What is the most efficent method to take the frets off of my Squier J-Bass? I have heard using a hammer and chisel is the best but I figured I would consult the GB&C forum first

Once I choose a method how do I go about actually removing the frets?

When I have removed all the frets, filled the slots where the frets were, and sanded it all down what do I coat the fretboard in? I love the look of the black fretless necks but I dont know if there is anything commercially available to coat the neck in.

Would I be better off just buying a neck off of Warmoth?
you can remove the frets by pressing a soldering iron(or any other hot but compact object) on to the fret and then lifting them out with pliers.

this is not the right answer, but i put wax in the slots.. it works, but there are probably better alternatives.. i dont know what to coat it with
Quote by paul banks
you can remove the frets by pressing a soldering iron(or any other hot but compact object) on to the fret and then lifting them out with pliers.

this is not the right answer, but i put wax in the slots.. it works, but there are probably better alternatives.. i dont know what to coat it with

Where do you grab onto the fret with the pliers? Im assuming you grab onto the edges and work towards the middle?
lol. i did it and. got a knife and cut really close to the fret to prevent chipping, and just got a pair of vice grips(locking pliers) and just ripped them out from the middle straight up.i tried the soldering method first but got burns and more chips. then i just put in wood filler, sanded it down, and got marker stains and colored them in. you could still see the fret easily but it just covers up the filler so it looks nice
use the soldering method, but use flesh cut pliers to go under the fret and life out, you'll need to rest the soldering iron on 3 parts of the fret, side middle then last side, lift as you go being careful not to rip a chunk of fretboard out. after you have it out, you may want to fill it with several different things, if its a darker wood, you could fill it with maple dust and super fine super glue to have the frets marked where they were.., or vice versa if its maple and you want darker lines.., build it up then radius it back down till its all clean. wah-la, through some tung oil on there and knock it down lightly with some fine steel wool and you have yourself a nice fretless neck.
Knife.
It took me ten minutes to defret, and there was no damage to the board at all.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Use a screwdriver from the side where the filler is
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.
Resin epoxy works fine.

Also, for pliers, nippers will work. They look like this

(Invalid img)

But get the smallest ones you can find.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...