I have been playing guitar for 3 or 4 hours a day and my hand and wrist are starting to hurt pretty bad. The palm of my hand is starting to get numb and my wrist is starting to hurt. Is this bad and will I eventually get used to it.
Just rest until the pain goes away.

If you went out ran for three miles or so and you weren't used to doing it I'm sure your legs would react in the same way.

Use your common sense bro.... or the search bar!!
This isn't normal; take a few days off and do some warm up exercises before playing in the future
lay off some, yeah you'd eventually get used to it but if it's hurting you may not be keeping the right form while you play

play for less time and keep stepping it up
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Is that the first time that happen? Wait until your ok before replaying guitar... Do exercice before playing...

You will be used to someday, if that have already happen or still hurt after a couple day then maybe try to consult
how long have you been playing? are you self taught?

tell us the details man

edit:

if you're new, then yeah expect your hand to hurt for practicing that much. mine did!

always always do some warm up excercises on the guitar like a very long chromatic scale to the 12th fret all across the strings and back, very slowly though.
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Last edited by nivlarama at Mar 10, 2009,
its a surefire symptom that you are becoming a zombie...you have to either sever your head or destroy your brain
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
I have been playing for only 6 weeks and is the first time it has happened.
Quote by DudE132
I have been playing for only 6 weeks and is the first time it has happened.

Then thats why, see why my post above, take advice of all

/thread
If you had the right technique, it shouldn't matter how fast you are or how long you've been playing. It should not hurt at all. My hand just barely hurts when I play and I'm gunna go see a doctor about it. Don't take pain lightly. You like playing guitar right? Then why should it have to hurt? Honestly, it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Go to a doctor!
Quote by The.new.guy
If you had the right technique, it shouldn't matter how fast you are or how long you've been playing. It should not hurt at all. My hand just barely hurts when I play and I'm gunna go see a doctor about it. Don't take pain lightly. You like playing guitar right? Then why should it have to hurt? Honestly, it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Go to a doctor!

OTT, but yeah if it makes you feel better then sure.

Before you go though, ask yourself this... if you tried anything new where it meant you'd have to apply your body, muscular skeleton etc to a different unused posture/position or just simply exertion. Do you think it would cause discomfort?

If you've never lifted weights and then went the gym every night? If you'd never ran any distance and then started to run 3 miles per evening?

I'm sure you'll agree there'll be a certain amount of discomfort. Well the same applies to guitar and there'll not be many people here who'll tell you different. The original post stated that the player felt discomfort after playing for several hours per day. Most would agree that's perfectly normal.
Don't force yourself if you feel pain.

Remember, discomfort is okay. Pain is NOT. Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. If you keep doing it, you can cause permanent damage.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Free
OTT, but yeah if it makes you feel better then sure.

Before you go though, ask yourself this... if you tried anything new where it meant you'd have to apply your body, muscular skeleton etc to a different unused posture/position or just simply exertion. Do you think it would cause discomfort?

If you've never lifted weights and then went the gym every night? If you'd never ran any distance and then started to run 3 miles per evening?

I'm sure you'll agree there'll be a certain amount of discomfort. Well the same applies to guitar and there'll not be many people here who'll tell you different. The original post stated that the player felt discomfort after playing for several hours per day. Most would agree that's perfectly normal.

There's a difference between weight lifting and playing the guitar. For one, in weight lifting, you're pressing your muscles to the absolute limits. Playing the guitar should not affect your muscles in this way. For one, it requires much less work from your muscles. Do you expect a guy that would type all day for his job to get a lot of pain in his arm/hand? I doubt it. It's the same with playing the guitar - it takes very little work from your muscles to do. I would not expect it to hurt his hands at all except for being tired - tired, not sore. Even after 4 hours.

P.S. I would like to see this moved to AT.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by eaton1012
Make sure your wrist aren't being put in painful/odd angles.

This is another good point. It might be that your wrists are at odd angles that could be considered harmful. For example; Your fretting hand's wrist shouldn't be bent so that the backside of your hand is pointing toward the ground. I'll post a pic. of what I'm talking about, if you need it.
This use to happen to me. Just rest awhile. No point in giving yourself some nasty arthritis when your older.
H e l l o .
I think the posture probably has alot to do with it. When I first started playing I practiced that much too and didn't get pain really at all. The problem came when I started learning the stairway solo at about 8 months of playing.

I would practice for about an hour and a half at whatever speed I was going at to get it down and my hand would swell up and hurt bad. I am pretty sure it is because I am self taught and in such never took the time to get good posture. I would recommend looking some stuff up for how your hand should be positioned, etc..
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.