Most people who get their wah's, like the Original Crybaby, complain that it sucks tone, because it isn't true bypass. My question is, why doesn't Dunlop just make them true bypass? How much extra would it cost them to do this?
Cost me about $6.

Heh.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
i dont understand why everyone doesnt do true bypass all the time. i mean, its much easier to wire something up true bypass than it is to make some funky buffering system. i dont know.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
not a whole lot, from my expereince it's actually cheaper to make something true bypass than it is to use a buffer (even a cheap POS one like on some of the crybabies) it would take a slight redesign with the wiring though, which is probably why they don't do it.

Also it should be noted that in some cases it's better to have a buffered pedal or two, since it reinforces your signal (at least a good buffer will) and results in less tone loss due to running through a long pedal chain.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Brownie2
Most people who get their wah's, like the Original Crybaby, complain that it sucks tone, because it isn't true bypass. My question is, why doesn't Dunlop just make them true bypass? How much extra would it cost them to do this?

Because true bypass is not the god send everyone thinks it is....

But the main reason is its a cheap pedal and that extra $6 bucks means alot to a company when they are making thousands of them on a daily basis and trying to hit a certain price point...
If they aren't making them true bypass it's because they wouldn't be making as much money if they did.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
they wanna sell it cheap. whaddya expect. You know, Microsoft can pay less than 50 cents per Xbox to fix the Red ring of death, but they don't because people buy them anyways and they don't want to sell it for more than they already do.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
they wanna sell it cheap. whaddya expect. You know, Microsoft can pay less than 50 cents per Xbox to fix the Red ring of death, but they don't because people buy them anyways and they don't want to sell it for more than they already do.

RROD is a solder issue that they can't change if they want it to be ROHS compliant.

But as far the true bypass its because it is a lot more manual labor for people to solder 6 connections than it is for them to solder 3. People want more money than machines do.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Because true bypass is not the god send everyone thinks it is....

Whilst I totally agree with you on this, the TS has a valid point.
In my experience it only sucks tone if it's the only pedal in your signal chain. Throw a couple true bypass pedals in there and the buffer actually helps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments