This is completely random, but hey it's the pit.

I've been listening to a lot of ambient/big beat artists such as Crystal Method, Massive Attack, and Aphex Twin. I was wondering how I could attempt to create my own electronic music, but I don't have much technical experience with any of the seemingly complicated beat-making programs.

I have a pretty beastly computer if that helps.
I'd suggest Fruity Loops. It's a pretty simple program to somewhat ease you into it.
if your good from your mouth

beat box...?
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Well, you must first understand the principles of "dnn-tsh-dnn-tsh-dnn-tsh"-ism.

Do you?
half the people in this thread appear to be idiots.

There's tones of software out there, from really basic (bet very expandable) stuff like FL Studio to complex graphical programming stuff like Max/MSP. I would suggest starting out with either FLStudio or Reason. Reason sounds better out of the box, bu FL can use VST plugins so you have a lot more options when it comes to synths and effects.

Quote by crazy8rgood
Well, you must first understand the principles of "dnn-tsh-dnn-tsh-dnn-tsh"-ism.

Do you?

you do realize that that sort of thing is a distinct minority that most electronic musicians regard as crap right?

Also to the TS, I have a lot of electronic stuff on my profile that was mostly done in FL (albeit with tones of third party plugins and samples) if you need an idea of its capabilities
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 10, 2009,
I'm actually working on an electronic project right now using Reaktor 5 and Fruity Loops. Reaktor is great but expensive and can be difficult to understand, but it has tons of capabilities.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
half the people in this thread appear to be idiots.

There's tones of software out there, from really basic (bet very expandable) stuff like FL Studio to complex graphical programming stuff like Max/MSP. I would suggest starting out with either FLStudio or Reason. Reason sounds better out of the box, bu FL can use VST plugins so you have a lot more options when it comes to synths and effects.

This. Also, having a midi controller helps. The Yamaha PCR series isn't bad for the price.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
I use Fruity Loops 8. You can download a free demo that has every single function of the 400$ version, only you can't save. However you can torrent a crack and it works perfectly for me.

I've been experimenting with it for 3 years now and I haven't even gotten close to hearing all the sounds it has...
Quote by SRX700
This. Also, having a midi controller helps. The Yamaha PCR series isn't bad for the price.

yeah it does, but it's not really needed in FL because of it's advanced piano roll stuff, although that can get pretty tedious.

Quote by Thundering_Dove
I use Fruity Loops 8. You can download a free demo that has every single function of the 400$ version, only you can't save. However you can torrent a crack and it works perfectly for me.

I've been experimenting with it for 3 years now and I haven't even gotten close to hearing all the sounds it has...

Honestly, most of the synths it comes with are really sub par (exceptions being Sytrus and Toxic) same with the included sample sets, you can easily do a lot better.

Last.fm
This reminds me of that Teegman thread where he told us that all music should be electronic because acoustic music is inaccurate.
I'm pretty much looking for an extremely basic program, I've tried Fruityloops before but it was way too complex, which seems silly since I keep hearing it's one of the easiest.
Quote by TJM2482
I'm pretty much looking for an extremely basic program, I've tried Fruityloops before but it was way too complex, which seems silly since I keep hearing it's one of the easiest.

it really is, I don't know how you could get more basic than that with any sort of creative functionality.

Last.fm
you're in luck, I have a lot of experience making electronic music I use FL Studio, which I think is a good program to use for any level, beginner to expert. It comes with a lot of built in effects and synths so you can basically use everything within the program to make whatever you want, though I recommend if you get serious about it to look into 3rd party synthesizers. Here's a link to FL Studio's website, you can dl a free demo of the program in which you can use everything, but you can't save stuff.

and if you ever get stuck with anything, my advice is to check youtube, people have tutorial vids all over the place for almost anything
Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

Last.fm Page
I have two (imo not bad) songs that were made in fruity loops on my profile with the most basic of settings, one is 8bittechno, the other smoothcruise. if you have any questions as to how they were made, what settings etc. I used I'd be glad to answer.
Quote by TJM2482

Hey, (this is not really to you, but answer if you can) would this Fruity Loops thing be good for making Industrial, NIN-esque stuff, if used right?
Quote by crazy8rgood
Hey, (this is not really to you, but answer if you can) would this Fruity Loops thing be good for making Industrial, NIN-esque stuff, if used right?

that's what I use it for most of the time...

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's what I use it for most of the time...

Is that what that "Dance to this, asshole" song of yours is made with? Because if it is, I'm totally getting that.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Is that what that "Dance to this, asshole" song of yours is made with? Because if it is, I'm totally getting that.

yeah, and for the sounds I'm pretty sure I used ScannedSynth and MHC Industrial Tones, which are both excellent 3rd party plugins.

EDIT: and Arturia Moog Modular V for the lead sound, which is amazing, but pretty difficult to use.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, and for the sounds I'm pretty sure I used ScannedSynth and MHC Industrial Tones, which are both excellent 3rd party plugins.

EDIT: and Arturia Moog Modular V for the lead sound, which is amazing, but pretty difficult to use.

Downloading it as we speak, gonna try this **** out.

Thanks
you know what I never understood? how so many people say that electronic music is cheating because it's made on the computer.

like making it on the computer makes it any easier, if anything I find it alot harder to get the sounds I want on the comp than with a guitar
Yeah...Playing guitar is a breeze compared to working out those programs. But really, I get what you mean. A lot of thought is put into that music.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know what I never understood? how so many people say that electronic music is cheating because it's made on the computer.

like making it on the computer makes it any easier, if anything I find it alot harder to get the sounds I want on the comp than with a guitar

well yeah, the problem is that a.) most people are only exposed to really simplistic genres like Tarnce (hehe) and "Minimal Techno" which are generally really simple and don't sound hard to make, and B) most people have never tried to make any sort of electronic music, or they only tried painting loops in Acid/Garageband, which is cheating.

Last.fm
Quote by teegman
Never truer words were spoken

Holy shit, you're still around? You must be like, the most dedicated troll ever.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well yeah, the problem is that a.) most people are only exposed to really simplistic genres like Tarnce (hehe) and "Minimal Techno" which are generally really simple and don't sound hard to make, and B) most people have never tried to make any sort of electronic music, or they only tried painting loops in Acid/Garageband, which is cheating.

you know that's like saying that 3D art is less complicated than 2D art, and that it's easier because you're using a computer, which is a bunch of bullcrap.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
Look into Ableton Live, from what I understand it's a great program.

without a decent MIDI setup that's really only good for working with premade loops IMO.

Quote by CoreysMonster
you know that's like saying that 3D art is less complicated than 2D art, and that it's easier because you're using a computer, which is a bunch of bullcrap.

Yeah, but on the other hand I can see where a lot of people are coming from, since their only exposure to electronic music is usually really simplistic repetitive stuff that really isn't that hard to make. Noone ever tells me that the stuff I do is easy to make.

Last.fm
FL Studio is pretty powerful and can handle a lot of genres (as long as you have the right VSTs). You don't need a MIDI controller (I don't have one), but they're really helpful.

I made this a while back using all free VSTs with the exception of XLN Audio's Addictive Drums.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/98201

All of these were made with FL Studio + a bunch of other plugins: http://guyperson42x.newgrounds.com/audio/

Just try it out and see if you like it.
Last edited by guyperson at Mar 10, 2009,