Page 1 of 2
Got this off another forum, pretty cool idea should make things easier...

EMG has unveiled the latest advancement in pickup technology, the solderless install. Beginning with their Pro Series pickguards and the new X-Series pickups, EMG will phase in the new components to existing products throughout 2009.

“A user friendly approach to the installation process is essential; not only for end-users but manufacturers as well.” says Rob Turner, founder and President of EMG Inc. “We have succeeded in simplifying the process of both installation and upgrading of pickups, putting the players in complete control. Now expanded to everything from pots, to input jacks, to pickups, this is the next generation of our quick-connect concept.”

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
sounds like the same thing as the robot guitar, people are getting to lazy
thank you EMG!

i love the idea of removable electronics, i wish all pickups came with a special universal clip so that you could clip into the electronics of a guitar so you can change pickups all you want.

oh well, i can always hope.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
i agree that people are getting more lazy but changin pick-ups can be a pain
so this could e very useful
OK this is a great idea actually, everyone is saying people are getting lazy. Well this imo is just pure efficiancy. Although i agree with the robot guitar being a bunch of bull****. This however can make many things easier.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I think it's cool and it will add some convenience to the whole process of pickup swaps. The only thing here is that only EMG is doing this so you'll have to stay with EMG pickups only. It needs to be standardized (which isn't going to happen).
LTD EC-500 - 18v mod
Roland Cube 30
DigiTech RP-7 Valve Guitar Preamp/Multi-Effects Processor
I wouldn't call this lazy. Not everyone is good with a soldering gun. Bad joints, dirty connections and then they wonder why it doesn't work properly. This is a great idea on EMG's part and eliminates a lot of problems and frustrations in installing pickups. Its a step forward, making things more efficient although I'm not sure I'm too thrilled about that circuit board, the more complicated things get the easier they can break down but the quick connect for the battery and output jack is a great idea...unless your guitar has a barrel jack then you're screwed anyways and will need to solder
Quote by Ghold125

lolwut

The Robot guitar tunes itself... These would be pickups you can install without soldering. I don't see the connection.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by Innovision
I think it's cool and it will add some convenience to the whole process of pickup swaps. The only thing here is that only EMG is doing this so you'll have to stay with EMG pickups only. It needs to be standardized (which isn't going to happen).

and SD actives can take advantage of EMG quick connect tech.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Ghold125

back in mah day, we had no guitar. we had an empty tissue box with a rubber band.
Quote by Krzy8
and SD actives can take advantage of EMG quick connect tech.

I don't know why anyone would want to switch though...

Anyways...

It's pretty bad when the simplest to install pickups gets simpler before everyone else. Really hope it becomes standardized.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Screw that! I wont have as much of an excuse to buy several dozen different guitars.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
By the looks of it the quick connects would work good on a strat. But trying to get those boxy connectors thru some of the holes drilled in guitars from cavity to cavity might be a little rough if not impossible in some cases. And yea it would be nice if there was to be some sort of universal system but every company would want there specialized connector system or slightly different wiring set up so you would be locked into 1 companies pickups.
Quote by Tackleberry
By the looks of it the quick connects would work good on a strat. But trying to get those boxy connectors thru some of the holes drilled in guitars from cavity to cavity might be a little rough if not impossible in some cases. And yea it would be nice if there was to be some sort of universal system but every company would want there specialized connector system or slightly different wiring set up so you would be locked into 1 companies pickups.

Very true all around.

EMG is likely to patent it. For other companies to use the pickup design, they'd probably be paying EMG a nice chunk of change.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Cool, but what's the differences in tone? It looks like a clip-in thingo, what's the chance it could fall out? Is there a lock or whatever?
its becoming a computer!!. they're invading uss!!! ruuuuuunn!!!
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by 3Dpaper
back in mah day, we had no guitar. we had an empty tissue box with a rubber band.

LOL, sick burn.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Changing pick ups, should be the easiest thing in the world.

Almost like a play and play system.

Take a les paul for instants, ...You simply pull out the existing one and push in the new ones. Then you change pick ups for each song maybe or something? lol
I think it's a great idea. I would like to see all brands use this method and keep it a standard with the same size and type of connections.

My only problem is with guitars that need holes to route wires thru the body would have to be made large enough to get the plugs thru. With a guitar like the strat where the pups and electronics are all mounted to the pick guard and the body is surface routed it works best but with an LP they would have to make the wire chase a lot larger to get the wires thru.
I honestly can't believe that this didn't happen ten years ago. Sometimes the guitar world is moving veeery slowly.
This is a very interesting idea, it would make sense that EMG would come out with a standardized connection system. However I don't believe this will catch on with the other big name pickup companies because they would have to pay EMG to use the system. Cool idea though plug and play guitars, watch out guitar techs, one less thing to get payed for!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
This is a very interesting idea, it would make sense that EMG would come out with a standardized connection system. However I don't believe this will catch on with the other big name pickup companies because they would have to pay EMG to use the system. Cool idea though plug and play guitars, watch out guitar techs, one less thing to get payed for!

Don't worry there will still be people making threads on here asking for help, plugging the connector in upside down and so on
I think EMG will find it difficult to impossible to patent an industry-standard 4-pin header and female connector. Perhaps the specific pinout or its implementation in a guitar, but to get the connector itself proprietary? Please - that'll never happen.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that the innovation known as the alligator clip solved this problem for us years ago - either that or some electrical tape or connector caps. This could've been done by any old Joe years ago, but nobody bothered to. Granted that wouldn't be as graceful of a solution but it would have worked.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
I would love to run all wires with quick-connect seperate from the pups.

imagine, a pup swap in 3 minutes or less!, no wires, no messing with the leads, no problems with wires being too short or too long.

Hope this becomes the standard on pickups.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
this has been done before, taylor made solderless pickups and mountings already for their electric guitars
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Why are people talking about this possibly being the standard for all pickups across all manufacturers? EMG didn't invent anything new here really, they just took their OWN quick connect and expanded on it. They don't intend to standardize anything within the industry besides their own products. It won't happen, it'll never happen, quit dreaming.
Why would they even want that? The first thing a company does is protect its own products, why would they allow other manufacturers to use their system with hardly a benefit to themselves? Wanna use quick connect? Use EMG's simple as that, any company in any market not just guitars would do this.
Cant say this is a good idea at all that box has limits of what can go into it, while with solder you could thorw as many switches and pots in there as you please. The idea seems practicle, but i doubt it will adopt there is too many limitations.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Ah damn.
I have yet to buy one EMG-60 for my Explorer build, and I might not get to it till it becomes solderless. Then what am I going to do with this EMG-81 that still requires solder?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Why do you think your 81 will be crap? Unless its a REALLY old 81 where there is no quick connect on the pickup itself and a wire runs out of it then its fine.
Effeciency is nothing but intelligent laziness. And this is by far one of the more intelligent ideas for guitar innovation.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
ill stick to soldering, that way grade 9 shop wouldnt be a complete and total waste(even though it pretty much was)
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
First thing that came out of my mouth was "Cool!". How's it gonna work on guitars without pickguards though?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I hope Seymour Duncan does this. Life would be way easier and I wouldn't have to pay extra money to get my pickups replaced.
I think the end game of EMG it to make it incredibly easy for companies to install their products when manufacturing a guitar. Thus more companies use them instead of other companies. Manufacturing is all about speed after all.
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
lolwut

The Robot guitar tunes itself... These would be pickups you can install without soldering. I don't see the connection.

same. <_< >_>. Well i think this is a great idea, nothing to do with being 'lazy'.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by Ghold125

You are probably the only guy who actually enjoys having to spend an hour installing EMG pickups.
Page 1 of 2