Now if this question has been asked before ...do spare my life...i got future wife and children to feed

ok.... Is it advisable to switch from a 6-string guitar which ive been for like 5 yrs now to a 8-string guitar, another problem is im not sure how comfy i would be with an 8-string as my country is stupid and does not have in the market yet, so i cant sample it, unless some one can tell me what is the lenght of a standard 8-string guitar's neck width or demention can be? from top string nut to the bottom string nut width ( yes 5yrs of playing and im still a noob to terminologies)

thanks guys
what exactly is the point of a 8 string
ive heard of a 7 but a 8 is completely totally and utterly pointless
Quote by satcre3

i agree
Well have you ever heard of the band after the burial? listen to their song berzerker. Both players use 8 strings and it sounds amazing.
Quote by satcre3

Same here.
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE
Most 8 strings I've seen have a 27 inch scale length, and a 55 mm nut width. But if you go to the Ultimate 7 string/ERG legion They can probably help more than me

Also it may take a few days (2-3) to get used to the neck, but once you do you'll be fine.
Last edited by DartS17 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125
not to be a dick, but why not just play bass?

Because bass is 750,000,000% different...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Ghold125 : not to worry your not
Ans: nah bro alredy have a bass player , we just want a heavier sound, so just looking at my options

satcre3 : i know there might be no point but i still want to the comfortability of playing an 8 string
Quote by DartS17
Most 8 strings I've seen have a 27 inch scale length, and a 55 mm nut width. But if you go to the Ultimate 7 string/ERG legion They can probably help more than me

Also it may take a few days (2-3) to get used to the neck, but once you do you'll be fine.

finally a positive answer thanks alot mate
Quote by hEadShoVeL
Ghold125 : not to worry your not
Ans: nah bro alredy have a bass player , we just want a heavier sound, so just looking at my options

satcre3 : i know there might be no point but i still want to the comfortability of playing an 8 string

Dont listen to what anyone else says, do what you want to do.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by ILL BisCuiT
Well have you ever heard of the band after the burial? listen to their song berzerker. Both players use 8 strings and it sounds amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRvW5L0bEk

I watched till 01:30 and they my ears bled. Each to their own I guess.?!!!?

If that guy's singing is said to be good then I'm Luciano Pavarotti in comparison.
wow, i'm gonna be positive help #2. the transfer is pretty drastic at first. I'd actually recomend that you start at a 7 string and build up. the necks are very wide. if you do make the straight jump from 6 to 8, it'll probably take you about 2 weeks to get comfortable. took me a week to be used to a 7 string and then another week for an 8, so, add the two amounts of time and there's your estimate of how much time it'll take to get used to it.
Quote by randomhero93
wow, i'm gonna be positive help #2. the transfer is pretty drastic at first. I'd actually recomend that you start at a 7 string and build up. the necks are very wide. if you do make the straight jump from 6 to 8, it'll probably take you about 2 weeks to get comfortable. took me a week to be used to a 7 string and then another week for an 8, so, add the two amounts of time and there's your estimate of how much time it'll take to get used to it.

i see, yeah would have thought as much, plus i have fairly small hands, well thanks for the feedback bro
i play a seven with a really wide neck. Once your used to them it's just a matter of finding/making music that fits it. More power to you, just please find something better than the conventional 8-string guitarist. Make some good low end solo's that build up to higher parts, once you get good. Anything except more power chords and over-repeated notes/rythms...
Quote by djk55
Same here.

Thats rather funny you say that.

Korn is one of your favorite bands, yet they tune their 7 strings down, and mud up their guitar tone to the point where it isn't clear, while an 8 string on the other hand, although lower, will remain much more audible because of the extended scale.

I'm so sick of noobs who are on the you might as well use a bass wagon. Try playing touchstyle, or extreme percussion on a 6 string guitar or 6 string bass while having a large variety of lows and highs, and retaining the standard guitar feel.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio