I haven't been playing long, and while I love my current guitar(Ibanez GRX20L ), I learned alot with this one and learned what I want in my next one. Criteria are as follows:

24, Jumbo Frets
Fixed Bridge
Solid Body
Preferably a "normal" bodystyle, not like a V, something comfortable to sit down and play
Preferably $600 or less

It naturally must have a dual cutaway, to be accessible if its strung backwards.

Being left handed, my options are fairly limited. The most comfortable right handed guitar I've actually been able to hold was a right handed SG, however a Gibson is quite a bit over my prefered price, and I'm concerned with the quality of an Epiphone. I'm posting this thread in an attempt to view my options for my further purchases. Any input is appreciated, thanks for your help.
From a fellow lefty, I suggest a left-handed guitar.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Just trying to see what other options I have, I am unsatisfied with the left handed guitar options.
Last edited by Voldar at Mar 10, 2009,
the epiphone G-400 is a nice guitar and would be worth checking out. in that price range you can get a really nice axe if you try before you buy and make sure theres nothing wrong with it. i bet you if you got 10 g-400s and 10 sg standards you could probably find one epiphone out of the bunch that would play as good as half the gibsons. its just that the others in the cheap group would be average and possibly one or two terrible ones where the worst gibson wouldnt be much worse than the best gibson. you can find a great guitar if you try out many and know what youre looking for. i wouldnt recommend getting a right handed guitar unless absolutely necessary even if the lefty is a little more money because after you pay somebody to flip the nut and reset the intonation (assuming youre lucky enough to get a bridge that has enough adjustment range to get intoned right when backwards) you end up breaking even.
edit - also from a fellow leftie (who was lucky enough to start learning the guitar right handed) i feel your pain every time i use the#keys or have to adjust my car stereo and good luck to you sir
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Mar 10, 2009,
I can flip the nut myself, but I wasn't aware of any other adjustments that needed to be made, I'm still new to this and ignorant =P. The only guitars I've flipped around are acoustics(Got an acoustic for $5, I wasn't gonna be picky).

I tried to learn to play right handed for a while, figured it would be easier to have my dominant hand on the frets. I could not for the life of me do it, got 1000x easier when I played another friend's left handed guitar.

Because of the general input I'm getting from you lovely, incredibly quick people...
Is there any solid lefty guitar that fits my preferences? I know my right handed friend is in love with his Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, which they happen to to make in left handed which fits my specs pretty close.
Last edited by Voldar at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by bucketheadbukut
im lefty, but i play guitar with my right hand

Yeah same here, I don't mind playing regular right hand guitars, gives you a lot more options for guitars and they're cheaper than lefty guitars.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
I recommend getting a schecter you can get a decent one for your price range. plus you save money on getting a righty and having to switch out the nut.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
the schecter is very nice if you dont mind sacrificing traditional clean sounds because of the high output pickups (not that you cant get clean sounds but i dont like the sound of high outputs clean personally) but would be great for metal or rock with a decent amount of distortion and a guitar that nice and expensive is worth upgrading pickups anyway if you like it.

one thing about those extra jumbo or even jumbo frets on guitars you might like, if youve learned on an acoustic so far you might drive yourself crazy learning the feel for playing on guitars where the fret crown is high up off of the fingerbaord because if you squeeze to hard you will sharp individual notes and especially chords much easier than on an acoustic or even medium/medium jumbo fretted guitars. ive never had a lot of experience with big tall frets but every time i tried one i was sharping the chords like crazy because of how much more you can push the strings down after the note acutally becomes fretted before the fingerboard stops you.

fender and epiphone/gibson have most of their products available in left hand models for close to the same price. like i said before you have to try before you buy if you want to make sure you get a good guitar so just go to every guitar shop you can and try out as many guitars as you can till you find the "one". and if youre new to electric guitar (im assuming because of the only flipped acoustics comment) you might not yet even know what you want just yet. just be open minded and very careful about what you spend your money on and youll get the best you can get from what you know about what you like. and even if you dont get "the one" at first you will learn a lot about what you like and dont like. tastes change, just keep an open mind and buy on sound and feel only and you will do all right.

one other thing just in case you are just starting into the world of electric, cheaping out on an amp will hurt you just as bad as cheaping out on a guitar unless youre playing unplugged.

edit - dont forget that you cant change where the knobs are (without serious work anyway) if you think about going with a flipped righty. personally where the knobs and switchis is right where my picking arm or wrist or both go on about every guitar design ive ever seen (assuming it was a flipped lefty for me to play right handed) not to mention ease of adjustment on the fly.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Mar 10, 2009,
I'm just starting out period, only been playing about 4-5 months. I generally play unplugged, but when I use my amp, its a 20 watt Raven.

I didn't get my acoustic until a month ago, so I'm used to the electric. My electric is legitimately left handed, so I didnt have to flip anything.
anything symmetrical, or strat like
but really just get a lefty much easier
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
my dad plays left handed, but uses right handed guitars.. he's always said it isn't as hard as it seems, you might give it a try, but i would understand if you wanted higher fret access
signed,
your favorite poster
Schecter make left handed versions of almost all of their guitars. I have a left handed Omen Extreme and I am very happy with it.
I have a Schecter Omen 6 in a lefty and I really love it other than being a tad heavy
I say go with whats most comfortable

Being comfortable is key in playing guitar
Prog flavored juice ... You tried it yet?

Shameless plot to promote zee band.
Shed 31
Thank you so much for all of your responses, I will definately look harder for a left handed guitar, probably a schecter.
Take a look at some Agiles on Rondo.com. They've got a pretty wide selection of lefties and the guitars are, bar none, the best bang for your buck in that price range.
Quote by Pac_man0123
In my experience, many guitars come left handed but the store won't stock them or won't tell you. I'd suggest asking if they have one in the storage room or if they can order one for you.

i wouldn't say many. And what stores wont tell you about lefty versions? In my expierence they are physced for the prospective sale most likely at a higher cost since its lefty.
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
You could never go wrong with a strat or something!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
God, it must suck to be left-handed...
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by Krzy8
i wouldn't say many. And what stores wont tell you about lefty versions? In my expierence they are physced for the prospective sale most likely at a higher cost since its lefty.

I see a fair number of guitars that have a left-handed option. And i would guess that most salesmen won't be like "oh here's a list of all guitars that come left-handed."

And honestly, most left handed guitars don't have much-if any, price difference. Max i'd say is $50 more.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I see a fair number of guitars that have a left-handed option. And i would guess that most salesmen won't be like "oh here's a list of all guitars that come left-handed."

And honestly, most left handed guitars don't have much-if any, price difference. Max i'd say is $50 more.

yeah not many guitars have that option, name any ibanez save 3 no left handed option. We get 4 jacksons.

Like cruddy deans.

Salesmen if you ask them will tell you.

really only fifty dollars? I asked a company if they made lefty models and i was told $120 for lefty, ESP makes you pay as well, nearly any custom shop qoute raises significantly if your a lefty. its a myth about only $50 dollars
Guitars-LEFTY
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Cube 15
Misc.
Quote by Pac_man0123
In my experience, many guitars come left handed but the store won't stock them or won't tell you. I'd suggest asking if they have one in the storage room or if they can order one for you.

Yeah, I see that a lot around here.
Lefty here as well but I haven't got any experience with electric guitars.
I'm getting a lefty from a mate soon but it's a budget model (Ibanez GRG 170 DX) so I'm sure you can find something better.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.