I've been looking at the B-52 AT-112, it seems like the perfect amp for me. I'm currently using a very low end peavey SS combo, so this would be an enormous upgrade. The problem is the amp is 60 Watts...

I'll only be needing the amp for bedroom volume, and MAYBE the occasional small gig. Is it simply too much wattage to be of use at low volumes?
No, it will still sound fine. It just won't sound quite as good as when it's cranked. Granted, it can get pretty loud but it's not going to magically suck at low volume levels.
It'll be fine. It'll just sound better cranked. I can only see it being an issue if you're in an apartment with neighbors or something, because then you'd probably have to turn it way down.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Yes, 60 Watts is WAY overkill for bedroom playing. the most you're going to need is maybe a 30 watt combo.

I'd go with a Fender Blues Jr or Pro Jr, and a good overdrive. the Pro Jr and Blues Jr are 15 watt amps, but they go a fair bit louder when cranked, so they would be usable for small gigs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I probably should have stated that I play mostly high gain music. Otherwise, I would have opted to get a 5 watt tube amp, but I don't think I can beat the bang for the buck that the B-52 gives me.

If I have my information correct, then I will most likely have to keep the volume at 1.
Quote by Jhachey22
Yes, 60 Watts is WAY overkill for bedroom playing. the most you're going to need is maybe a 30 watt combo.

I'd go with a Fender Blues Jr or Pro Jr, and a good overdrive. the Pro Jr and Blues Jr are 15 watt amps, but they go a fair bit louder when cranked, so they would be usable for small gigs.

THIS. I have an 18 watt tube amp and you really cant get over 3-4 on volume in an apartment/dorm...you could just rely on preamp effects from pedals which is basically what I do. Or you could get an attenuator to let you get gain at lower volumes...search weber attenuators, i may get one myself

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Depends what you're playing. I thought they sounded pretty good at low volumes. Nice amp if you're playing metal/hard rock or the like or you need a fairly versatile amp on the cheap.

^^^Those are overkill too, you won't get the master past 3-4 on those amps before the rents are yellin for you to turn it down.

Edit: B-52 is definitely a good choice, I don't know if you can do much better for the price.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Depends what you're playing. I thought they sounded pretty good at low volumes. Nice amp if you're playing metal/hard rock or the like or you need a fairly versatile amp on the cheap.

^^^Those are overkill too, you won't get the master past 3-4 on those amps before the rents are yellin for you to turn it down.

Edit: B-52 is definitely a good choice, I don't know if you can do much better for the price.

+1

And to add... Even a cranked Killer Ant is to loud for bedroom use. Just deal with it, demo the amp and if you like it buy it end of story.