Hi. I want to know how different people play. Take a solo you play - do you play it EXACTLY the same way every time? I'm not talking about the fretting hand. I want to know who plays every upstroke and downstroke exactly the same each time they play a particular piece. Or do most people not worry about it - as long as it's played properly, who cares whether certain notes are played up or down?

Cheers.
nope, can't say I do. When I play whatever comes out is what inspired me at that moment
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I always do the same thing with the picking hand each time, its really not a good idea to change it up. Provided you are doing alternate picking over economy after each downstroke should come an upstroke, then another down etc etc. Unless of course you are doing an extremely slow passage and intend to emphasise certain notes with a strong downpick/harmonic, in which case you should decide which notes you want to emphasise and stick with it or it could lead to confusion.
Quote by JLT73
nope, can't say I do. When I play whatever comes out is what inspired me at that moment

+1

and nice pedals JLT73
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by ChrissyChiChi
I always do the same thing with the picking hand each time, its really not a good idea to change it up. Provided you are doing alternate picking over economy after each downstroke should come an upstroke, then another down etc etc. Unless of course you are doing an extremely slow passage and intend to emphasise certain notes with a strong downpick/harmonic, in which case you should decide which notes you want to emphasise and stick with it or it could lead to confusion.

So for each solo you play, you know how you play every individual note? (up/down etc?)
My hand follows nearly the same exact pattern whenever I play something, unless it's improvised.
Depends. On some solo's like NIB, much of it is exactly the same, but when it gets to the part where he plays over himself on a recording, I play it a little different every time.

For everything else, its usually pretty close to consistent.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by JLT73

+1 there.
ಠ_ಠ
I touch strings and hit them. The wood picks it up. It's always random, I barely ever follow a solo written out.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7