I wanna learn guitar. but i have a couple questions

1) are guitar lessons worth it? is it worth it for the teacher to correct ur mistake as ur starting out?

cause im thinkin of doing it im own, b/c i already know how to read music and played the sax before.. so im thkin learnin the basic first and evnetually go bit more advance entirely on my own.

2) wuts decent guitar for under $200, im a student, so i dont have alot of cash to spend around.. so i wanna get a decent guitar that i can use for now, then as i become better, i can move onto a better quality one. i live in toronto,canada.. so can someone recommand me a good store to get it?( i only know steve's music)

thx!
1. I never took lessons so i dunno

2. This was my first guitar:

It works pretty well plus i've upgraded it quite a bit so it sounds pretty good. It's a beauty to. Bought it for $150-170, cant remember.
Sail upon the open skies
Lessons are definitely worth it, and for a beginner guitar just get like an ibanez or epiphone starter pack that comes with an amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG7321-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=518876
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by angusfan16

It works pretty well plus i've upgraded it quite a bit so it sounds pretty good. It's a beauty to. Bought it for $150-170, cant remember.

First acts suck! :P

Honestly, the guitar isn't as important as you'd think. All that matters is the general quality, which would be like the tuning stability, tone and sustain, and the reliability. I'd say be willing to spend as much on an amp if not more.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Lesson are worth it, very helpful
the fender squier starter pack is really good for a starter
Lessons are VERY helpful. Especially starting out because your teacher can correct you before you develop bad habits.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Da Squiz
First acts suck! :P

Honestly, the guitar isn't as important as you'd think. All that matters is the general quality, which would be like the tuning stability, tone and sustain, and the reliability. I'd say be willing to spend as much on an amp if not more.

I've put about $300 worth of improvement into that guitar! and it's not a first act.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by angusfan16

That's a pretty good looking guitar you got there, Anus.

(You know you sig doesn't help, just makes it worse :P )

I never took lessons, i want(ed) to but i don't have the money. I got my ESP LTD F-10 starter kit for $200 and got a distortion pedal to give it a better sound. It works. Nothing too fancy but i wouldn't want anything fancy either.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
find a guitar that feels comftable, and find someone who can play see if it is of decent quality and has all the right charecteristics, but the feel and the sound are important. Make sure it feels and sounds good to you, not someone else. Especially anyone selling you the guitar....
i wanna learn acoustic 1st.. then electrice(if possible..)

also i can either 1) take private lesson..(prolly expensive)

2) take a course at my university(think everyone is there is beginner)
donno how many ppl is in a class(will check it out tomm)

so which one is better? the 2nd option prolly gonna be cheaper.. cause its like 3 month, and its a 1 class a week, so thats 12 classes..

vs 12 lesson in private..

any good place to buy in guitar in GTA(ontario, canada)?
Quote by replicat0r
i wanna learn acoustic 1st.. then electrice(if possible..)

also i can either 1) take private lesson..(prolly expensive)

2) take a course at my university(think everyone is there is beginner)
donno how many ppl is in a class(will check it out tomm)

so which one is better? the 2nd option prolly gonna be cheaper.. cause its like 3 month, and its a 1 class a week, so thats 12 classes..

vs 12 lesson in private..

any good place to buy in guitar in GTA(ontario, canada)?
If I was you I'd try and talk to people that have already done the course at your uni, and talk to the teacher to see if it sounds like you'll get what you want form it. If it does I'd be tempted to go for that one to start with, cos then you get to play with other people too. It should be a lot cheaper than private lessons though, as the teacher will be splitting his attention between all of you.

If you go for private lessons make sure you do some research and find a good teacher - lessons are only helpful if you have a decent teacher.
Quote by replicat0r
I wanna learn guitar. but i have a couple questions

1) are guitar lessons worth it? is it worth it for the teacher to correct ur mistake as ur starting out?

cause im thinkin of doing it im own, b/c i already know how to read music and played the sax before.. so im thkin learnin the basic first and evnetually go bit more advance entirely on my own.

2) wuts decent guitar for under $200, im a student, so i dont have alot of cash to spend around.. so i wanna get a decent guitar that i can use for now, then as i become better, i can move onto a better quality one. i live in toronto,canada.. so can someone recommand me a good store to get it?( i only know steve's music)

thx!

1. Yes
2. You should start with an acoustic guitar
Lessons make it much easier- but some of the greatest guitarists of the 20th century were self-taught.

i brought a decent telecaster copy for £60, which is about $82.69, last year at fretz in hemel hempstead old town. the thing is, this was probably a sale offer- and i don't think they're doing it at the moment
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Last edited by mcfreaki at Mar 11, 2009,