I'm starting to become a fan of dystopian novels such as 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Giver, and Farenheit 451. I'm looking for some suggestions as to more novels like this. Anyone know of any?

BTW, I thought there was a book/literature thread here but I searched around and couldn't find it. If there is one, I would appreciate a link plz.
Quote by Td_Nights
I went as Darth Vadar to a school dance before.

Sure I got kicked out, but the DJ played the Imperial March and I just felt badass.
I just read the giver in ISS on monday. It's really good. Didn't get into it so much the first time I read it in 6th grade, but now, with a more mature mind, it is really good.
well the Golden Compass series is anti-church, thats the only one i know u havent mentioned
The Handmaid's Tale.

Of all of the dystopian novels, Brave New World was my favorite, I think.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Which is the book Bladerunner was based on.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Second Rate
Anthem by Ayn Rand is pretty good....... and it's short.

DAMMIT!!! I was gonna say this one. It's my favorite book too.
The Giver was the worst paced book I have ever read. It took like 90 pages for that Jonas fag to even get anything done. If people were genetically modified to not see color, then how come Jonas does? Transmitting memories by a touch on the back? wtf?

Anywho, half-life 2.
Quote by bendystraw
The Giver was the worst paced book I have ever read. It took like 90 pages for that Jonas fag to even get anything done. If people were genetically modified to not see color, then how come Jonas does? Transmitting memories by a touch on the back? wtf?

Anywho, half-life 2.

because man, Jonas sees in color
****, I just got that band name

+1 to anthem by the way
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. The Pedestrian, by Ray Bradbury. Harrison Berguron (sp?).

And while you're reading these extremely short stories, try listening to OK Computer as background music.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
The Wanting Seed by Anthony Burgess.

Same guy who wrote A Clockwork Orange. It's one of the more interesting novels I've read. Verrrry dystopian, too.
Quote by ShredGod George
because man, Jonas sees in color

But he was chosen during his childhood, not before he was born. And nobody argues the touch on the back thing, they just leave it has a gaping plot hole.

The House of the Scorpion.

EDIT: and any book that has an extensive old person washing scene automatically sucks anyways.
Last edited by bendystraw at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Second Rate
Anthem by Ayn Rand is pretty good....... and it's short.

+348923. Just read Rand, shes insane.

Quote by IlikeTheSKA
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Which is the book Bladerunner was based on.

+1 to that too.

You already read every book I was going to suggest so...
*Leaves*

Ohwait, It's not a Dystopian novel but, read House of Leaves. Now.
I agree with The Wanting Seed. Its a favorite of mine, quite thought provoking aswell.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by SoftOath
the blue gathering or something like that

gathering blue.
its not actually the sequel but an accompaniment to the book
was i the only one disappointed by the giver's ending?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by circlinparkas10
gathering blue.
its not actually the sequel but an accompaniment to the book

isnt it the messenger
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

While I like dystopian novels, I'd have to say that they usually suffer from being far too similar, luckily this novel is quite refreshing. Atwood's dark humor and personal story telling gives the novel a unique feel. Also her feminist perspective is insightful, without being overbearing, which usually seems to be the case. It is quite a breath of fresh air, one you won't want to put down, and an exploration in intellectual thought.

I highly recommend it.
Quote by devit

no, they so thoroughly explained everything else in the book, why leave the ending up to interpretation?
This remindes me of when I read 1984 for the first time and watched Zeitgeist also for the first time all in the same day... needless to say, I shat bricks.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Quote by SevertheWicked
Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

While I like dystopian novels, I'd have to say that they usually suffer from being far too similar, luckily this novel is quite refreshing. Atwood's dark humor and personal story telling gives the novel a unique feel. Also her feminist perspective is insightful, without being overbearing, which usually seems to be the case. It is quite a breath of fresh air, one you won't want to put down, and an exploration in intellectual thought.

I highly recommend it.

Goddamnit, beaten to it!
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
Goddamnit, beaten to it!

Hey, at least there are more Atwood fans out there!

That's what counts.
Quote by SevertheWicked
Hey, at least there are more Atwood fans out there!

That's what counts.

MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by devit

I hated the ending so very much.
check out "We" by zamyatin. interesting, but not as good as other dystopians, but i hear about it alot less.
Quote by bendystraw
But he was chosen during his childhood, not before he was born. And nobody argues the touch on the back thing, they just leave it has a gaping plot hole.

EDIT: and any book that has an extensive old person washing scene automatically sucks anyways.

That was my favorite part

Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
Quote by bendystraw

Well it's fiction...meaning that "magic" or something could take place for the transmitting of memories.

The Giver's ending was pretty unfinished to me.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The Road by Cormac McCarthy is very dystopian. Also, check out Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by ShredGod George
A Clockwork Orange

Can it qualify as a dystopian novel? Although the program and the main character are fcked up, society is really like today. There's not much going on over there.

Quote by SRX700
The Road by Cormac McCarthy is very dystopian. Also, check out Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Mar 11, 2009,
Try Jennifer Government by Max Barry. In short, it's a parody of capitalism set in a privatized Australia.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Quote by urik
Can it qualify as a dystopian novel? Although the program and the main character are fcked up, society is really like today. There's not much going on over there.

I think you kind of have to look for it. I think it's dystopian in the sense that individual freedoms are taken away completely.
Quote by urik

The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it. The Road. Read it.

Excellent book but very heavy .
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
look up Philip K. Dick, he has a number of books and stories like do androids dream of electric sheep and minority report
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Quote by SRX700
I think you kind of have to look for it. I think it's dystopian in the sense that individual freedoms are taken away completely.

I'm not that sure... I mean, only the main character's freedoms are taken away. All of the other people and society is the same way, and SPOILER:
At the end the program fails

Quote by SRX700
Excellent book but very heavy .

It's amazing. I read it only some hours. Couldn't drop it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||