Page 1 of 4
Realistically speaking, none of us will see world peace in our lifetimes even if there are countless people who advocate and actually do something substantial to achieve it. It's because of a lot of reasons; it's not like people are either pro or against peace. I think people will never really find a way to assert their ideas without using force of any form. But that is just me.

Today we had a pretty good discussion about this in class and I'd like to throw the question we revolved around to you guys:

Knowing that world peace is unattainable in our lifetime, does it completely discourage you from working towards it?

Personally, I don't see why I shouldn't work towards it regardless if it was possible in my life or not. Kinda like global warming. Even if it wasn't real, why shouldn't I recycle my stuff and reduce other **** going on in the world. It may sound pointless to keep working for something even though it won't happen, but I think we should keep believing anyway. What there to lose, right?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
my world = UG

mods = peace makers

my world is peaceful.
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
World peace will never happen and if it does only for a very short time there's just too many people on this earth all with different opinions, beliefs, and morals that will clash always. Although that doesn't discourage me from help making the world around me a better place for others if possible.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
These are the reasons that there will never be world peace:

1. Ego
2. Envy
3. Greed
4. Pride
5. Lust
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
World peace will be achieved when humans are wiped off the planet.

But even then, peace will not exist since there is an equal amount of competition amongst all living things.
Quote by divinecrossfire

1. Ego
2. Envy
3. Greed
4. Pride
5. Lust

I think you're missing two more. Wrath and Gluttony.
Quote by Jackal58
Nah, I don't really care. If the world was at complete peace it would probably suck. Too boring for my likes. Conflict brings changes.
i think the problam actually is that ppl believe peace is not attanable, so it never happens, once ppl see that peace can happen it probally will, but unfortunately most ppl have the attitude the its impossible for humans to be peaceful
This reminds me of a story I heard yesterday. Apparently there was a concert held to promote nonviolence (ahimsa, for smart people) and a fight broke out at the concert.

EDIT: Story Here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_re_us/nonviolence_concert_fight

That's proof that there will never be world peace, but that doesn't mean that I'm not peaceful. I do whatever gets me by.
Last edited by Hobby at Mar 10, 2009,
I do not work towards world peace, because world peace is only attainable when no human values differ. To have an entirely peaceful world would mean that the culmination of unique ideas and personalities, good or bad, that make up the human race would have to be uniform, which would mean we would lose what it means to be human in the first place.

World peace is unattainable, but reducing violence and war is not.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by manmanster
I do not work towards world peace, because world peace is only attainable when no human values differ. To have an entirely peaceful world would mean that the culmination of unique ideas and personalities, good or bad, that make up the human race would have to be uniform, which would mean we would lose what it means to be human in the first place.

World peace is unattainable, but reducing violence and war is not.

You have a good point.
Quote by Jackal58
Even if we achieved a Utopian society, there would still be cells of terrorist activity and dissenters, the key is to not let it bother you
Quote by Ghost of Sparta
As a musician, I do my peace keeping duties by playing righteous guitar and smoking ganja

Right on man!
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by heaven's gate
"Blah blah blah" - Hendrix, Lennon, etc.

that was a good laugh. but i actually do believe in working toward peace, and who knows, it could be in our life time, and i do think, that eventually we will achieve it.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Who the hell is working towards world peace?

It's just all about change.

Someday we'll have peace, or something resembling it even if it's not our particular idea about it now. Then, somebody is going to want a more forceful way of doing things.

Of course, supposedly, we won't get fooled again.
Into the flood again...
Quote by kikaykitko

I think you mean Wrath and Sloth.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by kikaykitko

wrath and gluttony come from the others
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
world peace/a utopian society would be pretty goddamn boring imo.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by divinecrossfire

1. Ego
2. Envy
3. Greed
4. Pride
5. Lust

6. Wrath
7. Sloth

World Peace and Total Anarchy can never be achieved.
Peace can't due to Evil
Anarchy can't due to Morality.
Really, anyone who views peace as "impossible but a nice idea" is as anti-peace as those who work actively against it. By enforcing that flawed idea that peace is impossible, we are ensuring that it will never happen. World peace is very possible, but it will only happen as a result of real individual change; it is not a change that governments can enforce.

:

1. Ego
2. Envy
3. Greed
4. Pride
5. Lust

All of those are overcome able. There is no such thing as a "selfish human nature."
Quote by Spamwise
Really, anyone who views peace as "impossible but a nice idea" is as anti-peace as those who work actively against it. By enforcing that flawed idea that peace is impossible, we are ensuring that it will never happen. World peace is very possible, but it will only happen as a result of real individual change; it is not a change that governments can enforce.

youre pretty disillusioned huh....
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
youre pretty disillusioned huh....

Care to clarify?
Quote by Von.
I think you mean Wrath and Sloth.

It's all three. He put Pride twice (Ego is the same thing) in the original.
Quote by Spamwise

All of those are overcome able. There is no such thing as a "selfish human nature."

Tell that to: Satan, Hades, Jeffrey Dahmer, Dennis Rader aka BTK, Charles Manson, Caligula, Nero, or Bin Laden
Quote by Spartan101400
Tell that to: Satan, Hades, Jeffrey Dahmer, Dennis Rader aka BTK, Charles Manson, Caligula, Nero, or Bin Laden

Well, Satan for one doesn't exist. Hades is a fictional location, not a person.

There have been people who have done and do horrible things, which just enforces the point that it is individual change that is necessary, not governmental change. As long as we think that such actions are just a part of life, they will continue to happen.
Quote by Spamwise

There have been people who have done and do horrible things, which just enforces the point that it is individual change that is necessary, not governmental change. As long as we think that such actions are just a part of life, they will continue to happen.

The point is that not everyone has a choice to do terrible things, some people are born with disorders or their parents fvcked their mind up, their must always be good and evil, if you are devoid of evil, you are not Human.
Quote by Spamwise
Care to clarify?

chaos is just a much a part of reality as is peace. chaos can be just as "perfect" or "beautiful" as peace. its just a matter of perspective.

not to mention for world peace to happen, it would require everyone to think the same, and hold the same ideals. the only way to get to that point is more or less through brainwashing. "intellectual enlightenment" will never bring everyone to the same point.

plus, you would have to eliminate hedonism, which people will never let go of on their own accord. only by government intervention could hedonism be eliminated.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Mar 10, 2009,
World peace is impossible, but I still think that it's something we should strive for.
I know that's somewhat contradictory, but that's how I feel about it.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

chaos is just a much a part of reality as is peace. chaos can be just as "perfect" or "beautiful" as peace. its just a matter of perspective.

I don't think genocide is beautiful. I don't think famine is beautiful. I don't think war is beautiful.

not to mention for world peace to happen, it would require everyone to think the same, and hold the same ideals. the only way to get to that point is more or less through brainwashing. "intellectual enlightenment" will never bring everyone to the same point.

Not necessarily. It will just take people realizing that the well-being of others affects them too.

plus, you would have to eliminate hedonism, which people will never let go of on their own accord. only by government intervention could hedonism be eliminated.

World peace wouldn't prevent people from seeking pleasure.
Quote by Spamwise

pretending they dont exist doesnt make it go away. the actions that those individuals took are a natural part of the human persona that cant ever be eliminated completely.

Quote by Spamwise
I don't think genocide is beautiful. I don't think famine is beautiful. I don't think war is beautiful.

Not necessarily. It will just take people realizing that the well-being of others affects them too.

World peace wouldn't prevent people from seeking pleasure.

everything youve stated is strictly opinion, which is exactly my point. world peace is only possible through brainwashing and indoctrinating everyone into the same beliefs.

youre talking about changing values which are intrinsically human. you cant change what is natural and what stems from whatever essence makes us human. war, violence, chaos, hate, all come from there. it is 100% impossible to completely deny those feelings and i also believe it is 100% unhealthy to deny those feelings and pretend they dont exist.

humans can never achieve peace. it is unattainable because of their nature.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns

pretending they dont exist doesnt make it go away. the actions that those individuals took are a natural part of the human persona that cant ever be eliminated completely.

Even if Satan does exist, it's irrelevant, as the bible too stresses free will.

everything youve stated is strictly opinion, which is exactly my point. world peace is only possible through brainwashing and indoctrinating everyone into the same beliefs.

So you find war, genocide, famine, etc beautiful? And I addressed that last point anyway. Variety is good. You don't have to conform to someone else's beliefs to care about other people. Though, honestly, if everyone lived like Jesus, we would have world peace anyway.

youre talking about changing values which are intrinsically human. you cant change what is natural and what stems from whatever essence makes us human. war, violence, chaos, hate, all come from there. it is 100% impossible to deny those feelings and i also believe it is 100% unhealthy to deny those feelings and pretend they dont exist.

Can you prove that these attitudes are intrinsic?
Quote by Spamwise
Even if Satan does exist, it's irrelevant, as the bible too stresses free will.

So you find war, genocide, famine, etc beautiful? And I addressed that last point anyway. Variety is good. You don't have to conform to someone else's beliefs to care about other people. Though, honestly, if everyone lived like Jesus, we would have world peace anyway.

Can you prove that these attitudes are intrinsic?

war, genocide, famine, can all be considered beautiful because they are all part of life, and are all part of what it means to be human. hate, lust, fear, death, violence, etc are all part of being human aswell. i dont see how pretending that those thoughts, feelings, and emotions dont exist as being helpful or beneficial to the human race.

war is absolutely 100% necessary to humanity. its always been part of this life, and part of humanity, and always will. to think otherwise is quite disillusioned imo.

and all those values are intrinsic because everyone feels them at one time or another, and the history of humanity has proved that they dont change over time. thats pretty good proof that those attitudes are intrinsic imo.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

peace doesnt mean that everyone thinks the same. peace doesnt equal no conflict, it just means the conflicts are transformed into a positive situation through non violant means
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
war, genocide, famine, can all be considered beautiful because they are all part of life, and are all part of what it means to be human. hate, lust, fear, death, violence, etc are all part of being human aswell. i dont see how pretending that those thoughts, feelings, and emotions dont exist as being helpful or beneficial to the human race.

war is absolutely 100% necessary to humanity. its always been part of this life, and part of humanity, and always will. to think otherwise is quite disillusioned imo.

and all those values are intrinsic because everyone feels them at one time or another, and the history of humanity has proved that they dont change over time. thats pretty good proof that those attitudes are intrinsic imo.

actually it hasn't been, war only really emerged during the neolithic period as a result of people settling in cities.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Honestly, the idea that any of those things are beautiful or could be beneficial is disgusting. Human suffering is not a good thing.

I never thought I'd have to explain that to anyone.

and all those values are intrinsic because everyone feels them at one time or another, and the history of humanity has proved that they dont change over time. thats pretty good proof that those attitudes are intrinsic.

Yes, people do feel that way, but we aren't forced to.

World peace is not a static state where no bad things happen. Sometimes there are people with psychological problems who commit crime out of no fault of their own; that's not going to stop. It's a state that will always have to be maintained.

it just means the conflicts are transformed into a positive situation through non violant means

That's a good way of putting it.
Yeah but it doesn't discouage me from passing the pipe and wishing.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Page 1 of 4