Page 1 of 2
Right, enough of people taking bad advice. If anybody knows somebody knows their ****, or has had decent advice then please mention their username here.

And vice-versa. If you received bollocks information from anyone please name and shame them.

I'm fed up of new kids on the block getting terrible advice and buying useless kit because another completely knowledge-less user tells them bad info.

Who to listen to:

fridge_raider
axemanchris
doommaker
maggot9779
Moody07747
Mr. Pillow
TheDriller
Bill43
Fast_Fingers

Who not to listen to:

timbit2006
TSMusic
Kid_Thorazine
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Mar 12, 2009,
Mr. Pillow.
Moody07747

Thanks for the props, Willie. You should probably be on there.

I'll second Driller too....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 10, 2009,
moody is pretty good around these parts.

I'd like to think i'm pretty helpful too

edit, There are some people with pretty poor advice but I don't usually pay attention to them since they dick around and act like this is the Pit.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Mar 10, 2009,
Please don't do this to R&R..... the other forum has one and its stupid, you shouldn't need a list to validate your information. Is it really that hard to just ignore stupid posts?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
Please don't do this to R&R..... the other forum has one and its stupid, you shouldn't need a list to validate your information. Is it really that hard to just ignore stupid posts?

I'm gonna have to go with this, most people either never read these, or take them to seriously and only listen to people on the list whether or not other people give good advice (also if the people on the list give bad advice some people automatically go with it even though better advice has been posted)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^yeah, I know what you mean, the list definitely shouldn't be taken too seriously. Usually, you can see what the good advice is, because it's validated by several people posting intelligent posts with similar advice.
There is poetry in despair.
I'm not saying don't take advice from anyone else, but I have definitely seen people buy bad products because someone who doesn't know what they're talking about recommended it to them.

Maybe a "These are the products to buy" thread would be a good one?

Edit: Can't believe I forgot driller!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Mar 11, 2009,
I'm not disputing the list idea per se, I'm just agreeing with the fact that some people get the wrong impression i.e. think the people on the list are all knowing, and don't listen to anyone else.

I know what you mean though, but to be fair, people shouldn't rush into buying something simply because one person recommends. What might be nice is an entry level gear thread, one a bit more up to date than the FAQ and the gear review thread. We could list good, reliable options for beginner gear and a short review, basic setups for certain budgets etc.
^true.

Perhaps this could be a list of people to PM if you need specific help with something?
Also, a huge list of good gear would be a really great idea, however, have fun putting that togeather and having reviews/personal experience to back up your claims.

ehh.
-Ryan
"Who to pay attention to/ignore in Riffs & Recordings!"

I would say that this thread would be what to ignore. There's bad advice going around (the guy recording room ambience for his vocal tracking for one) but that's part of the recording experience. If you buy something based on what a faceless typist on an internet forum tells you then you deserve what you get.

And now I'll never get on that list...
I think this thread is complete bull****. I also think I am one of the instigators of this thread because willieturnip the Mucker Puncher was geting mad because I didn't post a six line warning that what I say is not always true and my opinion only...

I'm going with occub, Kid_Thoraizne and ebon00. This thread is complete BULL****. It is very discremental to people who just want to voice there opinions, be heard, and try to help.
..I was watching my death.
This is a bit of a silly thread. If someone has a problem, then anyone's attempted help is better than none. If the "help" is just plain stupid, like saying "delete system32, it'll solve all your problems", then the person asking for help should be smart enough to pay attention. Besides, I thought all the people who are mature as that didn't venture out of the pit.

Also, the people on the helpful list (although I agree, they're great contributers) can't know everything, so someone who has a very specific problem might need help from someone with a very specific area of expertise.
I really like the idea, but as usual the only people who'll look at it will be guys who don't need to.
Plus the idea of a 'who to listen list' always seems strange to me, doesn't it undermine the whole purpose of a forum? You might as well go on 'asktheexperts.com, or whatever.

Every forum is the same, you get a lot of clueless kids regurgitating the same misinformation they've picked up elsewhere, and it gets harder to pick out the guys who know their stuff.

Definitely worth a try Willieturnip, but i reckon the people who ignore it will inevitably be the people who most needed to read it....
Quote by timbit2006
I think this thread is complete bull****. I also think I am one of the instigators of this thread because willieturnip the Mucker Puncher was geting mad because I didn't post a six line warning that what I say is not always true and my opinion only...

I'm going with occub, Kid_Thoraizne and ebon00. This thread is complete BULL****. It is very discremental to people who just want to voice there opinions, be heard, and try to help.

Calm down, gosh!

Quote by ebon00
If you buy something based on what a faceless typist on an internet forum tells you then you deserve what you get.

And if you don't know anything about recording gear, how else are you going to get the information? A lot of people come here without a clue on what to buy, and people from this forum share their knowledge and they end up with some great gear for their needs and budget.
Would you mind putting me on the not listening to list? I don't want to be heard...
Quote by timbit2006
Would you mind putting me on the not listening to list? I don't want to be heard...

It would be my pleasure. I don't want you to be heard either.

Quote by fridge_raider
i.e. think the people on the list are all knowing, and don't listen to anyone else.

I'm not saying don't listen to anyone else, but the people on the list. I have never seen any of them give anything other that spot on advice.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm so happy to be on the "Do Not Listen To" list. Made my ****ing day. Really, No Joke!

Thank you to those people that are on the "Do Not Listen To List" with me.

willieturnip, I think you should be on that list with me. Do not listen to this thread, or the people in it for that matter.

The I Have To Much Of an Ego And I Declare My Self as a Recording God List
willieturnip

There would be a lot more on that list, but I don't mean to start miniature UG wars with them.
Thats exactly not what I'm saying, or ever say.

But now you mention it I am pretty ****ing good..

See new thread here .
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Thats exactly not what I'm saying, or ever say.

Your kinda contradicting yourself there...
A list of people I truly trust when it comes to getting information here at UG:

Bill43
axemanchris
fridge_raider
Fast_Fingers
doommaker

It's been a while since I've logged in and looked over the forums.....time to catch up lol
That is a WAY Better list moody07747. It isn't completly canceling out what others have to say. A trust list is a somewhat decent idea.
Quote by timbit2006
Your kinda contradicting yourself there...

No, I'm not at all.

Quote by moody07747
A list of people I truly trust when it comes to getting information here at UG:

Bill43
axemanchris
fridge_raider
Fast_Fingers
doommaker

It's been a while since I've logged in and looked over the forums.....time to catch up lol

Cheers mate.

Quote by timbit2006
That is a WAY Better list moody07747. It isn't completly canceling out what others have to say. A trust list is a somewhat decent idea.

Sorry I didn't title the thread perfectly.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
putting me on your do not listen too list after proving you wrong twice? way to go jackass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
putting me on your do not listen too list after proving you wrong twice? way to go jackass.

Yes! Your right! Of course!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I was wondering why he put you on the "Don't Listen To" list. Personally, I think you help me alot, and a whole bunch of other people. You've helped me the most out of anyone in this whole R&R forum. I don't mean like supporting my side in this thread(Athough it is nice) but like all-in-all you've helped me with my very dumb and nooby questions, and the hard to figure out ones, and the normal ones to.

I'd like to take a moment to thank Kid_Thorazine for all your help and all the trouble you went through to help me.
Quote by timbit2006
I was wondering why he put you on the "Don't Listen To" list. Personally, I think you help me alot, and a whole bunch of other people. You've helped me the most out of anyone in this whole R&R forum. I don't mean like supporting my side in this thread(Athough it is nice) but like all-in-all you've helped me with my very dumb and nooby questions, and the hard to figure out ones, and the normal ones to.

I'd like to take a moment to thank Kid_Thorazine for all your help and all the trouble you went through to help me.

I'd like to take a moment to say **** the both of you!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
This is going way too far fellas, god! Calm down, there's no need for everyone to go crazy over a simple suggestion.
I believe this has already been resolved in willieturnips
The I Have To Much Of an Ego And I Declare My Self as a Recording God List
thread. Read it and find out how it ended.
Quote by slash-120
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous and now requires mod intervention.

Bring 'em on. I reckon i could take Paul Weller and he's the king of mods.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by slash-120
At least we got slightly funny response there I'll give you that.

Haha. It's all been funny, to me at least. I've been laughing my tits off.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Don't worry mods! This is more for fun than a real fight I hope...
No I'm deadly serious. Going to kill you in your sleep and everything..
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Gah. No. I can't even afford the £40 ticket to germany to sign my endorsement.

Epic fail.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
KICKASS! Fight Fight Fight!
Fight!
Fight!
Fight!
Fight!
Fight!
Fight!
Fight!

so, whos the mods around here anyways? I think someone should make a thread called

The Official List of UG Mods
Page 1 of 2