In this video... What is he doing at 0:46, 0:56, 0:59, and 1:09? Is he just palm muting the lower strings while sweeping down to the note?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LotiAcF1w

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
i think he was just 'raking' across muted strings for a percussive effect.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Colton165
i think he was just 'raking' across muted strings for a percussive effect.

right, but I cant tell if hes muting the strings by his right hand with palm muting, or with his fretting hand.

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
i think hes muting with fretting hang... if not both
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Colton165
i think hes muting with fretting hang... if not both

yeah hes just muting with his picking hand.
i think
yeah
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
What effects is he using heree? love the screams he gets from his bends. Is this more of a crunchy setting on an amplifier? With wah and reverb or something?

Oh and what sort of fingering shuld one use for the fast bit about halfway through...? Hes on the high e string and hes playing the root, then the third, then fifth, then back down and then the 6th i think. Then he moves it up a string.
Last edited by Watterboy at Mar 11, 2009,
he get's the screams, by slightly adding the harmonic overtone (a semi harmonic or a "half pinch harmonic"). This adds the note + it's octave resulting in a fatter bend, having the body of the lower octave, but the scream of the higher octave.

Also a wide aggressive vibrato helps + a marshall amp and high, but it's not necessary.

Here I recorded an example for you; (same note + bend on 15th fret B string)

http://www.box.net/shared/iurkpinrts

I play the first note without any harmonic overtone, and on every bend after that, I add a slightly faster/wider vibrato and I add a littlebit more overtone, until it gets more aggressive and aggressive. (the settings stay exactly the same on every bend)

The last bend, my vibrato was so wide I caught the G string so you hear that double stop-ish in it. An accident, but it adds to the growl

Zakk wylde does an even wider vibrato though, but that's not really my thing

This comes through practice, just play around with hitting the string in different ways.

Start out slow and work up to speed.

Alot of my students aren't "aware" of how you can shape the sound of the same note, and it may not seem as much, but if you apply this to ur overall playing, it will become far more dynamic, and your playing in execution, will sound more "interesting".

Just take Paul Gilbert, how much people like him, yet he uses quite simple progression and note choice, but it's the way how he plays the notes that it stands out.

Dynamics is where it's at.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 11, 2009,
That is awesome. Sick video too. So you basically just hit the harmonic on the string/note that u are bending after raking the other strings to get that booming sound? Oh and i love that bluesy yet screaming tone you have. I play alot of blues but I havent been able to get anything quite like that. I play through a bugera 333-212. Could you suggest me some settings for somethin like that? Sounds like its on the crunch channel. I also have a danelectro fish n chips eq if thats needed..

I cant find much literature at all on these semi-harmonics. What difference in technique between them and a regular pinch harmonic?
Last edited by Watterboy at Mar 11, 2009,