Ok, before answering, please do not be an ideot and say things like "shove a first act amp up your ass to get that sound".

Now, i want a nice combo amp, or cabinet with a head for up to $700.00 all together that will give me a good metal/metalcore tone.

I play much metalcore such as A7X, Bullet for my Valentine, etc. But, I also play much other metal such as Pantera, Children of Bodom, Slayer. And last, I play tons of classic rock & metal, such as Iron Maiden, Skid Row, Accept, Ratt.

Ok, what would be my best choice? Please answer legitlly
xxx is very versatile. how much cleans do you need? the 6505 can do basically any rock or metal.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Peavey is coming out with a combo 6505 thats supposed to be $500
It's perfect for basically everything you mentioned
if it turns out to be more
you could get a used 6505 or 5150 combo for 700 easy
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by tatatotfolife
Peavey Valveking half stack sounds really nice

looks really nice.
don't get VK for metal, trust me.

Buy the 6505+ 1x12 combo coming out in a couple of weeks. $550 and the 6505+ is the amp that a lot of metal core bands actually use for shows.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by ShredGod George
Peavey is coming out with a combo 6505 thats supposed to be $500
It's perfect for basically everything you mentioned
if it turns out to be more
you could get a used 6505 or 5150 combo for 700 easy

This. It would be better than the Valveking half-stack.
The only thing is that you'd have to wait for the 1X12 combo.
the used combos are 2X12's.
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
Quote by DaddyBarbs
don't get VK for metal, trust me.

Buy the 6505+ 1x12 combo coming out in a couple of weeks. $550 and the 6505+ is the amp that a lot of metal core bands actually use for shows.

whats wrong with the Vk for metal? i was planning on getting one, i play mostly metal, not a good tone or what?
Quote by FalseXHope
looks really nice.

here we go:
1. valvekings barely do metal on their own
2. their only good modded
3. a 6505 would slay it, period.

if i were you, i'd wait and get the Peavey 6505 1x12 when it comes out, whenever that is. Or if you want the 2x12 than get that. The 6505 is pretty much the best option out there at that price, and is also pretty dam good.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Levi79
whats wrong with the Vk for metal? i was planning on getting one, i play mostly metal, not a good tone or what?

yeah its a myth that their made for metal i think. When i played it, it didn't do metal all too well. I'd look at a 6505 also if I were you.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by flamedragon88
Randall

an RG50TC might work as well.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
You can get a Randall RX120RH halfstack for $560 at musiciansfriend.com
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by Levi79
Depends on the type of metal you're going for. They don't do the really tight heavy metal distortion very well, but if you throw an OD pedal in front, you can do thrash metal and such pretty easily. They're just not very high gain. I'd look for a used 6505 or 5150 if metal is what you're going for though.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Last edited by Ferrets! at Mar 10, 2009,
holy ****, i know it's off topic, but wow. I was bored and wanted to lok p cheap signature models of guitarists such as Mick Thompson, David Gilmour, and holy ****. Herman Li of Dragonforce, his guitar is like $2,500.00. Wow didnt expect that. Thought maybe a grand at the most.
Quote by FalseXHope
holy ****, i know it's off topic, but wow. I was bored and wanted to lok p cheap signature models of guitarists such as Mick Thompson, David Gilmour, and holy ****. Herman Li of Dragonforce, his guitar is like $2,500.00. Wow didnt expect that. Thought maybe a grand at the most.

Its not surprising its basically a Prestige (which are high dollar from the get go) with a ton of upgrades then slap on the one of a kind scalloped horn and his name on it and there ya go...
i've been planning on getting the peavey valveking 112 (with od pedal), but i've never heard about this new combo 6505. would you guys really recommend that over VK?
Quote by cloud041089
i've been planning on getting the peavey valveking 112 (with od pedal), but i've never heard about this new combo 6505. would you guys really recommend that over VK?

Yes without a doubt.....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes without a doubt.....

i'll have to think about this then. i dont see how people can say the VK's arent good for metal though. maybe it's not made for metal.. but from the little i've heard on youtube its got metal down pretty good. this guy's using a 212 totally stock in this video. before he got his tubescreamer. you can also check out his band "through the abyss."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274
The thing is, the Valveking CAN do metal (esp. with the right guitar) - it's simply that its extremely dark voicing makes things sound muddy and unfocused, rather than 'bright and tight', and right now there are better options (new and used) than the VK, especially with a $700 budget.

OP, here are some options:

1. B-52 AT-112 or 212 or AT-100 + cab
2. Mesa F-30 or F-50 or DC-3 or DC-5
3. Ampeg VH140c
4. Crate GX130
5. Randall RG50TC

There are also Bugera amps (Peavey clones) such as the 6262, 6260, 333 or 333XL, but they're known to be fairly unreliable amps. If you get one, be sure to have an amp technician give them a good look-over before you play it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Peavey XXX
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by cloud041089
i'll have to think about this then. i dont see how people can say the VK's arent good for metal though. maybe it's not made for metal.. but from the little i've heard on youtube its got metal down pretty good. this guy's using a 212 totally stock in this video. before he got his tubescreamer. you can also check out his band "through the abyss."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274

Its easy... The amp is not voiced for clean tight metal. That video more then proves that. It mud's up once the gain is cranked, also the main source of its gain is a diode clipping circuit something that you find in distortion pedals. Plus I was one of the guys that found half the tip and tricks for the amp to get it into the metal realm and know just how many upgrades it takes to even get it there and make it sound reasonably good. The amp is a fun amp and even though I wanted to throw it through the window a few times I enjoyed trying everything thing in my power to get it to a high gain amp status. But its just not a 6505 or Triple its voiced flat, dark and its a very harsh and muddy amp with a ton of quirks.

To even get it to a really decent tone you have too....
Replace the speaker
Replace the tubes
Run an od pedal infront of the amp
Throw and Eq in the loop
Turn off the Gain button
Run a dummy jack in the extra input
Run some hot pickups through it
And know all the quirks with the on board eq

And even then after all that money spent, some guy with a stock 5150 on old ragged tubes will come in and blow that amp out of the water.

I should know I owned most of the amps in question and have been there and done that....

Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its easy... The amp is not voiced for clean tight metal. That video more then proves that. It mud's up once the gain is cranked, also the main source of its gain is a diode clipping circuit something that you find in distortion pedals. Plus I was one of the guys that found half the tip and tricks for the amp to get it into the metal realm and know just how many upgrades it takes to even get it there and make it sound reasonably good. The amp is a fun amp and even though I wanted to throw it through the window a few times I enjoyed trying everything thing in my power to get it to a high gain amp status. But its just not a 6505 or Triple its voiced flat, dark and its a very harsh and muddy amp with a ton of quirks.

To even get it to a really decent tone you have too....

(do a bunch of stuff that involves the money you could have spent on a better amp to begin with)
]

I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
i guess i see what you mean now. i'm still stuck with my 15 watt jumpstart ibanez, so yeah. something like the VK would sound godly to me.
TS - the 6505+ 112 may be your best bet with a budget of $700.

I did a quick search for you though and found these - for comparison purposes. I own a VK too and wish the new 6505 combo was out when I was shopping.

5150 $600 (needs cab)
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1051482740.html

XXX $700 (needs cab)
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1048897859.html

Laney AOR 50 $375 (needs cab)
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1047439606.html

Mesa Boogie F50 combo $475
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1040239963.html

Mesa Boogie Mark III $700 (needs cab)
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1037049266.html

point being, keep your eyes on craigslist
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 11, 2009,
line 6 spider amp combos are nice, just go to your local music store and check a few different ones out, with 700 you should be about to get a decent stack.
Quote by ptp09
line 6 spider amp combos are nice, just go to your local music store and check a few different ones out, with 700 you should be about to get a decent stack.

That is a singularly bad idea, sir.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The 5150/6505s sound way better for metal when they're turned up, just to let ya know. But if you want any amp for metal, you want the 5150/6505.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150