my best guess
each of the frets, or at least 3,5,7,9 and so on, are kinda like guitar hero guitars and can be pushed in, and when you push it in it lights up, how you actually do that tho i dunno but that is pretty cool
i think the way this is achieved, to my best guess, is each LED has its own power source, and it works like the simple light circuts you make in elementary school, with a 2 wires and a battery, and a switch, except, both ends of the wire are attached to the frets, for instance, one wire would be attached to the third fret wire, and the other would be attached to the 4th fretwire, so when you press down the string, it is touching both the third and 4th fret wires, and it is completing the circut.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
You simply need to hook one end of the circuit to the bridge and then have it branch out to the individual leds which will then be connected to the fret itself. The string will then act as a circuit breaker.
Quote by acetherockstar
my best guess
each of the frets, or at least 3,5,7,9 and so on, are kinda like guitar hero guitars and can be pushed in, and when you push it in it lights up, how you actually do that tho i dunno but that is pretty cool

i know. each fret and string (e.g: 12th fret and 1st string) becomes a switch when it's pushed down your making a connection. diodes will be included to make sure the power travels the right way after the LEDs.

Have you ever bothered to contact the people when you've watched the vid some are illing to tell or send you the schematics.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
My best guesse on that is that the frets themselves are conected behind the fretboard to a small circuit containing a LED and the bridge of the guitar so that when the strings touch the frets they complete a circuit lighting up the specific LEDs. I drew up a diagram below.
PS I forgot to draw in a 1k resistor, but itll be in there, and an on/off switch also.

EDIT: I think this one is really neat, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9u0q2n650&feature=related

Last edited by PainIsPower at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by PainIsPower
My best guesse on that is that the frets themselves are conected behind the fretboard to a small circuit containing a LED and the bridge of the guitar so that when the strings touch the frets they complete a circuit lighting up the specific LEDs. I drew up a diagram below.
PS I forgot to draw in a 1k resistor, but itll be in there, and an on/off switch also.

EDIT: I think this one is really neat, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9u0q2n650&feature=related

this is either this guy's or another's schematic for this. I take no credit for it.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
you don't need diodes after the LEDs, the LEDs are diodes, themselves

and you won't need seperate power sourcesfor each LED, either..

negative from the battery goes to ground (as usual)

from the positive terminal of the battery, wire in a resistor (value depends on the LED(s) you use).

connect all the anodes from the LEDs (positive leads) to the resistor

each cathode (negative lead) gets soldered to the bottom of the fret.

when the string (connected to the bridge, connected to ground (negative of battery)) is touched to the fret, the LED corrosponding to that fret lights up

no need for additional diodes or more than one power source

mounting the LEDs in there would be a bit of a task, but it'd be the same as putting 'regular' LED markers in the neck, plus the cathode connections to the fret bottoms

edit: and in the time I took to type it out, PainIsPower drew out exactly what I was describing...

so yeah, listen to him.
Last edited by james4 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by james4
you don't need diodes after the LEDs, the LEDs are diodes.

diodes are used if you do the diagram I posted. it includes an all on mode which has the diodes on.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
diodes are used if you do the diagram I posted. it includes an all on mode which has the diodes on.

you posted your diagram while he was writing his, so you got yours up before he saw. I remember seeing that diagram some where though, just couldnt find it. You are right though, if you want the all on you need the diodes, but if you arent using it, then you dont need them
Quote by james4
yeah, sorry about that

I was just typing slow while you posted, so I didnt see your post until after I"d already posted

edit: damn you and your fast typing, PIP

*shakes fist*

no probs. I made a mistake should of looked at the schematic before i posted. I knew it had diodes as well as LEDs just couldn't remember where.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
no probs. I made a mistake should of looked at the schematic before i posted. I knew it had diodes as well as LEDs just couldn't remember where.

no worries

..but yeah, that light up pickup looks pretty sweet...

If I'm seeing it correctly, the bottom ones light up before all of them, sort of like a digital VU meter?

if thats the case, I'm guessing the circuit is pretty similar to whats inside a VU meter...

..except...I don't know what that is...

*is off to search google*
I found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/LM3915LM3916-VU-Meter/

looks like the guy built it for use with an ipod, but I"d assume similar results can be achieved by hooking to the output of a guitar..

I can't remember what the output voltage of a guitar vs. an ipod is, though..

I know they're both in the mV range, but I dunno if they're similar to know if the guitar could drive a circuit like that..

*off to do some more digging around*

edit: it's starting to look like I was wrong about that..

(judging by what i've seen invader jim mention in a few threads), a guitars gonna put out around 100mV, where an mp3 player can put out 1 to 4V...

so a guitar may not be able to drive the circuit I posted...

I'm sure the one in the video uses the same principal, though.. just a bit of tweaking to accomodate lower input voltages?
Last edited by james4 at Mar 11, 2009,
if i'm not mistaken, because i'm not and i remember seeing it on here, there should be a thread buried around here explaining exactly how it was done.
Hmm, that VU meter could would and would be neat. Could always run a boost infront of the meter to get levels up?

My thought was to run it into a Y splitter? take one half for your signal, one half for the lights. Would probably want to run an active spliter, so you get useable signal on either chanel. For the light half, give it more boost, and then run it through a voltage doubling rectifier, and hope you have enough oompf to turn the lights on. That was my idea.
Quote by noisefarmer
if i'm not mistaken, because i'm not and i remember seeing it on here, there should be a thread buried around here explaining exactly how it was done.

do you mean for the LED fret lights, or the light-up pickup-dealie?

If you mean the lights in the pup, then sweet, I wouldnt mind seeing a diagram for that

if not, then:

Quote by PainIsPower
Hmm, that VU meter could would and would be neat. Could always run a boost infront of the meter to get levels up?

My thought was to run it into a Y splitter? take one half for your signal, one half for the lights. Would probably want to run an active spliter, so you get useable signal on either chanel. For the light half, give it more boost, and then run it through a voltage doubling rectifier, and hope you have enough oompf to turn the lights on. That was my idea.

and active y splitter of some kind would probably be the answer

although in the link I posted, theres 10 LEDs, and the ipod seems to light them all pretty eaily. if you used the 'bottom' 6 LEDs in the pickup situation, it may be possible that the first few lights light with light strumming, and the last lights only come on with very hard strumming. that being said, I don't know what the voltage threshold for lighting each LED is, so a booster'd proably still be needed..

tl;dr: yes, an active Y-splitter would probably be the thing to use
hmm

I'll have to do a bit more reading on relays..

I had one lab class on them, but it was just one simple circuit last semester, I'm not very confident in my knowledge of relays yet..

..its basically a switch thats controlled by another electrical signal, right?

like, point A and B are connected when power's applied to C?

which, iirc, is similar to using a transistor as a switch?

am I right in thinking that?

edit: I can can see how that'd work if you used a sensitive enough one, but that'd just make all the lights turn on/off together, right? no so much the VU meter like in the video..
Last edited by james4 at Mar 11, 2009,