quick background info:
my mom recently screwed up her computer by clicking random popups on the internet and getting viruses, so i reinstalled windows, all went smoothly there..

My Problem:
It's a desktop computer, but it has a build in wireless adapter. There are no drivers or anything to get that setup. The wireless connections icon isn't showing up on the taskbar, and in the wireless connections folder there is no wireless connection icon. Windows help said to make it display by going into the network connections folder and opening LAN and High Speed Internet Connections (i think that's what it was called), but that's not there. Help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by K Dizzle at Mar 10, 2009,
What kind of laptop?
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by K Dizzle

my mom recently screwed up her computer by clicking random popups on the internet and getting viruses

Quote by K Dizzle
it's not a laptop

Well what brand of desktop? That's weird that it has a built in wifi but I guess its probably standard now o.o
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ScottElwood
Well what brand of desktop? That's weird that it has a built in wifi but I guess its probably standard now o.o

it's an HP

i've never seen the built in wireless adapter before either, and i'm decent with computers. It's not a new computer either, it's form 2003 i believe. I'm not completely sure as my uncle gave it to her.

and Powerhouse:

it's true, i will admit i've messed up my computer with 'popups' a time or two
Well, this goes to show you that before you format and reinstall any OS, you look at your device manager and find out the correct names and numbers of your hardware so you can download drivers on another PC and transfer them over.

The fix is pulling the hardware out and searching for the product info on it, then searching out drivers.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by K Dizzle
it's an HP

i've never seen the built in wireless adapter before either, and i'm decent with computers. It's not a new computer either, it's form 2003 i believe. I'm not completely sure as my uncle gave it to her.

and Powerhouse:

it's true, i will admit i've messed up my computer with 'popups' a time or two

Do you have like a product number? I assume it would be on the motherboard cd.
It'll probably be a PCI card. Try opening it and seeing what brand it is, then search on another computer for drivers. There usually are drivers, or else it wouldn't have the sufficient software to run it. I don't know of many motherboards with intergrated wireless, and the ones I do know of are fairly new.
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
Quote by K Dizzle
i don't have the motherboard CD.
My uncle sent the computer to my mom for Christmas, and just sent the hardware. He'd gotten everything set up for her, but she managed to screw it up

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=82702&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

That is a link to HP drivers if you know which computer number and type it is.