Going to have about $1000 after selling some stuff. Most likely no more than that.

I want a tube amp with a Fender-ish clean, crunchy too like a Bassman, and a possibility of gain like a Marshall. Preferably a tube amp. (Classic rock and blues like SRV, BBKing, Zeppelin, to Guns N Roses)

I currently own a Traynor YCV50, it's great but I think I can do better.

Here's what I've been thinking:
Fender SuperSonic
Fender Blues Deluxe
Traynor YCS50
Traynor YCV40WR
Peavey Windsor
Fender Hot Rod (Deluxe/Deville)
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking

any suggestions?
Thank you.

Ah yes and I will be playing small gigs with a band and during practice, and some bedroom prac.
Last edited by electrictone at Mar 12, 2009,
I want to follow this thread, as I have arround the same money, and play the same type of music, and need to upgrade amp for gigs
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
if your going fender go with the deville it has really great clean tones and can get some good crunch. also you might want to check out the voxac30. its a great amp that has some good tones and great tube overdrive.
Traynor YCS50
Traynor YCV40WR
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod (Deluxe/Deville)
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking

Those sound good, how much watt you want? Take a look at Bugera amp's. They sound good and are about your 1000$

Try them before buying or go see some video on youtube with people that use them...
Last edited by MangeuDePoutine at Mar 10, 2009,
I have a YCS-50 and its great. The clean channel can be fenderish with the proper settings. The overdrive channel is awesome. It has a modern/vintage switch to change the type of distorion you get which adds versatality for distorted tones. imo the vintage side of the switch gives a marshall like tone. Try it out definatly worth a look.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD
EVH Phase 90
Boss DD-7
Traynor YCS50
I think the Traynors are the best, I don't like Fender's overdrive. I think a GREAT suggestion for you to look at would be Laneys. In fact, I think they'll do you better than the Traynor.

out of that list: the fenders are good, i personally like the 4x10 deville. i've heard good things about the valveking too. i own a marshall TSL60, and having loved clean tones my whole life, it really isn't bad at all with some reverb and presence dialed in.

if you have $1000 to deal with, i'd say wait and save a few hundred more, for much better quality gear. go for a used marshall stack if you're leaning more towards the crunchy/gainy stuff, or for cleans (with some pedals in front of them for disortion/OD), maybe a fender twin reverb or 1965 deluxe reverb.

best bet is to go to a guitar center or local guitar shop and try out a bunch of amps and see which one you like. good luck!
98 Epiphone Flying V Korina (Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus)

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
1979 Marshall 1960A (original Greenbacks)
Last edited by Zaxl_Rose at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by DespisedIcon
A Laney would be good.

Any specific Laney? Not sure what to look for on the laney site.
Your YCV is better than the Valveking and the Windsor for those tones, I'll tell you that. I've heard the YCS is more versatile than the V. The Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville have horrid distortion channels... a Classic 30 seems more like a sidestep than an upgrade too. Dunno about the Blues Deluxe.

As for amps to check out:

1. Sovtek MIG
2. Laney AOR
3. Marshall JCM800
4. Ceriatone makes some Marshall clones.
5. Budda Superdrive 18
6. Marshall DSL50
7. Mesa Express or DC-3/5 or F-30/50
8. Mesa Stiletto Deuce
9. Mesa Mark III
10. Peavey 3120 (perhaps a bit too metally for your needs)

Most of these are to be found used, save for the 3120.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Would a switch from a Traynor YCV50 Blue (great amp) to a YCS50 be worth it? (I can get a brand new YCS50 right now for $700)
That's up to you. If you like the tone more then it's worth it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Raijouta
Your YCV is better than the Valveking and the Windsor for those tones, I'll tell you that. I've heard the YCS is more versatile than the V. The Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville have horrid distortion channels... a Classic 30 seems more like a sidestep than an upgrade too. Dunno about the Blues Deluxe.

As for amps to check out:

1. Sovtek MIG
2. Laney AOR
3. Marshall JCM800
4. Ceriatone makes some Marshall clones.
5. Budda Superdrive 18
6. Marshall DSL50
7. Mesa Express or DC-3/5 or F-30/50
8. Mesa Stiletto Deuce
9. Mesa Mark III
10. Peavey 3120 (perhaps a bit too metally for your needs)

Most of these are to be found used, save for the 3120.

All of these plus a Fender HRD or BJr with an OD or dist. of some sort.
Traynor YCV50. Tried one the other day. The cleans are great (comparable to Fender cleans if you mess around with the settings.) The overdrive is great for classic and hard rock. Sounds much like a Marshall to me. Very nice amp.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
May want to check out the Egnater Rebel 20 also. Very versatile.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
No To Windsor
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
You don't like the YCV50 eh?

What if you just retubed it or put a new speaker in it? It's a pretty cool amp.

I'd say stick with it, but uh, it's your call.

Got it retubed, it has a great speaker, but it just doesn't compare to my bandmate's Fender Blues Deluxe, (which has a pretty awesome tone imo.)
I tried a YCV50 Blue and I fell in love lol, the cleans are very fenderish and the overdrive sounds very marshall to me, very nice amp. It also had a master volume which a nice feature. Also comes witha stock Celestion V30 speaker.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Why not try a Traynor YCV80.I love mine!It just needs a tube change and speaker change and after the upgrades you still will be under a $1000.The amp is awesome and very versitle
Quote by JoePerry4life
I tried a YCV50 Blue and I fell in love lol, the cleans are very fenderish and the overdrive sounds very marshall to me, very nice amp. It also had a master volume which a nice feature. Also comes witha stock Celestion V30 speaker.

The cleans are great, but no where near fenderish. And I was going for a Marshall overdrive, but it turned out to be way to dark, even for a Marshall. When we're in band practice, my amp is so dark (on both channels) that it doesn't cut the mix, but you can definitely hear my bandmate's fender blues deluxe. I don't know. there's just some sort of clean-ness or brightness to his amp to where it just overpowers mine, even at similar volumes...
The Orange Rocker 30 would be perfect for you, but as you live in the USA, it would cost too much as you will have to pay import taxes and shipping and stuff...
So you better look out for amps that are MIA.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Fender amps have magical cleans, but their OD leaves much to be desired. You can find yourself a good used blues deluxe for $400 on craigslist/ebay, then you'd have 600 bucks left over

That or the valveking, I enjoyed that one but the Blues Deluxe will always have my heart (until my soldano clone is done being built )
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by LP_CL
The Orange Rocker 30 would be perfect for you, but as you live in the USA, it would cost too much as you will have to pay import taxes and shipping and stuff...
So you better look out for amps that are MIA.

Yeah I had looked at Oranges. What do you think would be an American equivalent?

Quote by apollo66
Fender amps have magical cleans, but their OD leaves much to be desired. You can find yourself a good used blues deluxe for $400 on craigslist/ebay, then you'd have 600 bucks left over

That or the valveking, I enjoyed that one but the Blues Deluxe will always have my heart (until my soldano clone is done being built )

You can always throw a TS on it! Have you tried that btw?
Yes, I use a TS-9 instead of the Blues Deluxe's gain channel, it sounds amazing.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by electrictone
Yeah I had looked at Oranges. What do you think would be an American equivalent?

Haha, well, tbh, there is no equivalent to an Orange. Orange and Matamp are unique amps. If you want that sound, that is what you going to have to get.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Orange amps sound great, but a new Rocker 30 head will run you about $1400 in the US, which honestly isn't that bad.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by electrictone
The cleans are great, but no where near fenderish. And I was going for a Marshall overdrive, but it turned out to be way to dark, even for a Marshall. When we're in band practice, my amp is so dark (on both channels) that it doesn't cut the mix, but you can definitely hear my bandmate's fender blues deluxe. I don't know. there's just some sort of clean-ness or brightness to his amp to where it just overpowers mine, even at similar volumes...

What guitar do you use and do you use an EQ pedal?

I really don't think you need a new amp, you need to be patient and spend more time learning how to get the best out of the one you have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 12, 2009,
Hmm, considdering they go for 750 EUR here, 1400$ is alot of money for that amp. Maybe try finding one for 1000$ second hand?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by steven seagull
What guitar do you use and do you use an EQ pedal?

I really don't think you need a new amp, you need to be patient and spend more time learning how to get the best out of the one you have.

I do not have an EQ...
I use a Mex Fender Strat or Slash Gibson Les Paul or Epiphone Coronet.

Also, I just researched the Fender SuperSonic it looks awesome. Bassman grunt, supercleans, classic OD, Blues! Any comments?
Last edited by electrictone at Mar 12, 2009,
Buy an EQ pedal before you buy a new amp - doesn't matter how much cash you have, nobody got rich by wasting money.

I've used a YCV50 and it wasn't at all dark, it was pretty bright and as far as versatility goes I could get just about any sound from it - and that was using my Iceman with the Breeds in it. Now my Ashdown, now that's a dark sounding amp, but nothing that can't be sorted with an EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Peavey Classic 30 vs Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey Classic 50 4x10 vs Fender Hot Rod Deville
???
Last edited by electrictone at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I really like the Supersonic. Sounds like the amp you want!

The fender site makes that amp sound awesome! Maybe I could find a used one...

How about a Traynor YCS (50 or 90) vs. Peavey Classic (30 112or 50 212,410) vs Fender Hot Rod Series
Last edited by electrictone at Mar 23, 2009,
I'm starting to think an amp with a good clean, possibly just one channel, that can get get dirty would be a nice option. I could always throw on a TS or a distortion pedal...