I put on some Ernie Ball heavy gauge strings on my PRS SE 22 because I am trying to drop tune two steps. The 6th string isn't sitting in the nut properly. Is it ok to gently file the nut opening?
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Last edited by silver93t at Mar 10, 2009,
i had that problem with my SE Custom putting on 48-10 gauge, unfortunately this guitar is setup for 9's and i guess someone didnt think of us people who use 10's and above so just gently file it down very slowly and all should be good.

BTW tell me that isnt a sick guitar to own
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Last edited by invision2212 at Mar 10, 2009,
I'm running the ernie ball 12-56's becuase I play drop b so I just brought my guitar to the store and they fixed the nut for me
i had to do this with my rhoads
i had just bout ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom
all i did was file it down a bit
unless you have a set of files designed for this, get it done professionally, because if you screw up you have to get a new nut installed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to use a small hobby file.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I'm an engine builder by trade so I am pretty used to filing engine seals and other parts to clearance. I think ill be alright.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I'm pretty happy with the SE 22. I'd love a custom 24 or McCarty but can't justify spending that much when I've only been playing a year.I honestly think my Epiphone Les Paul looks better and the two guitars are in the same price range, but the PRS feels better to me. I got the PRS 2nd hand for $300 so I can't complain.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Does filling the nut down not affect you innotation or the guitars "stayintuneobility?

Just wondering sorry for being a noob.
Quote by Arnthor
Does filling the nut down not affect you innotation or the guitars "stayintuneobility?

Just wondering sorry for being a noob.

It does if the string starts catching the sides of said filed down nut while bending. Shouldn't be bad at all if he does it properly though.