Hi guys, I need advice on the lower end spectrum of amp, the lower wattage practice amp if you will but I ask with three things in mind. The price, the wattage and more importantly, the 'size'.

I know there are some good sounding little practice amps out there but I'm after something that'll sit alongside my desk and can be used quickly and conveniantly without having to drag out all the 'big' stuff out, if you will.

At the moment I use a really ****ty 10W Yamaha amp for this purpose but the sound is deadly. Especially as I've been putting my bass through it recently and I guess the speaker is dying/dead. No loss as it never sounded good in the first place. What I need is something that can accomodate my needs but be small enough to fit into the small gap where my existing crappy amp sits.

So in terms of whats good enough tonally to pass as a decent practice amp, but is small enough as to pass itself off as not only portable but 'small', what would be the choice amongst the spectrum of small wattage amps?

Please don't recommend tube amps, unless theres a very very cheap 'small' one that I don't know about. I have tube amps to gig with, this is purely about getting a good sound out of a small amp that I can switch on/off quickly when the mood/insperation, takes me.

Hope that make sense, TIA.
Roland Micro Cube, great little amp.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
epi valve junior - sets you back about 150USD and is superb

wouldn't put a bass through a 8" speaker though...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Mar 10, 2009,
you shouldnt play a bass through a guitar amp. its bad for the power amp section and especially for the speaker. as for practice amps the fender G-dec is very nice because it has so many FX and amp models built in so you dont have to play connect the dots with your pedals when you want certain sounds. plus it has a tuner and beat machine built in and you can run an audio signal into it from a cd player to play along and it has a headphone out for silent practice when necessary. theres a big selection of amps like the g-dec out there and i would suggest shopping around and finding the one with the most practice frendiely features that you like the sound of.
Can't believe I didn't mention..... I should know this by know.... I play anything up to classic rock, so metal type tones are unimportant, cheers.
do youplay bass a lot actually? that's going to **** up a guitar amp but playing guitar won't do anything to a bass amp (if you can ignore the overly bassy sound...)

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I'd push for a microcube. I believe they make bass ones if you use a bass frequently enough. It'll sound fine with a guitar too.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Roland Micro Cube

Yep, Roland make good amp's home... I got a 20x Cube and that sound awesome for most of music style.
Thanks for the help so far on this guys, sorry for being pain here but yeah I know all the amps mentioned sound good, the Vypr, Spider, Vox, Fender & Cube, but my original query is based upon tone vs size. For instance, I got to play about with a Vox VT30 the other day and although I was impressed with the sound as a practice amp goes it was just simply too big for my needs.

So to recap, whats the best tonally acceptable 'small' amp out there?

And don't worry about the bass stuff, thats covered now thanks, its just how I managed to destroy the existing one.
Last edited by Free at Mar 10, 2009,
fender don't make anything decent under a 30w valve - and with fender thats loud
peavey vyper is decent and comes in all sizes sounding the same - if you want practice amps they're good
spider - don't even think about it unless you're Ha|3dc0r3?!? lolz! the distortion sound horribly digital and is unsuitable for all genre's apart from those which are unsuitable themselves.
vox ad15/30 are nice try them see what you think on the modelling scale (think they're now renamed vt?)

check out anything 5w valve - valve junior - blackstar ht5 - engl make something too - if you care about sound while practising, this is the place to go tbh

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
The MicroCube is awesome
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
MicroCube, or if I had $400 burning a hole, Blackstar HT-5.
Check out a Fender Super Champ XD. It is a little more expensive than a lot of the ones mentioned, but it has a tube power circuit and 17 voices, many of them quite sweet sounding, to me, much better sounding than the other modeling amps I have heard. It also has a decent and nice sounding compliment of built-in effects.

Not sure if it is too big, 15" high, 17.5" wide and 9" deep. About 300 bucks new, hard to find used.

For me it is a perfect practice amp, sounds nice at low volumes, yet loud enough to play with a drummer if you don't have your main rig. Sounds much better at low volumes than the low watt tube amps that I tried out when I bought this, and far more versatile. Check one out if you get a chance.
Quote by Free
Thanks for the help so far on this guys, sorry for being pain here but yeah I know all the amps mentioned sound good, the Vypr, Spider, Vox, Fender & Cube, but my original query is based upon tone vs size. For instance, I got to play about with a Vox VT30 the other day and although I was impressed with the sound as a practice amp goes it was just simply too big for my needs.

So to recap, whats the best tonally acceptable 'small' amp out there?

And don't worry about the bass stuff, thats covered now thanks, its just how I managed to destroy the existing one.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

line in/ headphone and small speaker out capabilities.

should be end thread, unless you wanted a speaker. then i guess a da5?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 11, 2009,
Why not get any inexpensive floor modeler and a set of headphones. A used Yamaha DG Stomp and some semi-decent headphones shouldn't set you back more than $150.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
roland cube series. theyre small and sounds pretty good for being SS. check it out.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
I wanted a small lugable practice amp, and put size, price, and tone in as the requirements. I bought a Vypyr 15 and replaced the cheap 8" speaker with a 10" speaker. The speaker was sort of free because I used the HH INvader out of my Laney LC15 with the intention of upgrading it's speaker.

I couldn't be happier with the Vypyr 15. It's exactly what I wanted. A small cheap amp with good tone.
I went out and looked at the 15Watters, but although I'm sure they're all as good as everyone mentioned, they were all a little too big for the small space I have. (the small space that I'll get away with without Mrs Free hitting me with it).

I didn't bother with the small tube amps because as I said I'm good to go in that department and my budget was never going to get me there.

I settled on a Vox DA5 with the classic finish. Perfect size for what I was looking for without compromising on tone too much. This thing sounds great for it's small size. Ok it doesn't compare to my 2x12 but considering what it is and the fact that its so light and portable, it's excellent for those 'reach for guitar and play' moments sitting at your desk. I'm quite pleased.

Thanks to everyone who took time to help.