Page 1 of 3
None.
How familiar are you with diatonic harmony? If your answer is "what's that?", you probably shouldn't be worrying about "exotic scales".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
None.
How familiar are you with diatonic harmony? If your answer is "what's that?", you probably shouldn't be worrying about "exotic scales".

Um ok...

So, what exotic scales do you guys use?
Quote by The Arsis
What are the ones you use?

I like the Etruscan scale. The Alantian minor is pretty sweet as well.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I like the Etruscan scale. The Alantian minor is pretty sweet as well.

Sarcasm?

Cause I googled those and got a bunch of travel websites

To answer the question though, I don't do anything fancy. The most exotic thing I use is a mix of Lydian and Lydian Dominant.
I like the Byzantine scale, the Asian scale (don't know the name), and the Hungarian minor is pretty cool. I would say something egyptian, but I use the Diminished scale to get an egyptian sound, and Phrygian Dominant to get a middle-eastern/arabic sound.

Lydian sounds pretty exotic to me.
Quote by one vision
Sarcasm?

Cause I googled those and got a bunch of travel websites

To answer the question though, I don't do anything fancy. The most exotic thing I use is a mix of Lydian and Lydian Dominant.

LOL ! yeah, I was just jokin'
shred is gaudy music
Byzantine, which is E-F-G#-A-B-C-D#. For those that'd like to know.

Also, if it counts the half-whole Diminished is somewhat exotic IMO.
Hirojoshi, Neapolitan (both major and minor), Hungarian Minor, Kumoi, Composite II, and Persian are some of my favorite Exotic scales.
Fender Tie-Dye Stratocaster
Charvel So-Cal (Dimarzio Air Norton and D-Sonic)
Minarik Inferno (SD Pearly Gates and Custom Custom)
Guild GAD-C3 (A flamenca negra)
Yamaha FG433S (A steel-string acoustic)

Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Peavey Rage 158
Last edited by HellRaiser620 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by The Arsis
Um ok...

So, what exotic scales do you guys use?

Phrygian dominant, Kumoi, Persian, Hirojoshi.

those are all i can think of ATM
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by gonzaw
Jungle mango lydian...
Caribbean diminished pirate scale...
M-Exo-lydian-Tic...
Heaven's scale (ator)

Funnyly they all share the same notes as the major scale, and that's probably one of the only thing that matter in western tonality...

wtf are you talking about.

are those even real?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Colton165
wtf are you talking about.

are those even real?

funnyly he is. lol
I think exotic scales are just a way for the people who don't know theory to pretend they do and try to show people up.

Use the major scale, kids.
Quote by Kaos_00
I think exotic scales are just a way for the people who don't know theory to pretend they do and try to show people up.

+1
just cause someone knows 10000 exotic scales, doesnt mean they're good at improvising with them.
i ussually just use the major, minor, harmonic minor and add in chromatics for spice.
(and modes)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by Kaos_00

Yup, because Nile, Behemoth, and Necrophagist love though C major scale runs, kids.

Remember kids! If you use an exotic scale, you know **** about **** about theory and you're a poser! Exotic scales are just there to look at and read about.
Quote by The Arsis
Yup, because Nile, Behemoth, and Necrophagist love though C major scale runs, kids.

Remember kids! If you use an exotic scale, you know **** about **** about theory and you're a poser! Exotic scales are just there to look at and read about.

Name one exotic scale any of those bands use.
Quote by blueriver
Name one exotic scale any of those bands use.

Phyrgian Dominant
Byzantine( basically Phyrian Dominant with rised 7th)
Enigmatic scale
Spanish scale
Augmented scale
Oriental Scale (behemoth uses this scale a lot)
and a few others that I can't name off the top of my head
Hungarian Gypsy Minor
Lydian Dominant
Phrygian Major - I know a lot of guys call this Phrygian Dominant, but Dominant implies a b7. Phrygian already has a b7, but it doesn't have a major 3rd. And Frank Gambale calls it Phrygian Major...so there.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by The Arsis
Phyrgian Dominant
Enigmatic scale
Spanish scale
Augmented scale

Ok, I'm not really into Nile or Behemoth, but I have listened to tons of Necrophagist and this is what I have heard. Minor and diminished sweep arpeggios, and extensive use of harmonic minor and diminished licks. Anyways I'm going to check out Behemoth, and be very upset if I don't find any use of the Oriental scale that I am about to google since I have no idea what it is.
Quote by blueriver
Ok, I'm not really into Nile or Behemoth, but I have listened to tons of Necrophagist and this is what I have heard. Minor and diminished sweep arpeggios, and extensive use of harmonic minor and diminished licks. Anyways I'm going to check out Behemoth, and be very upset if I don't find any use of the Oriental scale that I am about to google since I have no idea what it is.

You do know that certain scales in different keys can fall into other scales, right?

Trust me, Behemoth uses the Oriental scale.
Quote by The Arsis
Phyrgian Dominant
Enigmatic scale
Spanish scale
Augmented scale

A few of those wouldn't be classified as "exotic", and the rest of them would be far better described as alterations to the diatonic scale. Even if we gave you a list of "exotic scales" (that miraculously fit into our system of temperament, despite most cultures that one would consider "exotic" possessing an entirely different system of tuning), chances are you would lack the requisite knowledge to apply them to composition. As BGC would say, you need to run before you can walk.

You do know that certain scales in different keys can fall into other scales

What? It almost sounds like you're trying to describe modes (inaccurately), but this doesn't make any sense.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 11, 2009,
I don't tend to use them much, well Harmonic minor but that's barely exotic.

Always fancied the sound of Byzantine and Spanish Gypsy though!
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by The Arsis
You do know that certain scales in different keys can fall into other scales, right?

Trust me, Behemoth uses the Oriental scale.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Originally Posted by The Arsis
You do know that certain scales in different keys can fall into other scales, right? Trust me, Behemoth uses the Oriental scale.

Exactly. These 'exotic' scales are just the major scale with one or two accidentals. The composer didn't run a Google search for an exotic scale and use that to base his song on... he used the major scale and added intervals that achieved the sound he wanted.

These scales are best used to analyze written music. If you're writing with them, then it's because you don't fully understand how to use the major scale first. Your songs will come out one dimensional and boring. They probably wont sound at all like the artist that you took the scale from.
Last edited by Kaos_00 at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
A few of those wouldn't be classified as "exotic", and the rest of them would be far better described as alterations to the diatonic scale. Even if we gave you a list of "exotic scales" (that miraculously fit into our system of temperament, despite most cultures that one would consider "exotic" possessing an entirely different system of tuning), chances are you would lack the requisite knowledge to apply them to composition. As BGC would say, you need to run before you can walk.

What? It almost sounds like you're trying to describe modes (inaccurately), but this doesn't make any sense.

I have seen a lot of guys like you. You think you know more about something then everyone else and then show it off in others faces to make yourself look better. You know more theory than I do! thats great for you. You know nothing about the knowledge I have towards theory or composition so don't pretend you do. The funny thing about composing is that it is an not an objective matter of rules. From the looks of it, you think it is. Don't describe something you don't know. I know what you are doing and I think it is pretty pathetic.

It does make sense, it is just that you guys don't understand the context of what I'm saying. Some scales have the same notes as others but the other scales may have more notes within it to make it a unique scale. If you still don't get it, I'll give an example trrw.
Quote by The Arsis
I have seen a lot of guys like you. You think you know more about something then everyone else and then show it off in others faces to make yourself look better. You know more theory than I do! thats great for you. You know nothing about the knowledge I have towards theory or composition so don't pretend you do. The funny thing about composing is that it is an not an objective matter of rules. From the looks of it, you think it is. Don't describe something you don't know. I know what you are doing and I think it is pretty pathetic.

It does make sense, it is just that you guys don't understand the context of what I'm saying. Some scales have the same notes as others but the other scales may have more notes within it to make it a unique scale. If you still don't get it, I'll give an example trrw.

Normally your outrage would be justified, since I have a tendency to be an ass. The post you responded to, however, was actually quite polite, which just makes you look look like a whining little brat. Additionally, I'll thank you not to read into my post what wasn't there. I made no mention of "objective rules", nor do I need to show off to make myself look better (if I think I'm better than someone, I'll simply say so). What I and other have been trying to tell you is that a working knowledge of diatonic harmony will serve you far better than knowing a few box shapes of harmonically useless "exotic" scales. Most of the bands you listed are either based heavily in the minor scale (as is the vast majority of metal), or simply makes liberal use of chromaticism. Either way, new scales won't give you a similar sound.
I use whatever the song calls for to achieve the sound that I want. I don't know what an "exotic scale" is.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I don't really think that counts as an "exotic" scale.

Anything can sound "exotic" if you use it right. That was the point I was making.
TEST FOR SCALE EXOTICISM;

Have you heard of the scale?

No?

Then the scale is exotic.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Kaos_00

I think people believe these exotic scales are the way to spice up their playing when they just aren't ready to, you don't need to be looking up more scales.. you just need to improve your phrasing with the major scale and its modes.

the only scale I use often besides major/minor is the blues scale/penatonics
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Mar 11, 2009,
Page 1 of 3