I know what you're all thinking, the BC Rich Bronze Warlock is a ****ty guitar. I know.

But I'm thinking of buying an EMG-81 to replace one of the standard BC Rich humbuckers (bridge).

Should I get one of these, or buy a better guitar, say, around 200-350 range??

And if so, what guitar?? I mostly play thrash/death metal, by the way.

Thanks.
Yes - get a better guitar.

ESP. It's the only answer.

That or an Ibanez RG321. Although with this one, you'll probably wanna swap the pickups out asap. The PSND Ibanez puts in lower end stock models aren't that great. Still better than BC Rich's, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Thanks, I've actually considered the Ibanez RG321. But which ESP is best in that said price range??

EDIT: Since I'm close to getting the cash for the EMG-81, should I get that, put it in the BW, then save up for the Ibanez?
Last edited by Deicidal at Mar 10, 2009,

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Wow, this has been some great info. Thanks much, will be getting a new axe instead.
Once again, thanks so much
Now that guitar center is starting to stock them, you may be able to find some in stores, along with the occasional used ones i see. I'm not sure where Kent is exactly but the Kirkland GC has a couple used LTDs for sale. One was an EC-1000 for i think $450, good condition.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Now that guitar center is starting to stock them, you may be able to find some in stores, along with the occasional used ones i see. I'm not sure where Kent is exactly but the Kirkland GC has a couple used LTDs for sale. One was an EC-1000 for i think $450, good condition.

Oh sh*t you're in Washington state, apparently.

Go to Bellevue American Music and ask for Gi (pronounced with a hard G) or Johnny. They'll take care of you.

Got great selection there and good deals as well. Definitely worth checking out if you can get out that way.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I'm in Wa too. Small world.

If you go, tell them Jason sent you. They know me there.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Hopefully no one breaks the Washingtonian combo.

I could try heading over to Bellevue and Kirkland once I get a car, but the only place I go to is the Mills Music here. Plus I've never left King Co. for at least 5 years hahaha. Guitard Center intimidates me. But I could try those.
Last edited by Deicidal at Mar 11, 2009,
^sorry guys
when getting an ESP, make sure its at LEAST a 100 model.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by strat0blaster
Yes - get a better guitar.

ESP. It's the only answer.

That or an Ibanez RG321. Although with this one, you'll probably wanna swap the pickups out asap. The PSND Ibanez puts in lower end stock models aren't that great. Still better than BC Rich's, though.

Why would he want to swap the pickups out asap - what if his amp is crap...what if his ears are crap?

I get sick to death of people jumping in with "buy x, but you'll want to swap the pickups" when most of the time the people recomending the pickups swap have never even done one themselves.

Pickup swaps are never an essential upgrade, and the only time you should consider them is when you can hear room for improvement YOURSELF, as in when your ears get to the point where you can hear subtle things lacking inyour tone and when you have enough experience to be able to figure out where the problem lies. If someone has to tell you to change pickups, and you have to ask why then you don't need to change pickups, simple as. Sure, the Powersounds aren't the greatest of pickups in absolute terms, but they're still good enough for Paul Gilbert to use.

The daft thing is pickup swaps have become the fashionalble thing for noob guitarists to aspire to whereas in reality the majority of pro guitarists never even bother changing pickups, mainly because your typical pro guitarist doesn't make loads of money and has to prioritise and spend money on important things. If you have 150 gigs/sessions to play each year you need a decent guitar and backup, a damned reliable amp and a crapload of strings - superfluous crap like pickups simply isn't an issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Why would he want to swap the pickups out asap - what if his amp is crap...what if his ears are crap?

I get sick to death of people jumping in with "buy x, but you'll want to swap the pickups" when most of the time the people recomending the pickups swap have never even done one themselves.

Pickup swaps are never an essential upgrade, and the only time you should consider them is when you can hear room for improvement YOURSELF, as in when your ears get to the point where you can hear subtle things lacking inyour tone and when you have enough experience to be able to figure out where the problem lies. If someone has to tell you to change pickups, and you have to ask why then you don't need to change pickups, simple as. Sure, the Powersounds aren't the greatest of pickups in absolute terms, but they're still good enough for Paul Gilbert to use.

The daft thing is pickup swaps have become the fashionalble thing for noob guitarists to aspire to whereas in reality the majority of pro guitarists never even bother changing pickups, mainly because your typical pro guitarist doesn't make loads of money and has to prioritise and spend money on important things. If you have 150 gigs/sessions to play each year you need a decent guitar and backup, a damned reliable amp and a crapload of strings - superfluous crap like pickups simply isn't an issue.

this man has said it all

in ts' situation, a pickup swap will only be a cosmetic upgrade... unless of course he has a high end marshall stack or similar. get a new amp, you'll get a better tone without a goddam pickup change
Quote by steven seagull

I get sick to death of people jumping in with "buy x, but you'll want to swap the pickups" when most of the time the people recommending the pickups swap have never even done one themselves.

Fixed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 11, 2009,
cheers

wasn't necessarily directed at you in particular, it's just getting annoying
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What it should be, is buy X guitar, but you might want to upgrade your amp.
Seeing as the amp has the majority of the tone, shouldn't it be the most important?
But to TS: What amp do you have currently? I can almost guarantee the EMG's won't be the sound you're after, especially if you have a solid-state amp (Which I'm thinking you do).
You will want to get a new guitar, but more importantly a new amp (Depends on what amp you have though).
superman is killing himself tonight