics.

That's what I look like now.
Quote by yM.Samurai

no.

what you are talking about is an alternate tuning.

what the ts is doing, is playing out of tune.
apples and oranges.

and to the fella having problems with his E string, post in the setup Q n A thread at top of the page.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2