#1
I'm primarily a guitarist but I just bought a cheap Squier P-bass to mess around with. I'm just wondering how much of a "rattling" sound is normal on the E string? When I play the string open, it sounds fine. But if I'm on, say, the 3rd fret I'd say 75% of the sound is the note and then the other 25% is some sort of rattling sound. I'm just not sure if this is how basses are, or if something needs to be adjusted. Is a little bit of that to be expected?
#4
Well it is a cheap bass, so there will be flaws, but in more metal genres, a rattling noise is accepted on bass. i personally love the metal clingy noise, and like you said about the 75% 25% thing, thats the way i like it
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
#5
Quote by PluckU
Well it is a cheap bass, so there will be flaws, but in more metal genres, a rattling noise is accepted on bass. i personally love the metal clingy noise, and like you said about the 75% 25% thing, thats the way i like it

Yeah, I like clangy.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that


Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze


Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.



www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
#6
95% of the time the problem with people starting out on bass is that they are playing too hard. Just gently roll your finger over the top of the string, exerting a downward pressure.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
#7
I would agree with Ivanator. If you are just beginning finger playing on bass, you might be hitting the string too hard. What's happening is when you're fretting, the string bounces off the fret, where as, it doesn't happen on the open strings. This is sometimes actually wanted by bassists, it adds a bit more of a clank into the tone (I love it personally), but each to their own.

If you feel you want it, keep it as it is, if not, you can do one of two things that will almost definitely remove the problem (and they were both mentioned above).

1. Adjust the action slightly higher.
2. Learn to hit the strings softer, obtaining volume through the amp, not your plucking style.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
#8
Indeed, I like my bass where I can play soft and get good clean sound, or I can hit hard and get the clang.