Hey UG,
I was on Traben's website, looking for a new bass, when I came across this gigantic poster on their website talking about how the the tribal bridge, because its bigger, has a Bigger tone. Curious as hell, I click on the poster, and it gives me the minimalist info possible....

Anyway, Bassists, Is is possible to get a bigger tone?? Those two words together total confuse me. And what does Traben mean by this?

I thought tone was a thing that couldn't be big or small, so i'm balls confused...

thanks,
smoots
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Well Traben like to talk out of their ass, and be incredibly vague in backing it up.
Theres a very nice video on youtube demonstrating their 'bigger bridge better tone', that offers no real answers as to why. Just take their word for it :L

And I wouldn't know exactly what a 'bigger' tone sounds like, but everything on a bass effects it... literally everything.
hmmm.... I doubt that the width of the bridge makes a difference in tone, its porbably just an advertising thing
The word 'tone' is subjective. Its made up of a number of things. A bigger bridge has better sustain I think, which contributes towards tonal characteristics.
signature
Quote by SnooBag101
hmmm.... I doubt that the width of the bridge makes a difference in tone, its porbably just an advertising thing

It would be to do with how stablely (is that a word?) the bridge is fixed to the body. So more bridge means more surface area to screw into it.
well i play a traben array limited 5 string and i love it, i would go through hell to get another one if the one i have was stolen or broken. and the bigger bridge = bigger tone is just kind of worded wrong. the bridge covers more of the body so it is more stable, this makes the sustain go a hell of a lot longer than on some other basses. personally i would say traben all the way its an amazing deal for pretty decent prices. but i wouldnt jump strait to it i have allot of people i know that preffer schecters and i have played them they are really good to. hope you find a bass you like =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFNPQ6-EUA

That's not supposed to show how awesome it is. It's to show how Traben should be shot dead.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^I suspect shenanigans is present on that video.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by thefitz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFNPQ6-EUA

That's not supposed to show how awesome it is. It's to show how Traben should be shot dead.

louder volume ftw?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
to me it's not the physical space the bridge covers it's more the density, my yamaha's bridge produces so much sustain because the bridge is over an inch thick under the strings, which is very handy on fretless where the notes do not sustain as well
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
did anybody else laugh at the stupidity of the video ?

dumbass : this is the standard, *sneakily plays over bridge pickup*
now this is the one with the big ass bridge *plays in between both*
Look at the difference !!! its the bridge i tell yah!!!!
Quote by Bullet-Rule
The word 'tone' is subjective. Its made up of a number of things. A bigger bridge has better sustain I think, which contributes towards tonal characteristics.

That. The giant mass of brass(not steel) that it the "bigger bridge" does indeed provide better tonal characteristics than the average Fender style one. How drastic the change is, however, is a matter of debate.

I will say that overall I've found Traben basses to be very good sounding, more so than many other basses in their price range.

Video was balls though, I agree.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 10, 2009,
Adding a bigger bridge won't pretty much affect your tone in any way. People swap bridges (especially fender ones) because they're of poor quality and if you tweak your bass couple of times, it will give up on you. It's either gonna get de-threaded (on of the saddle screws, i mean), оr just literally fall apart, like when I was restringing a borrowed American Jazz it lost the saddle on the G string.
Quote by Bassilo
Adding a bigger bridge won't pretty much affect your tone in any way. People swap bridges (especially fender ones) because they're of poor quality and if you tweak your bass couple of times, it will give up on you. It's either gonna get de-threaded (on of the saddle screws, i mean), оr just literally fall apart, like when I was restringing a borrowed American Jazz it lost the saddle on the G string.

listen to this guy, better bridges clearly don't add better sustain what so ever.
I think there is some merit to the bigger bridge, better tone theory. Going from the stock Fender bridge to the BadAss II, I noticed significant improvment. Notes were much clearer, and sustain was greatly improved.

I think it really depends on what way the bridge is "bigger". A gaint, stamped flamey looking bridge that covers the entire body can't have that much of an effect.

My BadAss which is probably three-time the weight of the stock bridge, and the area is the string is touching is larger. I think sounds better.
I can see how it works out with the bridge having more contact with the wood and all, but really thats just balls to me. Not saying that it means nothing, but I wouldn' t buy a bass ont that one characteristic. I love Trabens alot and I would be willing to purchase one, but not just becaus eit has a bigger bridge.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I think the idea of it is to help transfer the vibrations to different parts of the body, not to add more mass...hence the brass construction.
Nope, no sig here.
What is a 'bigger' tone anyway?

Fluffy tone?
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Is it just me or since when did tone become something measured in size.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Reminds me of Spinal Tap;
'Listen to the sustain'
'I can't hear anything'
'Well you would, if it were playing'
Yeah, something I said once was epic, I have proof:
Quote by bowdyyz69
aha that was epic

Also:
Quote by Kensai
Yeah I was hoping for robotsex.
Screw context.
i thought density mattered more
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I can't really follow the logic of using basswood for the bodies but trying to beef up the tone with a big bridge.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I can't really follow the logic of using basswood for the bodies but trying to beef up the tone with a big bridge.

I indeed agree, their advertising should be fired.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom